Re: [SFC] where sci-fi and comedy collide

    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 10, 2003
      In a message dated 11/10/2003 10:15:49 AM Central Standard Time,
      buxh42a@... writes:

      > Well, there is Douglas Adams' Hitchiker's Guide series. Robert
      > Scheckly also wrote some very funny sci-fi books.

      Oy! (he said, slapping his forehead), how could I have forgotten Robert
      Sheckley?? Frederick Brown also wrote some funny short stories - see the
      collection From These Ashes published by NESFA

      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 10, 2003
        --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, derhexer@a... wrote:
        > Two very funny science fiction books that I recall are The Flying
        Sorcerers
        > by Gerrold and Niven, and The Green Odyssey by Farmer. I don't
        think Farmer
        > intended Green.... to be a comedy, but I found the characters and
        dialog to be
        > parodies of thud 'n blunder science fiction.
        >
        > It would be interesting to share other works we think are SF-comedy

        "Wasp" is good. It shows a spy going into another society and slowly
        subverting it... it's very satirical, but dry humour.
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 10, 2003
          --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "buxh42a"
          <buxh42a@y...> wrote:
          > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, derhexer@a... wrote:
          > > It would be interesting to share other works we think are SF-
          comedy

          > Well, there is Douglas Adams' Hitchiker's Guide series. Robert
          > Scheckly also wrote some very funny sci-fi books.

          Red Dwarf's been mentioned on the website. It does take some leads
          from Hitch Hiker's and the first two books are not bad... (the
          British series is much better than the US remake although some
          references may be a little over Americans' heads). Douglas Adams was
          a genius...

          Most of the other examples which spring to mind are films -
          "Dark Star"

          "Ed Wood" (Not really Sci Fi, but about one of Sci Fi's, erm, more
          interesting directors.)

          "Amazon Women on the Moon" - A group of TV sketches, with a quite
          funny take on '50s B movies.

          "Space Balls" - hated by many, but a great spoof of Star Wars

          "Coneheads".

          TV series has normally been poor fare. I don't go for "Mork and
          Mindy" or "My Favourite Martian" much... although there is "Third
          Rock from the Sun" (not really Sci Fi more eccentric...).

          "The Cornish Parish State so isolated it lies on its own outskirts"
          http://www.trepanning.tv
        • dominic_lopez
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 10, 2003
            Has everyone forgotten about Kieth Laumer's Retief stories?
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 10, 2003
              I forgot to mention William Tenn - dry subtle humour, with a lot of sharp
              comments about modern society.

              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 10, 2003
                In a message dated 11/10/2003 7:53:46 PM Central Standard Time,
                no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:

                > Has everyone forgotten about Kieth Laumer's Retief stories?

                I guess we did, No_reply. Thanks for reminding us.

                I recall that Lewis Padgett had a series of stories about a drunken scientist
                and a robot who spent most of its time admiring itself in a mirror. (I think
                it was Padgett. All my books are packed away because we are moving.)

              • Brandon Ray
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 10, 2003
                  On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, raybell_scot wrote:

                  > Most of the other examples which spring to mind are films -
                  > "Dark Star"

                  "Dark Star" was great. Also, from the guys who did Firesign Theater,
                  "J-Men Forever" -- not exactly SF, but what they did was take a bunch of
                  old movie serials, cut them apart and splice them together with the
                  dialogue redubbed. Absolutely hysterical. Used to be shown on a late
                  night show on USA back in the 80s called "Night Flight" -- but you can get
                  it on DVD from Amazon now.

                  > TV series has normally been poor fare. I don't go for "Mork and
                  > Mindy" or "My Favourite Martian" much... although there is "Third
                  > Rock from the Sun" (not really Sci Fi more eccentric...).

                  "The X-files" occasionally dipped into satire/comedy, and sometimes did it
                  very well -- probably their best effort was "Jose Chung's 'From Outer
                  Space'", which lampooned the entire alien abduction theme that the show
                  itself was based on. Guest stars on that episode included Jesse Ventura
                  and Pat Sajak ....
                • Alison Page
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 11, 2003
                    Comedy SF thatI love -

                    * Dark Star: a work of genius (first film by John Carpenter)

                    'Captain Doolittle, sensors report a ninety five percent chance of sentient
                    life in the Horsehead Nebula!'
                    'Fuck *that* shit.'

