Jack McDevitt fiction

  • Steve Something
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 21 6:06 PM
      Currently reading "Hello Out There", a collection of two earlier
      short novels that have been redacted to get rid of anachronisms,
      having just finished "Polaris". I picked both of these up at I-CON
      (short report posted in the annex) and I have to say that they are
      excellent reads.

      McDevitt is truly a master at building pace and developing characters
      one cares about, characters who behave realistically and have
      understandable reactions to events, and I urge you all to experience
      his fiction firsthand if you haven't already.

      "Polaris", his latest novel, is a mystery wrapped as a far-future SF
      tale. The story starts with a group of VIPs, scientists and TV
      personalities but all famous in their own fields, who join an
      expedition to watch the collision of two stars in the Polaris. Once
      the sight has been devoured, the ship signals its intent to jump for
      home, then doesn't actually jump. A rescue mission is dispatched but
      when it arrives finds only the empty Polaris floating Marie Celeste-
      like in space; no clue as to what became of her passengers is ever
      found.

      The action then moves forward some sixty years and the POV shifts to
      a collector and seller of antiquities and his partner who become
      entangled in a sale of the effects of the Polaris by the institute
      that owned it. Gradually drawn in by a series of strange events of
      increasing danger, the two characters begin to penetrate the still
      mysterious case.

      I found the book a delight to read. The characters are nicely rounded
      out and the pace builds wonderfully as the story progresses. If I
      have a complaint it is that once the mystery starts to come
      unravelled it all ends rather too quickly. I would have liked a
      little more meat on the ending, but in truth that is just my own
      gluttony at work since the story doesn't need it.

      I shall certainly be buying more of McDevitt's fiction if these two
      (well, three) works are an indication of his skill and imagination.

      Steve.
    • Wildfire
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 26 3:35 AM
        --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Something"
        <ss1400@y...> wrote:

        > McDevitt is truly a master at building pace and developing
        characters
        > one cares about, characters who behave realistically and have
        > understandable reactions to events, and I urge you all to experience
        > his fiction firsthand if you haven't already.
        >
        > "Polaris", his latest novel, is a mystery wrapped as a far-future SF
        > tale.
        I like McDevitt, Slow Lightning was the last book of his i read and i
        thought it was really good with a few unusual twists to it...
        I will up Polaris when i can but ive a heavy book load at the moment
        so it will be some time yet......
        Wildfire