Sorry I've not been around much..

  • membi_99
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 23, 2003
      I've been trying to read the end of The Scar(Which I had
      lost,found,lost again and have had to go back over all that I'd read
      to refresh and then read from where I left off)and with tennis elbow
      I'm not doing much on the net.

      I'm also trying to get to grips with some 3D software(free of course)
      and I printed out it's manual(over 600 pages)which took one new
      printer,two black ink cartridges and one colour cartridge and more
      than one pack of paper.Started reading it(skipped chapters 1-5 about
      configuring)and started learning how to use it.Did well until I
      reached the Spline section?????

      What is a spline?There's 18 pages on different splines and I'm
      lost.So I may be gone some time as I explore.It's hard as I'm getting
      a lot of supply work at the moment leaving me with very little
      personal time.Which would be great for Christmas except I don't get
      the wages until AFTER crimbo has come and gone.:(

      Anyway When I finish this I have the deathstalker legacy to
      finish,the dick book to read,the fientuch book to read...the list
      goes on and on.....

      Membi_99. sorry about any typos but i am typing left handed.OOOh yes
      I've got a phaser type mouse.it's a Handheld trackball laser track
      and it does look like a phaser.the good thing about it is i can
      easily use it with my left hand.
      http://www.komputerkrazy.com/acatalog/Mice__tablets_etc.html

      it's the second one down.
    • Steve Something
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 24, 2003
        Splines are how you make compund curves and are usually portrayed as
        lines at a tangent to some point on a curve. By grabing the spline
        ends and moving them you can distort the curve. At least, that's how
        it works in the not-free Corel software. You can usually add points
        to the curve from which to draw splines. There are, in the Corel
        software, two kinds of spline; symetric and assymetric. They give
        different results when you start diddling with them.

        I don't know anything about the underlying mathemetics of the things,
        but given the behaviour they must be points where the curve's
        function is substituted for another.

        Most handbooks I've seen gloss over the whys and wherefores of
        splines, usually exhorting the user to play with them and get an
        intuitive feel for how they behave rather than try and understand how
        they do what they do.

        Steve.

        --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "membi_99"
        <cytherean1@n...> wrote:
        > I've been trying to read the end of The Scar(Which I had
        > lost,found,lost again and have had to go back over all that I'd
        read
        > to refresh and then read from where I left off)and with tennis
        elbow
        > I'm not doing much on the net.
        >
        > I'm also trying to get to grips with some 3D software(free of
        course)
        > and I printed out it's manual(over 600 pages)which took one new
        > printer,two black ink cartridges and one colour cartridge and more
        > than one pack of paper.Started reading it(skipped chapters 1-5
        about
        > configuring)and started learning how to use it.Did well until I
        > reached the Spline section?????
        >
        > What is a spline?There's 18 pages on different splines and I'm
        > lost.So I may be gone some time as I explore.It's hard as I'm
        getting
        > a lot of supply work at the moment leaving me with very little
        > personal time.Which would be great for Christmas except I don't get
        > the wages until AFTER crimbo has come and gone.:(
        >
        > Anyway When I finish this I have the deathstalker legacy to
        > finish,the dick book to read,the fientuch book to read...the list
        > goes on and on.....
        >
        > Membi_99. sorry about any typos but i am typing left handed.OOOh
        yes
        > I've got a phaser type mouse.it's a Handheld trackball laser track
        > and it does look like a phaser.the good thing about it is i can
        > easily use it with my left hand.
        > http://www.komputerkrazy.com/acatalog/Mice__tablets_etc.html
        >
        > it's the second one down.
      • membi_99
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 24, 2003
          Thanks Sevte,I think!
          Membi scurries to look at manual.Excuse head scratching in the mean
          time.

          Finished The Scar today at the convenience of the NHS.The waiting
          time was just sufficient for me to finish before they performed the
          vampyric ritual known as blood tests.
          Wow what a book.I'll write more in another posting later.
          Membi_99.

          --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Something"
          <ss1400@y...> wrote:
          > Splines are how you make compund curves and are usually portrayed
          as
          > lines at a tangent to some point on a curve. By grabing the spline
          > ends and moving them you can distort the curve. At least, that's
          how
          > it works in the not-free Corel software. You can usually add points
          > to the curve from which to draw splines. There are, in the Corel
          > software, two kinds of spline; symetric and assymetric. They give
          > different results when you start diddling with them.
          >
          > I don't know anything about the underlying mathemetics of the
          things,
          > but given the behaviour they must be points where the curve's
          > function is substituted for another.
          >
          > Most handbooks I've seen gloss over the whys and wherefores of
          > splines, usually exhorting the user to play with them and get an
          > intuitive feel for how they behave rather than try and understand
          how
          > they do what they do.
          >
          > Steve.