                    * Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy (radio play, book, TV show and upcoming
                    movie)

                    another work of bloody genius

                    'A big hello to all you intelligent life forms out there. And to the rest of
                    my listeners - just keep banging those rocks together, guys.'

                    * Red Dwarf (British TV series)

                    yet another work of.. you get the picture

                    'Can't we use a tractor beam?'
                    'Excellent idea, except that we firstly we don't have a tractor beam, and
                    secondly there's no such thing as a tractor beam.'

                    * Spaced: a TV series little known outside Britain, about a group of SF
                    fans.

                    Well worth a look if you get the chance.

                    'The first rule of Robot Fight Club is... no smoking.'

                    Alison
                  • Pete Young
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 11, 2003
                      on 11/11/2003 12:29, Alison Page, wrote:

                      > * Spaced: a TV series little known outside Britain, about a group of SF
                      > fans.
                      >
                      > Well worth a look if you get the chance.

                      I am so glad someone has at last mentioned 'Spaced'. It is stunningly good,
                      even though it's not SF in itself, the consistent references to SF made it
                      almost required viewing for Brit SF fans. And I hear they're making a third
                      series - woohoo!

                      Pete
                    • Wildfire
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 11, 2003
                        A few more authors that have writen comic SF
                        Bob Shaw
                        Who Goes There
                        -
                        Harry Harrison
                        Bill The Galaxic Hero series
                        Star Smasher Of The Galaxic Rangers
                        Stainless Steel Rat series
                        -
                        Le Spagne De Camp
                        The Glory That Was
                        -
                        im not a huge fan of comic SF(fantasy yes) but i have read some over
                        the years a few others that have writen humourous SF....
                        -
                        Fredick Pohl& CM Kornbluth
                        The Space merchants
                        -
                        PK Dick
                        The Man Who Japed
                        -
                        Fredick Brown
                        Martians Go Home
                        -
                        Spider Robinson
                        Callahans Crosstime Saloon
                        -
                        James Blaylock
                        The Digging Leviathan
                        -
                        David Brin
                        The Practice Effect
                        -
                        Ron Goulart
                        various books(almost all of them)
                        -
                        Piers Anthony
                        Prostpro Plus
                        -
                        anyway thats a few to be going with
                        Wildfire
                      • buxh42a
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 11, 2003
                          --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "Alison Page"
                          <alison@a...> wrote:

                          > 'The first rule of Robot Fight Club is... no smoking.'
                          >
                          > Alison

                          Yes!!! Futurama is the end-all of all sci-fi parody!!

                          Sam
                        • dominic_lopez
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 11, 2003
                            I'm not No_repy. I'm Dominic. I don't know why my message looks like
                            it came from an automatic yahoo account.

                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 11, 2003
                              <buxh42a@y...> wrote:
                              > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "Alison Page"
                              > <alison@a...> wrote:
                              >

                              > > 'The first rule of Robot Fight Club is... no smoking.'
                              > >
                              > > Alison
                              >
                              > Yes!!! Futurama is the end-all of all sci-fi parody!!

                              Not so sure... it's not the best Groening. I like it, but it's too
                              second hand much of the time...
                            • Alison Page
                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 11, 2003
                                >> 'The first rule of Robot Fight Club is... no smoking.'
                                >>
                                >> Alison
                                >
                                >Yes!!! Futurama is the end-all of all sci-fi parody!!
                                >
                                >Sam

                                I do like Futurama, and I wish I hadn't forgotten it in that list, but that
                                was *supposed* to be a quote from 'Spaced' (from the episode, Spaced fans,
                                where they enter Robot wars against the cast of League of Gentlemen)

                                So either I've got my mental wires crossed (quite possible) or the two shows
                                used the same joke. I wonder whether one nicked it off the other, or if it's
                                just a coincidence?

                                Alison
                              • Bob Wall
                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 11, 2003
                                  --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, Brandon Ray
                                  <publius@p...> wrote:

                                  > "The X-files" occasionally dipped into satire/comedy, and sometimes
                                  did it
                                  > very well -- probably their best effort was "Jose Chung's 'From
                                  Outer
                                  > Space'", which lampooned the entire alien abduction theme that the
                                  show
                                  > itself was based on. Guest stars on that episode included Jesse
                                  Ventura
                                  > and Pat Sajak ....

                                  Brandon,

                                  It wasn't Pat Sajak, it was Alex Trebek.

