Mars Rover experiences unusual power surge

  • sancho100
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2004
      From AOL News 11/5

      >Opportunity recently experienced an unexplained rejuvenation from
      what can so far be described only as two or three
      significant "cleaning events," said Jim Erickson, the rover project
      manager at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena.

      "Now we're assuming they're cleaning, but all we can really say is
      that overnight the solar panels produced between 2 and 5 percent
      additional power immediately," he said. "We're surmising that for
      some reason dust is being removed from the solar panel and that's
      increasing the efficiency of the sunlight being converted to
      electricity<

      And I always thought those guys offering to wash your windows at
      every stop were just annoying.

      Sancho