Asimov's "I, Robot"

  • Ignacio Viglizzo
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 30, 2004
      Since "I, Robot" is a classic of Science fiction, and that is the name of the
      group, and we all have our blood boiling because of the movie trailer....

      How about reading the original book? It's 9 short stories, iirc, and we could
      do one of those per week.

      (This is the bi-annual attempt to do a group read here ;-) )
      Best,

      =====
      Ignacio

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Ignacio Viglizzo
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 1 4:54 AM
        I, Robot Chat
        July 13 @ 9pm EST
        Corey Doctorow, Geoffrey A. Landis, and Wil McCarthy will chat about
        Robots and Isaac Asimov's fiction just before the movie comes out.

        more info at:
        http://www.asimovs.com

        --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, Ignacio Viglizzo

        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 1 7:16 AM
          <viglizzo@y...> wrote:
          > Since "I, Robot" is a classic of Science fiction, and that is the
          name of the
          > group, and we all have our blood boiling because of the movie
          trailer....

          Seemingly they retained the three laws of robotics - only so they
          could be violated...
        • Adam Becker
          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 1 7:56 AM
            Asimov would turning over in his grave for this one!

            raybell_scot <raybell_scot@...> wrote:--- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, Ignacio Viglizzo
            <viglizzo@y...> wrote:
            > Since "I, Robot" is a classic of Science fiction, and that is the
            name of the
            > group, and we all have our blood boiling because of the movie
            trailer....

            Seemingly they retained the three laws of robotics - only so they
            could be violated...

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service. A

          • Wildfire
            Message 5 of 26 , Jul 2 9:09 AM
              --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "buxh42a"
              <buxh42a@y...> wrote:
              > I just saw the TV commercial for "I, Robot". Arrrrgghh!! What
              the
              > hell is this movie about? The only thing it looks like it has in
              > common with Asimov's "I, Robot" is the title. The commercial makes
              the
              > film out to be an action adventure film, with lots of explosions,
              > special effects and stunts.
              >

              > Sam
              Ive been getting e-mails from Australia about I Robbot and Asimov
              asking me to give my thoughts on his books(especially I robot) and
              also would i be seeing the film....
              Well i will be seeing the film when it released and even if its
              nothing like the Docs books hopefully those who see it, and have
              never read anything by Asimov will be inspired to pick up one of his
              books in the same way people did with PK Dicks books
              It amazes me in a way how many new readers there are of PK Dicks
              because of the films made of his stories especially when you consider
              how none of them are faithful to the books...
              Wildfire
              ps...i dont know if any of you know this but Dicks "A Scanner Darkly"
              is in production at this moment and their promising to be as faithful
              as they can to the source material
              http://www.comingsoon.net/news.php?id=5367
              has an interveiw with the director
              Message 6 of 26 , Jul 2 9:11 AM
                --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, Adam Becker
                <dos11731@y...> wrote:
                > Asimov would turning over in his grave for this one!

                Asimov wasn't exactly a stranger to a bit of profiteering and self-
                promotion though!
              • Wildfire
                Message 7 of 26 , Jul 2 9:13 AM
                  --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "raybell_scot"
                  <raybell_scot@y...> wrote:
                  > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, Ignacio Viglizzo
                  > <viglizzo@y...> wrote:
                  > > Since "I, Robot" is a classic of Science fiction, and that is the
                  > name of the
                  > > group, and we all have our blood boiling because of the movie
                  > trailer....
                  >
                  > Seemingly they retained the three laws of robotics - only so they
                  > could be violated...
                  =
                  A lot of the Docs robot stories seemed to be about the robots seeming
                  to break the "three rules" if i remember them correctly
                  Wildfire
                • Wildfire
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jul 2 9:16 AM
                    <raybell_scot@y...> wrote:
                    > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, Adam Becker
                    > <dos11731@y...> wrote:
                    > > Asimov would turning over in his grave for this one!
                    >
                    > Asimov wasn't exactly a stranger to a bit of profiteering and self-
                    > promotion though!
                    =
                    To true .......ssssigh!
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jul 2 1:42 PM
                      --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "Wildfire"
                      <wildfire160@h...> wrote:
                      > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "raybell_scot"
                      > <raybell_scot@y...> wrote:
                      > > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, Ignacio Viglizzo
                      > > <viglizzo@y...> wrote:
                      > > > Since "I, Robot" is a classic of Science fiction, and that is
                      the
                      > > name of the
                      > > > group, and we all have our blood boiling because of the movie
                      > > trailer....
                      > >
                      > > Seemingly they retained the three laws of robotics - only so they
                      > > could be violated...
                      > =
                      > A lot of the Docs robot stories seemed to be about the robots
                      seeming
                      > to break the "three rules" if i remember them correctly

                      They were indeed, but INVENTIVELY so. This film looks to be merely
                      using them as an excuses for more flying bullets, cliches and tired
                      storylines. IA obviously thought long and hard about the 3 laws, and
                      there is a certain logic to them. So much so, that although not
                      totally foolproof, they might be workable in some future scenario.
                    • bob_wall@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jan 23, 2005
                        This is going to sound like heresy, especially to you Asimov fans.
                        But what can you expect from somebody who likes Heinlein over all
                        other SF writers.

                        I watched I, Robot tonight, and ya know what? I enjoyed it. Not great
                        theater, or story, and damn sure not great acting, but an enjoyable
                        diversion. It won't make my list of all time faves, but it was better
                        than a lot of other flicks I have seen. So it wasn't true to the
                        book. How many movies really are? How many 2 or 3 hour movies can be?
                        Hell, even 8 hours of The Stand couldn't really do that story
                        justice. They are sombody's interpretation of somebody else's work.

                        I'm not saying I'm gonna rush right out and buy it. Especially at
                        full price. But if I happen to see a "previously viewed" DVD at
                        Blockbuster for $6 or $7 I might pick it up. I wouldn't mind seeing
                        it again.

                        I watched Van Helsing last night. Can't wait to take that back to
                        Blockbuster. Some decent special effects, but that's about all it had
                        going for it. Oh yeah, that hot chick too. Kate somethingorother.

                        Later all,
                        Bob (that bloody heretic is back) Wall.

                        p.s. I have added a few new Sci Fi DVD's to my collection over the
                        last couple of months or so: Star Wars Trilogy, Alien, Aliens and
                        Alien Resurrection (note that the third movie is not listed here, I
                        still have the tape in case some strange urge comes over me to watch
                        it again), Men In Black. Now I just need to replace all of my Star
                        Trek movies with DVD. Can you say bucks?
                      • hectopede
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jan 31, 2005
                          --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, bob_wall@y... wrote:

                          > I watched I, Robot tonight, and ya know what? I enjoyed it. Not
                          great
                          > theater, or story, and damn sure not great acting, but an enjoyable
                          > diversion.

                          Good for you :o)

                          I like benevolent attitude in criticism. And I like sci-fi. This is
                          the only genre where I enjoy everything, including crap. And it's
                          heaven when sci-fi is really-really good.

                          A friend of mine enjoyed "Waterworld" by Kevin Costner (I'm not
                          making a comparison with you). For the long calming wide screen shots
                          of ocean surface.

                          I also like watching commercials, sometimes. Or video clips.

                          hectopede
                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 1, 2005
                            --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, hectopede
                            <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                            > I like benevolent attitude in criticism. And I like sci-fi. This
                            is
                            > the only genre where I enjoy everything, including crap. And it's
                            > heaven when sci-fi is really-really good

                            That might explain why I seem to go down to the video shop or the
                            bookshop, and all they seem to have in the SF section is mindless
                            crap. :(