Lesbian Sci-Fi adventure novel

  • Joan Arndt
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 24, 2004
      Hello Group,
      A novel that I toiled over for 12 years has just come out in e-book
      and print-on-demand formats by Artemis Press, a publisher of books of
      interest to the international womyn's commuity. The title is Zoo
      Gang Girls, and it can best be described as an outrageous Lesbian
      science fiction adventure social satire type thingee, but there isn't
      really a category for that yet...
      I have set up a promotional web page for it that describes it in more
      detail. It can be reached by clicking here:
      http://www.geocities.com/joanarndt
      If you like what you see, links are there to Artemis Press's site,
      where you can read excerpts and perhaps buy a copy :)
      Artemis Press is a legit, non-subsidy publisher that charges the
      author nothing and pays her 35% royalty on every book sold.
      url: http://www.artemispress.com
      I do hope you will check out my book.
      sincerely,
      Joan Arndt
    • hectopede
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 26, 2004
        Joan Arndt wrote:

        > Hello Group,
        > A novel that I toiled over for 12 years has just come out in e-book
        > and print-on-demand formats by Artemis Press, a publisher of books
        of
        > interest to the international womyn's commuity.

        English isn't my native language. This seems to me quite a novel idea
        that I might belong to myn :) What would the singular be?

        hectopede
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 27, 2004
          --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "Joan Arndt"
          <joanarndt@y...> wrote:
          > the international womyn's commuity

          What be with the quaynte spellinge?
        • bob_wall@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 27, 2004
            --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "raybell_scot"
            <raybell_scot@y...> wrote:
            > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "Joan Arndt"
            > <joanarndt@y...> wrote:
            > > the international womyn's commuity
            >
            > What be with the quaynte spellinge?

            Some feminists hate the word "man" and use myn instead, as
            in "womyn". Both singular and plural.
          • Joan Arndt
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 27, 2004
              In my novel Zoo Gang Girls, "woman" is spelled "womyn," and "women"
              is spelled "wimmin." But any other word with "man" or "men" anywhere
              in the spelling is spelled with "myn" instead. Except for the "M"
              word itself.
              Joan
              PS "He" is "it" till my character Melissa recognizes the man's
              humynity.

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 28, 2004
                --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, bob_wall@y... wrote:
                > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "raybell_scot"
                > <raybell_scot@y...> wrote:
                > > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "Joan Arndt"
                > > <joanarndt@y...> wrote:
                > > > the international womyn's commuity
                > >
                > > What be with the quaynte spellinge?
                >
                > Some feminists hate the word "man" and use myn instead, as
                > in "womyn". Both singular and plural.

                Looks fucking stupid, and doesn't achieve a think anyway.

                "Wimmin" is how it's pronounced.
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 28, 2004
                  <joanarndt@y...> wrote:
                  > In my novel Zoo Gang Girls, "woman" is spelled "womyn," and "women"
                  > is spelled "wimmin." But any other word with "man" or "men"
                  anywhere
                  > in the spelling is spelled with "myn" instead. Except for the "M"
                  > word itself.

                  What does this achieve though? Objecting to the word "man" for gender
                  reasons is one thing, using a stupid looking spelling still does fuck
                  all for underpaid office cleaners and nannies, it's middle class
                  bullshit.
                • hectopede
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 28, 2004
                    Joan Arndt wrote:

                    > In my novel Zoo Gang Girls, "woman" is spelled "womyn," and "women"
                    > is spelled "wimmin." But any other word with "man" or "men"
                    anywhere
                    > in the spelling is spelled with "myn" instead. Except for the "M"
                    > word itself.
                    > Joan
                    > PS "He" is "it" till my character Melissa recognizes the man's
                    > humynity.

                    I couldn't resist to tell an Estonian story about "y".

                    We have a letter "õ", an o with a squiggle on top of it. And we have
                    national hero in folklore: Suur Tõll, engl. Big Tõll.

                    The most celebrated ice-breaker in the history of Estonian navigation
                    is named "Suur Tõll". In Soviet time all the ships, boats and ferries
                    had to be registered in Moscow in two languages: Russian and English.
                    The Cyrillic letter for "õ", looks like "bl", is transcribed into
                    English as "y". This is read in Estonian as "[i]". Anyhow, after the
                    registration process Estonians read from the board of the boat "Suur
                    Tyll", what was a correct Latin alphabet version from the Moscow
                    point of view. It reads in Estonian "Big Dick".

                    Funny thing is, that "myn" looks very much like the same thing with a
                    Cyrillic vowel, namely the Estonian "M" word. I don't know what you
                    meant by that.

                    hectopede
                  • hectopede
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 28, 2004
                      raybell_scot wrote:

                      > What does this achieve though? Objecting to the word "man" for
                      gender
                      > reasons is one thing, using a stupid looking spelling still does
                      fuck
                      > all for underpaid office cleaners and nannies, it's middle class
                      > bullshit.

