It's no joke - even animals laugh

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2005
      URL to an article in MSNBC
      http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7348880/

      First few paragraphs
      "It’s no joke: Even animals ‘laugh’
      Expert says dogs pant and rats chirp to express mirth

      Scientists suspect that the panting behavior exhibited by dogs during "play
      chasing" is an analog for human laughter.

      By Robert Roy Britt
      Senior writer

      Life can be funny, and not just for humans.

      Studies by various groups suggest monkeys, dogs and even rats love a good
      laugh. People, meanwhile, have been laughing since before they could talk.

      "Indeed, neural circuits for laughter exist in very ancient regions of the
      brain, and ancestral forms of play and laughter existed in other animals eons
      before we humans came along with our 'ha-ha-has' and verbal repartee," says Jaak
      Panksepp, a neuroscientist at Bowling Green State University."

      It is an interesting study on the neural networks that are involved with
      laughter. But, anyone who has owned or been around dogs, cats, sheep, goats, or
      watched crows, would probably say, "Well, duh, I could have told you that!"

      I hope our pets will be able to go to the stars with us