        • Steve Something
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 24, 2003
            Which package is this that you are using?

            <cytherean1@n...> wrote:
            > Thanks Sevte,I think!
            > Membi scurries to look at manual.Excuse head scratching in the mean
            > time.
            >
            > Finished The Scar today at the convenience of the NHS.The waiting
            > time was just sufficient for me to finish before they performed the
            > vampyric ritual known as blood tests.
            > Wow what a book.I'll write more in another posting later.
            > Membi_99.
            >

            > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Something"
            > <ss1400@y...> wrote:
            > > Splines are how you make compund curves and are usually portrayed
            > as
            > > lines at a tangent to some point on a curve. By grabing the
            spline
            > > ends and moving them you can distort the curve. At least, that's
            > how
            > > it works in the not-free Corel software. You can usually add
            points
            > > to the curve from which to draw splines. There are, in the Corel
            > > software, two kinds of spline; symetric and assymetric. They give
            > > different results when you start diddling with them.
            > >
            > > I don't know anything about the underlying mathemetics of the
            > things,
            > > but given the behaviour they must be points where the curve's
            > > function is substituted for another.
            > >
            > > Most handbooks I've seen gloss over the whys and wherefores of
            > > splines, usually exhorting the user to play with them and get an
            > > intuitive feel for how they behave rather than try and understand
            > how
            > > they do what they do.
            > >
            > > Steve.

          • Ignacio Viglizzo
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 28, 2003
              --- Steve Something <ss1400@...> wrote:
              > Splines are how you make compund curves and are usually portrayed as
              [...]
              > I don't know anything about the underlying mathemetics of the things,
              > but given the behaviour they must be points where the curve's
              > function is substituted for another.
              It's parametric polynomials based in points and tangents:
              http://www.bergen.org/AAST/Projects/3DSMaxTutorial/mathematics.html
              about the simplest thing you could do to get those nice lines ;-)

              BTW, what's an offog?

              =====
              Ignacio

              Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
              http://companion.yahoo.com/
            • Ignacio Viglizzo
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 28, 2003
                --- membi_99 <cytherean1@...> wrote:
                > Finished The Scar today at the convenience of the NHS.[...]> Wow what a
                book.I'll write more in another posting later.

                Please do so at Centerville, where we should be choosing a new book by now...

                =====

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 28, 2003
                  errr.. is that link supposed to explain what a spline is in relation
                  ship to the Cinema 4D CE 6 (free) software I'm trying to learn how to
                  use?If so I fear I may NEVER learn how to use it.

                  Pass the paracetamol?

                  Membi_99.

                  --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, Ignacio Viglizzo
                  <viglizzo@y...> wrote:

                  > --- Steve Something <ss1400@y...> wrote:
                  > > Splines are how you make compund curves and are usually portrayed
                  as
                  > [...]
                  > > I don't know anything about the underlying mathemetics of the
                  things,
                  > > but given the behaviour they must be points where the curve's
                  > > function is substituted for another.
                  > It's parametric polynomials based in points and tangents:
                  > http://www.bergen.org/AAST/Projects/3DSMaxTutorial/mathematics.html
                  > about the simplest thing you could do to get those nice lines ;-)
                  > >

                  > BTW, what's an offog?
                  >
                  > =====
                  > Ignacio

                  > Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
                  > http://companion.yahoo.com/
                • Ignacio Viglizzo
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 28, 2003
                    No, nothing of that prosaic nature ;-) Whith all the talk about splines, the
                    mathematician in me (the guy who earns my paycheck!) went out to find out what
                    they were.
                    Sorry if I caused you a headake!

                    =====

                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 1, 2003
                      Ignore Ignacio, he is a mathematician and they are notoriously bad at
                      making things actually work in the real world.

                      Splines turn what Ignacio intuitively understands into a tool you can
                      develop a feel for. Play with them and see what they do. That's what
                      the people who write the software usually tell you to do.

                      If you don't believe me about the Ignatio/mathemetician thing, ask
                      him how the "rotate" tool works. I'll bet he drones on about
                      transformation matrices and simultaneous equations.

                      :)