Re: Laurel Hamilton

  • bob_wall@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 3, 2004
      --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, Ignacio Viglizzo
      <viglizzo@y...> wrote:
      > I think you've got a serious crush on her! ;-)
      > --- Steve Something <ss1400@y...> wrote:
      > > Another danger: I would run far too much risk of encountering the
      > > work of that vile hack, that waste of good breathing air, that
      > > pointless murderess of perfectly good trees Laurel Hamilton and
      her
      > > worthless, awful, awful "Anita Blake" rubbish.

      Yeah, what he said. Why don't say how you REALLY feel?

      > =====
      > Ignacio

      > http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
    • jennifermacaire
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 4, 2004
        > > No porn.
        >
        > It always beats me, the notion about erotic literature, no porn.

        The 'no porn' is for those who want to join adult groups looking
        for sexy excerpts and nothing else. This group is for the growing
        number of books published by the likes of Ellora's Cave, Liquid
        Silver, Extas, etc. that are science fiction or fantasy books with
        more sex than you'd see in a John Varley book, say. (Although I
        think his books would fit well in the erotic science fiction
        catagory)

        Mostly the group is promotional with publishing news about new books
        and authors talking about their WIP and asking questions about this
        (relatively) new genre.

        Since the major NY publishing houses are all scrambling to add an
        erotic line to their lists, we thought it might be a good idea to
        have a specific Yahoo group to keep up on what is going on with
        erotic science fiction and fantasy, as we don't want to offend
        anyone on other groups. (Some do not appreciate posts about erotic
        books)

        Best wishes,
        Jennifer
      • Steve Something
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 4, 2004
          Awful, awful trashy awfulWHAT!

          I must remind you, Inacio, that the art of Kanly still has its
          followers.

          Steve.

          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 4, 2004
            You got it, Bob.

            I really feel that the Anita Blake idea was truly an original, and
            had great potential in the under-populated and very
            ripe "SF/Fantasy/Horror-Detective" genre. I really believe that
            softcore S&M/B&D literature can be entertaining at every level and
            can be made to work very easily in-genre. Even easier for me. I am a
            collosal perv.

            I truly believe that Ms. Hamilton is a total hack that can pull off
            neither convincingly. Her eroticism is "too subtle" for me, going far
            enough to become ridiculous but never paying off, a fictional (I
            can't write "literary" here) member-tease as it were. The whole ends
            up with a young teenager thrill feel to it. Maybe these are suppoosed
            to be juveniles? I dunno. What we end up with is just another
            stupid "goth" vampire romp, and not a very accomplished or convincing
            one at that.

            Of course, I hate the whole Vampire Fiction thing anyway. If ever a
            genre had over-extended itself and become threadbare, this is the one
            from where I am standing.

            I felt that way when she began publishing her stuff, and was looking
            forward to seeing her develop the idea of the forensic raiser-of-
            zombies and the cases she would solve as a result, but sadly
            Hamilton's vision failed her and she turned to writing below-average
            undead stories, than below-average softcore. A shame.

            I bought the first few on the grounds that if she was supported
            eventually her writing would mature enough to become halfway bearable
            (the earlier books would never have gotten published before the D&D
            generation grew up to become consumers of such stuff; even I can do
            better and that, believe me is saying a lot), but this proved to be
            as accurate a prediction as my "Tech Stocks" and "Energy Stocks" ones.

            The covers of her books are more erotic and evocative than the tales
            between them, which is the only reason for even picking up one of her
            books these days. Never buy one under any circumstances. Borrow from
            the library. That way, you don't encourage mediocrity before you form
            your own opinion.

            The kindest thing I can say is that these stories should be filed in
            the romance section of any bookstore. At least there the contents
            wouldn't contavene the truth in advertising statutes so baldly.

            There you go, Bob. Has the truth set you free?

            Steve.

            - In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, bob_wall@y... wrote:
            > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, Ignacio Viglizzo
            > <viglizzo@y...> wrote:
            > > I think you've got a serious crush on her! ;-)
            > > --- Steve Something <ss1400@y...> wrote:
            > > > Another danger: I would run far too much risk of encountering
            the
            > > > work of that vile hack, that waste of good breathing air, that
            > > > pointless murderess of perfectly good trees Laurel Hamilton and
            > her
            > > > worthless, awful, awful "Anita Blake" rubbish.
            >
            > Yeah, what he said. Why don't say how you REALLY feel?
            >

            > > =====
            > > Ignacio

            > > http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
          • Ignacio Viglizzo
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 4, 2004
              BTW, there's a new series of books with aliens abducting humans as sex
              slaves...

              Slave trade, by S Wright:
              "Rose Rico never believed the rumors, that the government was secretly selling
              human beings to the Alphas in exchange for advanced alien technology. The idea
              that human sex slaves were a luxury item throughout the galaxy was just too
              ridiculous to take seriously -- until Rose found herself, along with hundreds
              of other human captives, bound for the far reaches of space, and compelled to
              cater to the depraved desires of her new alien masters.

              As a rule, pleasure slaves don't live very long, especially the stubborn ones.
              But Rose refuses to give up. Someday, somehow, she'll win back her freedom --
              or die trying!"

              sounds like it could be funny...

              =====

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 4, 2004
                I guess it would be a waste of time to mention "The Heaven Makers" by
                Frank Herbert. Obviously the author of this piece was unaware the
                theme had been done, although the focus was on the results rather
                than the sweating, heaving bodies moving as one etcnipetcspanketc.

                This was also a central plot to the Gor books. Much S&M/B&D. A
                riproaring read all round in fact.

                And didn't McCaffery do a novelette on the kidnapped girl c/w ripped
                bodice forced to submit to unwelcome advances? Hur Hur Hur.