                      Gently, R-S, gently. Where is your cultural tolerance? If you knew
                      how the English language in fucked in texts published in Estonia,
                      you'll embrace all the feminist writers with joy ;)

                      hectopede
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 28, 2004
                        --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, hectopede
                        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                        > raybell_scot wrote:
                        >
                        > > What does this achieve though? Objecting to the word "man" for
                        > gender
                        > > reasons is one thing, using a stupid looking spelling still does
                        > fuck
                        > > all for underpaid office cleaners and nannies, it's middle class
                        > > bullshit.
                        >
                        > Gently, R-S, gently. Where is your cultural tolerance?

                        That's not cultural intolerance, that's a reality check. There's two
                        many people who think that playing around with words, and sitting in
                        a university dissecting texts is an effective substitute for
                        campaigning for better wages for the Group X/Y/Z or proper
                        protesting. The Establishment must be laughing its head off while a
                        bunch of middle class pseudo-intellectuals pontificates and spouts
                        hot air... it's business as normal for them.

                        You can call white people "melanin deficient", but it doesn't do a
                        damn thing about the average non-white people's living conditions and
                        pay.
                      • bob_wall@yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 28, 2004
                          <raybell_scot@y...> wrote:

                          > You can call white people "melanin deficient", but it doesn't do a
                          > damn thing about the average non-white people's living conditions
                          and
                          > pay.

                          Melanin deficient. Haven't heard that one before. I like it. I'm
                          gonna have to remember that one next time I'm filling out some
                          questionnaire that asks for race. Under "Other" I'll put "melanin
                          deficient". ;)

                          Later All,
                          Bob
                        • Joan Arndt
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 28, 2004
                            Jeeze, Raybell, I just wanted to write a funny story. It's not that
                            difficult to read. My contract allows me to send floppy "teasers"
                            with the 1st three chapters out, so if you'll email me your snail
                            address, I'll send you one. Are you game? Or just a bag of hot air
                            who trashes other peoples' work without even reading it?
                            Joan
                            PS And I'm not a psuedo intellectual. I dropped out of college after
                            my freshman year in 1972. I just happen to live near a university.

                            <raybell_scot@y...> wrote:
                            > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, hectopede
                            > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                            > > raybell_scot wrote:
                            > >
                            > > > What does this achieve though? Objecting to the word "man" for
                            > > gender
                            > > > reasons is one thing, using a stupid looking spelling still
                            does
                            > > fuck
                            > > > all for underpaid office cleaners and nannies, it's middle
                            class
                            > > > bullshit.
                            > >
                            > > Gently, R-S, gently. Where is your cultural tolerance?
                            >
                            > That's not cultural intolerance, that's a reality check. There's
                            two
                            > many people who think that playing around with words, and sitting
                            in
                            > a university dissecting texts is an effective substitute for
                            > campaigning for better wages for the Group X/Y/Z or proper
                            > protesting. The Establishment must be laughing its head off while a
                            > bunch of middle class pseudo-intellectuals pontificates and spouts
                            > hot air... it's business as normal for them.
                            >
                            > You can call white people "melanin deficient", but it doesn't do a
                            > damn thing about the average non-white people's living conditions
                            and
                            > pay.
                          • Brandon
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 28, 2004
                              On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 bob_wall@... wrote:

                              > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "raybell_scot"
                              > <raybell_scot@y...> wrote:
                              >

                              > > You can call white people "melanin deficient", but it doesn't do a
                              > > damn thing about the average non-white people's living conditions
                              > and
                              > > pay.
                              >
                              > Melanin deficient. Haven't heard that one before. I like it. I'm
                              > gonna have to remember that one next time I'm filling out some
                              > questionnaire that asks for race. Under "Other" I'll put "melanin
                              > deficient". ;)

                              My brother, who had total hip replacement at age 13 and now, at age 40,
                              has difficulty walking, insists on being called a "cripple". He also
                              refers to me and others who are fully ambulatory are "temporarily abled".
                              ;)
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 3, 2004
                                <joanarndt@y...> wrote:
                                > Jeeze, Raybell, I just wanted to write a funny story. It's not that
                                > difficult to read. My contract allows me to send floppy "teasers"
                                > with the 1st three chapters out, so if you'll email me your snail
                                > address, I'll send you one. Are you game?

                                If you're willing to post abroad. I take it you're in the USA.

                                >Or just a bag of hot air
                                > who trashes other peoples' work without even reading it?

                                I didn't trash your work, I trashed one piece of respelling.

                                > PS And I'm not a psuedo intellectual.

                                I hope not.