Re: [SFC] "Soviet Space Doctrine"

    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 13, 2004
      --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, Brandon
      <jchance@a...> wrote:
      > raybell_scot wrote:

      > > Sadly it has to be said that it appears as if GWB is again
      working
      > > on ways of raining down armageddon on us...
      >
      > He is?????

      Yep... alongside the usual spiel of "We'll send a man to Mars,
      forget the scientific research potential for political gain", he's
      been talking about "Son of Star Wars". "Scientific American"
      recently also had a disturbing (for foreigners) article about US
      space defence.
    • Brandon
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 14, 2004
        raybell_scot wrote:

        > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, Brandon
        > <jchance@a...> wrote:
        >
        >>raybell_scot wrote:
        >

        >>>Sadly it has to be said that it appears as if GWB is again
        >
        > working
        >
        >>>on ways of raining down armageddon on us...
        >>
        >>He is?????
        >

        > Yep... alongside the usual spiel of "We'll send a man to Mars,
        > forget the scientific research potential for political gain", he's
        > been talking about "Son of Star Wars". "Scientific American"
        > recently also had a disturbing (for foreigners) article about US
        > space defence.

        Okay, I'm still not following -- the president of the United
        States is talking about space DEFENSE ... and somehow this
        is supposedly going to lead to armageddon?

        Could you possibly clarify?
      • bell_raymond
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 15, 2004
          <jchance@a...> wrote:
          > Okay, I'm still not following -- the president of the United
          > States is talking about space DEFENSE ... and somehow this
          > is supposedly going to lead to armageddon?
          >
          > Could you possibly clarify?

          Arms race, escalation, incident... armageddon.
        • Brandon
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 17, 2004
            bell_raymond wrote:

            > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, Brandon
            > <jchance@a...> wrote:
            >
            >>Okay, I'm still not following -- the president of the United
            >>States is talking about space DEFENSE ... and somehow this
            >>is supposedly going to lead to armageddon?
            >>
            >>Could you possibly clarify?
            >

            > Arms race, escalation, incident... armageddon.

            An arms race with who? Escalation because of DEFENSIVE
            weapons how?
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 18, 2004
              > An arms race with who? Escalation because of DEFENSIVE
              > weapons how?

              They always claim it's for defence. The Soviets did too. The Chinese will
              perhaps.
            • Brandon
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 20, 2004
                raybell_scot wrote:

                >>An arms race with who? Escalation because of DEFENSIVE
                >>weapons how?
                >

                > They always claim it's for defence. The Soviets did too. The Chinese will
                > perhaps.

                "They" do? Who are "they" please? And why on Earth would
                anyone compare the United States to the thugs and dictators
                of the Soviet Union and the PRC?
              • membi_99
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 20, 2004
                  OK putting on my moderator hat here.;)

                  Lets stick to SF here.If you want to continue this discussion then I
                  suggest you take it outside to the SFC-Annexe or to emails.Science
                  Fiction Classics is the name not current affairs.

                  Of course if you want to discuss Alternative History in the light of
                  these events that's fine!!

                  Membi_99.

                  <jchance@a...> wrote:

                  > raybell_scot wrote:
                  >

                  > >>An arms race with who? Escalation because of DEFENSIVE
                  > >>weapons how?
                  > >

                  > > They always claim it's for defence. The Soviets did too. The
                  Chinese will
                  > > perhaps.
                  > >

                  > "They" do? Who are "they" please? And why on Earth would
                  > anyone compare the United States to the thugs and dictators
                  > of the Soviet Union and the PRC?
                • Mike B
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 21, 2004
                    Thanks for the well-placed interjection, Membi! But please, not to
                    the Annex!

                    Mike B

                    --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "membi_99"

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 3, 2005
                      <incognitas@g...> wrote:

                      > OK putting on my moderator hat here.;)
                      >
                      > Lets stick to SF here.If you want to continue this discussion then
                      > suggest you take it outside to the SFC-Annexe or to emails.Science
                      > Fiction Classics is the name not current affairs.
                      >
                      > Of course if you want to discuss Alternative History in the light
                      of
                      > these events that's fine!!

                      Nothing personal Mod, but how is this different to the other science
                      fact news stories here...

                      My main intention was to bring out some interest more from the
                      alternative point of view... besides which nuclear holocaust was, and
                      still continues to be a matter of concern reflected in SF literature.