Looking for a story

  • Jo Mencius
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 19, 2004
      Hi, I'm Jo. I just joined the group and I like pretty much anything
      scifi. Looking forward to joining the discussions here.

      I've been trying to locate a story I read 25+ years ago and could use
      some help. Can't remember the author or title, but here's what I do
      know:

      It's about a scientist living on an island. He creates a new life
      form which is intelligent and considers him a god. The new life form
      lives its life at a vastly accelerated rate and so can achieve
      technological advances in a matter of hours or days. At the end, they
      create an impenetrable shield to protect the island from a military
      invasion.

      Sound familiar to anyone? I sure would appreciate any help in finding
      the author/title.

      Thanks,
      Jo
    • Ignacio Viglizzo
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 20, 2004
        It sounds a lot lik "The Sand Kings" by George RR Martin, but that one
        wasn't on an island, or ended with the shield thing... There's a story
        in Lem's cyberiad that's a bit like this too.

        --
        Ignacio
      • sancho100
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 20, 2004
          --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, Ignacio Viglizzo
          <viglizzo@g...> wrote:
          > It sounds a lot lik "The Sand Kings" by George RR Martin, but that
          one
          > wasn't on an island, or ended with the shield thing... There's a
          story
          > in Lem's cyberiad that's a bit like this too.
          >

          > On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 23:20:48 -0000, Jo Mencius <mencius@c...> wrote:
          > >

          > > Hi, I'm Jo. I just joined the group and I like pretty much
          anything
          > > scifi. Looking forward to joining the discussions here.
          > >
          > > I've been trying to locate a story I read 25+ years ago and could
          use
          > > some help. Can't remember the author or title, but here's what I
          do
          > > know:
          > >
          > > It's about a scientist living on an island. He creates a new life
          > > form which is intelligent and considers him a god. The new life
          form
          > > lives its life at a vastly accelerated rate and so can achieve
          > > technological advances in a matter of hours or days. At the end,
          they
          > > create an impenetrable shield to protect the island from a
          military
          > > invasion.
          > >
          > > Sound familiar to anyone? I sure would appreciate any help in
          finding
          > > the author/title.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Jo

          I remmber this one , too. Way before Martin's time though. It was
          in a collection of short stories but I was never very good at
          remembering autoors of shorts.

          Sancho
        • Brandon
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 20, 2004
            Microcosmic God, by Theodore Sturgeon. Anthologized in the
            collection of the same title, among other places.

            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 21, 2004
              --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "Jo Mencius"
              <mencius@c...> wrote:
              > Hi, I'm Jo. I just joined the group and I like pretty much anything
              > scifi. Looking forward to joining the discussions here.

              Please! SF not the tacky "scifi" moniker!

              > It's about a scientist living on an island. He creates a new life
              > form which is intelligent and considers him a god. The new life
              form
              > lives its life at a vastly accelerated rate and so can achieve
              > technological advances in a matter of hours or days. At the end,
              they
              > create an impenetrable shield to protect the island from a military
              > invasion.

              It does sound familiar. However, the only name I can think of offhand
              is Olaf Stapledon's "Odd John", although the plotline is different in
              that the scientist doesn't invent new life.
            • Mike B
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 24, 2004
                Welcome! So tell us what you are reading right now (before the whole
                sf vs. scifi debate gets rolling!)

                I am continuing my e-book tour of HG Wells' stuff, courtesy of
                gutenberg.net. Finished the Invisible Man, now reading the Island of
                Dr. Moreau, which is the first of these e-books I had not read
                before. I see quite a few other listings for his stuff at gutenberg -
                can anyone tell me which are science fiction, and which are not?

                On the paper book side, I finally finished Varley's Steel Beach - I
                feel it left a lot of questions unanswered, but maybe that was the
                point ....
                Just started Harry Potter 5 - almost 900 frickin' pages??!!

                Mike B

                <mencius@c...> wrote:

                > Hi, I'm Jo. I just joined the group and I like pretty much anything
                > scifi. Looking forward to joining the discussions here.
                >
                > I've been trying to locate a story I read 25+ years ago and could
                use
                > some help. Can't remember the author or title, but here's what I do
                > know:
                >
                > It's about a scientist living on an island. He creates a new life
                > form which is intelligent and considers him a god. The new life
                form
                > lives its life at a vastly accelerated rate and so can achieve
                > technological advances in a matter of hours or days. At the end,
                they
                > create an impenetrable shield to protect the island from a military
                > invasion.
                >
                > Sound familiar to anyone? I sure would appreciate any help in
                finding
                > the author/title.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Jo
              • Joe Mencius
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 24, 2004
                  Yes, that's it. Thanks.

