Re: [SFC] Reading

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 29, 2004
      --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, Ignacio Viglizzo
      <viglizzo@g...> wrote:
      > I read one novel by Macleod,, and a couple by Banks, but I enjoy
      > Stross much more, and I think he goes a step further than the
      others
      > in imagining a future that's close to us and yet vastly
      unimaginated.

      MacLeod is excellent. I read his Engines of Light trilogy in August.
      The only thing is that the first book - to my mind anyway - doesn't
      completely explain how the Soviets gained wider Western European
      influence in that world than in our own. Perhaps someone can
      enlighten me!
    • Steve Something
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 3, 2006
        I picked up a copy of "Dragonfly" at a book sale (a dollar a
        paperback, two for a hardback) which purports to be the story of the
        American Astronauts aboard Mir.

        Very unevenly put together, it dodges back and forth over the
        subjects like a person who starts telling a story who dodges off to
        give explanitory exposition recursively thus making the original
        tale difficult to follow.

        But.

        It does highlight some of the failings of the Mir program and the
        hardware itself.

        An interesting read for anyone who was involved in the "Why scrap
        it?" debate here a few years ago (search the archives if you're
        interested. I'm afraid I don't have time right now).

        If what this guy says is true, the wonder is no-one was killed in
        the thing.

        Steve.