                Rose Rico????? Gad. Sounds like a Doc Smith name to me. I see it all:

                The vile psuedo-cephalopd oozed into their prison, it's five
                eyestalks riveted on the ample charms of Rose. From its body a
                tentacular appendage began to form.

                Ranger Rick Reardon surged against some invisible force that held
                back his superhuman efforts to save the girl from the horror-to-be,
                and ground out "I'm sorry Rose, you'll have to submit to that
                repulsive, slime-covered slug-thing's advances. It seems to have me
                in some sort of mind-control and I can't reach my DeLammeter! What a
                sheerly, starkly unthinkable turn of events!"

                "Don't worry about me" the plucky Rose bravely responded. "What a
                shame neither of us thought to put on our mind-shields before we
                decided to explore this derelict ship. Gosh, I hope it is all over
                quickly."

                With that, the foul monster doused the naked Rose with what looked
                like warm glycerin and ..........

                I do love a good pervy book-o-smut, especially them wot has damsels
                in distress in 'em.

                Gruntgrunt.

                Steve.

                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 4, 2004
                  --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Something"
                  <ss1400@y...> wrote:
                  > You got it, Bob.
                  >

                  > The kindest thing I can say is that these stories should be filed
                  in
                  > the romance section of any bookstore. At least there the contents
                  > wouldn't contavene the truth in advertising statutes so baldly.
                  >
                  > There you go, Bob. Has the truth set you free?

                  Well, having never read anything by Laurel Hamilton, (at least I
                  don't think so, too many brain cells fried in my younger days), I
                  will bow to your superior knowledge of her work, and shan't waste my
                  time, or few remaining brain cells, Oh Great Sapnoid One.

                  Later,
                  Bob (huh?) Wall

                • bob_wall@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 4, 2004
                    <ss1400@y...> wrote:
                    > I guess it would be a waste of time to mention "The Heaven Makers"
                    by
                    > Frank Herbert. Obviously the author of this piece was unaware the
                    > theme had been done, although the focus was on the results rather
                    > than the sweating, heaving bodies moving as one etcnipetcspanketc.
                    >
                    > This was also a central plot to the Gor books. Much S&M/B&D. A
                    > riproaring read all round in fact.
                    >
                    > And didn't McCaffery do a novelette on the kidnapped girl c/w
                    ripped
                    > bodice forced to submit to unwelcome advances? Hur Hur Hur.
                    >
                    > Rose Rico????? Gad. Sounds like a Doc Smith name to me. I see it
                    all:

                    > The vile psuedo-cephalopd oozed into their prison, it's five
                    > eyestalks riveted on the ample charms of Rose. From its body a
                    > tentacular appendage began to form.
                    >
                    > Ranger Rick Reardon surged against some invisible force that held
                    > back his superhuman efforts to save the girl from the horror-to-be,
                    > and ground out "I'm sorry Rose, you'll have to submit to that
                    > repulsive, slime-covered slug-thing's advances. It seems to have me
                    > in some sort of mind-control and I can't reach my DeLammeter! What
                    > sheerly, starkly unthinkable turn of events!"
                    >
                    > "Don't worry about me" the plucky Rose bravely responded. "What a
                    > shame neither of us thought to put on our mind-shields before we
                    > decided to explore this derelict ship. Gosh, I hope it is all over
                    > quickly."
                    >
                    > With that, the foul monster doused the naked Rose with what looked
                    > like warm glycerin and ..........

                    Yeah, yeah? And?

                    Don't keep us in suspense.

                    > I do love a good pervy book-o-smut, especially them wot has damsels
                    > in distress in 'em.
                    >
                    > Gruntgrunt.
                    >
                    > Steve.

                  • Steve Something
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 4, 2004
                      Few brain cells left eh? Then you absolutely must not waste them on
                      unimportant trash the likes of Laurell Hamilton's, as my co-moderator
                      Membi would no doubt confirm.

                      She would join me in urging you to stick to Heinlein.

                      You have the same first names for one thing; a braincell saving right
                      there.

                      :)

                      Steve.

                      --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, bob_wall@y... wrote:
                      > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Something"
                      > <ss1400@y...> wrote:
                      > > You got it, Bob.
                      > >

                      > > The kindest thing I can say is that these stories should be filed
                      > in
                      > > the romance section of any bookstore. At least there the contents
                      > > wouldn't contavene the truth in advertising statutes so baldly.
                      > >
                      > > There you go, Bob. Has the truth set you free?
                      >
                      > Well, having never read anything by Laurel Hamilton, (at least I
                      > don't think so, too many brain cells fried in my younger days), I
                      > will bow to your superior knowledge of her work, and shan't waste
                      my
                      > time, or few remaining brain cells, Oh Great Sapnoid One.
                      >
                      > Later,
                      > Bob (huh?) Wall
                      >

                      > > Steve.

                    • hectopede
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 4, 2004
                        jennifermacaire wrote:

                        > The 'no porn' is for those who want to join adult groups looking
                        > for sexy excerpts and nothing else. This group is for the growing
                        > number of books published by the likes of Ellora's Cave, Liquid
                        > Silver, Extas, etc. that are science fiction or fantasy books with
                        > more sex than you'd see in a John Varley book, say.

                        It sounds very nominalistic for me: if you want to know what a thing
                        is then look at it. I was looking for definition. All I get is "books
                        with more sex than you'd see in a John Varley book."

                        I haven't read John Varley, this definition doesn't work for me.

                        I am not against sex in books, nor against discussing sex in books.
                        And I don't think anybody would ban discussing sex in literature in
                        this group.

                        hectopede
                      • Ignacio Viglizzo
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 8, 2004
                          Let me also back up this stance. I read "Lunatics Cafe", and was highly
                          disappointed. For a hip vampire Slayer, stick to Buffy!

                          http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html