                  Jo

                  --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, Brandon <jchance@a...>
                  wrote:
                  > Microcosmic God, by Theodore Sturgeon. Anthologized in the
                  > collection of the same title, among other places.
                  >
                  > Jo Mencius wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Hi, I'm Jo. I just joined the group and I like pretty much
                  anything
                  > > scifi. Looking forward to joining the discussions here.
                  > >
                  > > I've been trying to locate a story I read 25+ years ago and could
                  use
                  > > some help. Can't remember the author or title, but here's what I
                  do
                  > > know:
                  > >
                  > > It's about a scientist living on an island. He creates a new life
                  > > form which is intelligent and considers him a god. The new life
                  form
                  > > lives its life at a vastly accelerated rate and so can achieve
                  > > technological advances in a matter of hours or days. At the end,
                  they
                  > > create an impenetrable shield to protect the island from a
                  military
                  > > invasion.
                  > >
                  > > Sound familiar to anyone? I sure would appreciate any help in
                  finding
                  > > the author/title.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks,
                  > > Jo
                  > >

                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Joe Mencius
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 26, 2005
                    Trying to find a story I read long ago. It's about a scientist doing
                    research on the nature of reality. His experiments imply that he is in
                    some sort of cage and the subject of an experiment. That's about all I
                    can remember.

                    Thanks,
                    Joe
                  • Brandon
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 28, 2005
                      It might be "Breeds There a Man ... ?" by Isaac Asimov.
                      It's in his collection "Nightfall and Other Stories", among
                      other places.

                      Joe Mencius wrote:

                      > Trying to find a story I read long ago. It's about a scientist doing
                      > research on the nature of reality. His experiments imply that he is in
                      > some sort of cage and the subject of an experiment. That's about all I
                      > can remember.
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Joe
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Mencius
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 28, 2005
                        You're right. Thanks. How about another one. A group is trying to
                        recruit some guy for membership. They have their own unique language
                        and their purpose has something to do with the advancement of the human
                        race(I think). One thing they plan to do is wipe out a Ku Klux Klan
                        meeting and make it look like an act of God.

                        Thanks again.

                        Brandon wrote:

                        >It might be "Breeds There a Man ... ?" by Isaac Asimov.
                        >It's in his collection "Nightfall and Other Stories", among
                        >other places.
                        >
                        >Joe Mencius wrote:
                        >

                        >>Trying to find a story I read long ago. It's about a scientist doing
                        >>research on the nature of reality. His experiments imply that he is in
                        >>some sort of cage and the subject of an experiment. That's about all I
                        >>can remember.
                        >>
                        >>Thanks,
                        >>Joe
                        >>

                        >>Yahoo! Groups Links

                        >Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Brandon
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 28, 2005
                          Mencius wrote:
                          > You're right. Thanks. How about another one. A group is trying to
                          > recruit some guy for membership. They have their own unique language
                          > and their purpose has something to do with the advancement of the human
                          > race(I think). One thing they plan to do is wipe out a Ku Klux Klan
                          > meeting and make it look like an act of God.
                          >
                          > Thanks again.

                          That sounds like it might be a mix of several different
                          Heinlein stories: The artificial language element is in
                          "Gulf", and wiping out a fundamentalist religious leader
                          while making it look like an act of God occurs (in different
                          ways) in "If This Goes On --" and "Lost Legacy" (and maybe
                          in "Sixth Column", aka "The Day After Tomorrow").

                          *cracks knuckles*

                          Next? ;)
                        • Mencius
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 28, 2005
                            Right again. It was "Gulf". Thanks. How do you remember the titles so
                            well if you don't mind my asking?

                          • jchance@arthur.avalon.net
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 28, 2005
                              Quoting Mencius <mencius@...>:

                              > Right again. It was "Gulf". Thanks. How do you remember the titles so
                              >
                              > well if you don't mind my asking?

                              LOL! You just happened to hit a couple that I knew. I'm pretty well-read in
                              older stuff, not so much in newer (especially shorter lengths -- either I've
                              gotten less tolerant of the compromises necessary to tell a story in 5000 words
                              or less, or sf/f short stories have gotten worse in the past 25 years or so).
                            • nihal parkar
                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 29, 2005
                                Hi

                                'Breeds There a Man' was a story that left me thinking for days...

                                --
                                I miss the rains of Mumbai.
                                I miss the drains of Mumbai.