Turtledove's Days of Infamy

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 12, 2005
      I checked Harry Turtledove's Days of Infamy out of the library and started
      leafing through it. I was disappointed.

      The Japanese invade Hawaii after Pearl Harbor and this book describes how the
      Hawaiians deal with the occupation. It also describes some naval battles,
      bombing of the West Coast, etc. (Hope I haven't spoiled it.)

      I was disappointed for a variety of reasons. First, almost none of the major
      figures of WWII appear in this book. Japanese Admirals Yamamoto and Nagumo
      are appear, and Adm. William "Bull" Halsey makes a brief appearance, but most
      of the characters are pilots, housewives and soldiers. Roosevelt, Short,
      Kimmel, Fletcher, Spruance, Marshall and King just don't appear.

      Second, there is no science fiction link in this book. It is just a history
      book.
      Help me out with this. Does an alternate history with no science fiction
      classify as science fiction?

    • Brandon
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 13, 2005
        derhexer@... wrote:
        > I checked Harry Turtledove's Days of Infamy out of the library and started
        > leafing through it. I was disappointed.
        >
        > The Japanese invade Hawaii after Pearl Harbor and this book describes how the
        > Hawaiians deal with the occupation. It also describes some naval battles,
        > bombing of the West Coast, etc. (Hope I haven't spoiled it.)
        >
        > I was disappointed for a variety of reasons. First, almost none of the major
        > figures of WWII appear in this book. Japanese Admirals Yamamoto and Nagumo
        > are appear, and Adm. William "Bull" Halsey makes a brief appearance, but most
        > of the characters are pilots, housewives and soldiers. Roosevelt, Short,
        > Kimmel, Fletcher, Spruance, Marshall and King just don't appear.

        I haven't read this one, but that would be a plus for me.
        One of the flaws in Turtledove's stories (from my
        perspective) is the implausibly high number of historical
        figures who wind up occupying the same niche they did in
        OTL, no matter how much of an alternate history it was.

        > Second, there is no science fiction link in this book. It is just a history
        > book.
        > Help me out with this. Does an alternate history with no science fiction
        > classify as science fiction?

        I would think so -- but then, I don't like to spend too much
        time worry about whether a book is or is not "science
        fiction" -- I just worry about whether I enjoyed it. N.B.
        that if straight alternate history isn't sf, then Harry
        Turtledove is not an sf writer.