NASA : Mars once had water

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2 6:46 PM
      URL to an article that appeared on CNN
      http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/03/02/mars.findings/index.html%c2%a0

      "NASA scientists say the Mars rovers have found what they were looking for --
      hard evidence that the red planet was once "soaking wet."

      "We have concluded the rocks here were once soaked in liquid water," said
      Steve Squyres of Cornell University. He's the principal investigator for the
      science instruments on Opportunity and its twin rover, Spirit.

      "The second question we've tried to answer: Were these rocks altered by
      liquid water? We believe definitively, yes," Squyres said."

      So, perhaps at one time there was a Deja Thoris, and golden skimmers plied
      the placid Martian canals.

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3 9:45 AM
        --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, derhexer@a... wrote:
        > URL to an article that appeared on CNN

        No surprise, the Viking and Mariner expeditions showed ample proof of
        water courses (although some preferred to attribute them to dust to
        be overcautious).

        Maybe there was more truth in the "canals" than previously thought!