                                  Now I have to go watch the tape again. This being home sick stuff
                                  sucks, but at least I have time to watch some of my tapes. Haven't
                                  seen that episode in a while. Definitely one of the funniest X File
                                  episodes. I love the part where Mulder screams when he sees the alien
                                  body.

                                  Later All,

                                  Bob (that ol' heretic and Xphile) Wall
                                • Brandon Ray
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Nov 11, 2003
                                    On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Bob Wall wrote:

                                    > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, Brandon Ray
                                    > <publius@p...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > "The X-files" occasionally dipped into satire/comedy, and sometimes
                                    > did it
                                    > > very well -- probably their best effort was "Jose Chung's 'From
                                    > Outer
                                    > > Space'", which lampooned the entire alien abduction theme that the
                                    > show
                                    > > itself was based on. Guest stars on that episode included Jesse
                                    > Ventura
                                    > > and Pat Sajak ....
                                    >
                                    > Brandon,
                                    >
                                    > It wasn't Pat Sajak, it was Alex Trebek.

                                    Whups! My bad. Thanks! :)
                                  • Joe Amodeo
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Nov 12, 2003
                                      --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, dominic_lopez

                                      wrote:
                                      > > In a message dated 11/10/2003 7:53:46 PM Central
                                      Standard Time,
                                      > > no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:
                                      > > > Has everyone forgotten about Kieth Laumer's Retief
                                      stories?
                                      > > I guess we did, No_reply. Thanks for reminding us.
                                      > > I recall that Lewis Padgett had a series of stories about a
                                      drunken scientist and a robot who spent most of its time
                                      admiring itself in a mirror. (I think it was Padgett. All my
                                      books are packed away because we are moving.)

                                      ROBOTS HAVE NO TAILS by Lewis Padgett/Henry Kuttner.
                                      Find your book. It sells now for up to $66.71 LOL. I
                                      remember the robot also had an automatic coctail mixer on
                                      board. One of my favorite books from the late 50's when I
                                      just started high school. The humor made me look further into
                                      SF than RAH and other young adult authors. Thanks for
                                      reminding me.
                                      Joe
                                    • Steve Something
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Nov 12, 2003
                                        Save your 415b (manly restraint in the face of being taken to task
                                        over inexplicable e-mail confusion) for those that care, "no_reply"!
                                        Your recalcitrance has been noted in your PF118, which has been
                                        forwarded to sector HQ along with a query regarding your last month's
                                        expense vouchers.

                                        Vice-Consul Steve.

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Nov 12, 2003
                                          --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "raybell_scot"
                                          <raybell_scot@y...> wrote:
                                          > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "buxh42a"
                                          > <buxh42a@y...> wrote:
                                          > > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, derhexer@a... wrote:
                                          > > > It would be interesting to share other works we think are SF-
                                          > comedy
                                          > > >

                                          > > Well, there is Douglas Adams' Hitchiker's Guide series. Robert
                                          > > Scheckly also wrote some very funny sci-fi books.
                                          >
                                          > Red Dwarf's been mentioned on the website. It does take some leads
                                          > from Hitch Hiker's and the first two books are not bad... (the
                                          > British series is much better than the US remake although some
                                          > references may be a little over Americans' heads). Douglas Adams was
                                          > a genius...
                                          >
                                          > Most of the other examples which spring to mind are films -
                                          > "Dark Star"
                                          >
                                          > "Ed Wood" (Not really Sci Fi, but about one of Sci Fi's, erm, more
                                          > interesting directors.)
                                          >
                                          > "Amazon Women on the Moon" - A group of TV sketches, with a quite
                                          > funny take on '50s B movies.
                                          >
                                          > "Space Balls" - hated by many, but a great spoof of Star Wars
                                          >
                                          > "Coneheads".
                                          >
                                          > TV series has normally been poor fare. I don't go for "Mork and
                                          > Mindy" or "My Favourite Martian" much... although there is "Third
                                          > Rock from the Sun" (not really Sci Fi more eccentric...).
                                          >
                                          > "The Cornish Parish State so isolated it lies on its own outskirts"
                                          > http://www.trepanning.tv

                                          Conheads the movie was terrible!! The sketeches from SNL were much
                                          funnier. Speaking of TV, I forgot to add MST3K!! They are a riot!

                                          Sam
                                        • Mike B
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Nov 12, 2003
                                            Can't remember the author's name, but in one of my "Best of 19..."
                                            books, there's a short story called "On Venus Have We Got a Rabbi"
                                            which I thought was hilarious!

                                            Mike B