The real Soviet Moonshot

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 13, 2004
      Well, following on from that Soviet Space doctrine thing, I thought
      this might be of interest. Includes pictures of Soviet moonlanders.

      ==============================
      Now this is really interesting... what if Lunniy Korabl instead of
      Apollo?* Good alternative history idea. The replica's now at
      Eurodisney, how odd...

      http://www.myspacemuseum.com/sovspac1.htm

      "Until 1990 - 1991, little was known outside the Soviet Union (or
      the halls of the CIA) about the manned lunar program which was
      developed by the former Soviet Union to counter America's Apollo
      program. The Soviet policy of keeping space projects secret until
      they were successful was carried out to the utmost, and the entire
      effort was almost passed over by history. With the coming of
      glasnost, small bits of information began to emerge about the super-
      secret Soviet moon program. Now, photos and diagrams are available
      of all the major systems involved and incredibly, a few years ago, a
      replica of the Russian lunar module, called Lunniy Korabl, (Lunar
      Cabin) or LK was exhibited in a tourist hall at Eurodisney!"

      * Wasn't Apollo the sun god, which makes it an unusual choice for a
      moon
      lander...
    • bob_wall@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 13, 2004
        --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "raybell_scot"
        <raybell_scot@y...> wrote:

        > * Wasn't Apollo the sun god, which makes it an unusual choice for a
        > moon
        > lander...

        Better than landing on the sun. :>)
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 14, 2004
          --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, bob_wall@y... wrote:

          > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "raybell_scot"
          > <raybell_scot@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > * Wasn't Apollo the sun god, which makes it an unusual choice for
          > > moon
          > > lander...
          >
          > Better than landing on the sun. :>)

          True true, but a simple miscalc could have got them there...
        • Steve Something
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 14, 2004
            <raybell_scot@y...> wrote:

            > Well, following on from that Soviet Space doctrine thing, I thought
            > this might be of interest. Includes pictures of Soviet moonlanders.
            >
            > ==============================
            > Now this is really interesting... what if Lunniy Korabl instead of
            > Apollo?* Good alternative history idea. The replica's now at
            > Eurodisney, how odd...
            >
            > http://www.myspacemuseum.com/sovspac1.htm
            >
            > "Until 1990 - 1991, little was known outside the Soviet Union (or
            > the halls of the CIA) about the manned lunar program which was
            > developed by the former Soviet Union to counter America's Apollo
            > program.

            For a good "Science Faction"[sic] story of this whole business, check
            out Cassut's "Red Moon". I posted about it here some time ago, so a
            search of our archives should turn up my original thoughts on it.

            > * Wasn't Apollo the sun god, which makes it an unusual choice for a
            > moon
            > lander...

            "Apollo" was the name of the project, not the lander. I guess they
            thought it made more sense than "Promethius" (bad ending), "Daedalus"
            (already used, bad ending) or any of the other culturally resonant
            names from mythology.

            Did you know that the Apollo spacecraft also marked a return to the
            policy of allowing the crews to name their spacecraft, a policy that
            was suspended after Virgil Grissom insisted on calling his Gemini
            spacecraft "The Unsinkable Molly Brown"?

            Steve.
          • Wildfire
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 15, 2004
              <raybell_scot@y...> wrote:
              > > Better than landing on the sun. :>)
              >
              > True true, but a simple miscalc could have got them there...
              -
              Which if you consider NASAs track record was a disinct possibility
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 16, 2004
                --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "Wildfire"
                <wildfire160@h...> wrote:

                > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "raybell_scot"
                > <raybell_scot@y...> wrote:
                > > > Better than landing on the sun. :>)
                > >
                > > True true, but a simple miscalc could have got them there...
                > -
                > Which if you consider NASAs track record was a disinct possibility

                Well Apollo 13 nearly went belly up...

                I wonder that if it had, or that the Soviets posed a serious lunar
                challenge that the Moon thing might have quite different. One would
                have decelerated the space race (as Challenger appears to have done)
                and the other would have accelerated it. I suspect the Chinese
                program may well speed things up again...

                A dirt cheap (but downright dangerous) way of getting people to the
                moon might have been to fire a rocket straight at it, with a kind of
                airbag on the front. Hmm... I still think that the best thing we can
                do to get to Mars is to probably land some kind of base there before
                the humans reach it. I think the return trip is more worrying, I
                still think that bugs (as opposed to bug eyed monsters) from Mars
                are still a serious threat. Anything that can manage to live there,
                would probably flourish on Earth.