Re: LOTR racist?

  • Frank T
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 9, 2003
      --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, hectopede
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > raybell_scot wrote:
      >
      > > for all its faults, Wagner's Ring is certainly a greater
      > > achievement than the Rings.
      >
      > Can any book be written which have a chance to be greater
      achievement
      > than Wagner's opera?
      >
      > hectopede

      Many have tried and suceeded! And I like Wagner!
      FrankT
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 10, 2003
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > raybell_scot wrote:
        >
        > > for all its faults, Wagner's Ring is certainly a greater
        > > achievement than the Rings.
        >
        > Can any book be written which have a chance to be greater
        achievement
        > than Wagner's opera?

        Wagner was working in several media at the same time... whereas
        Tolkien was working with one, the written word... The comparison
        stops with the fact Tolkien wasn't writing music really.
      • hectopede
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 10, 2003
          Frank T wrote:

          > > Can any book be written which have a chance to be greater
          > achievement
          > > than Wagner's opera?

          > Many have tried and suceeded! And I like Wagner!

          It was a rhetorical question. I won't compare books and operas. And I
          like them both too :)

          hectopede
        • hectopede
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 10, 2003
            Frank T wrote:

            > > Can any book be written which have a chance to be greater
            > achievement
            > > than Wagner's opera?

            > Many have tried and suceeded! And I like Wagner!

            Just came to my mind. Seamus Heaney has recently translated Beowulf.
            I've heard the translation is a masterpiece, I haven't managed to
            read it yet. Heaney commented that JRRT was the first modern man who
            truly understood Beowulf's literary merits.

            I've read JRRT's own translations from the anglo-saxon English, The
            Green Knight and The Pearl. JRRT was a genius. Being loved by hippies
            doesn't help to become an academically accepted classic.

            hectopede