Re: Stainless Steel Rat Question/Humour in genre fiction

  • Bob Wall
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 9, 2003
      --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Something"
      <ss1400@y...> wrote:
      > The first three are apparently in print as a combined volume now,
      > over at amazon.
      >
      > My collection includes:
      >
      > The Stainless Steel Rat
      > The Return of The Stainless Steel Rat
      > The Stainless Steel Rat Saves The World
      > The Stainless Steel Rat For President

      Thanks Steve. I have read The Stainless Steel Rat and The Stainless
      Steel Rat Saves The World. I'm really enjoying The Stainless Steel
      Rat Goes To hell so far. I'll have to check out the others.

      > Birth of a Stainless Steel Rat (? I think that was the title)
      >
      > In addition to your volume there is also "The Stainless Steel Rat
      > Sings The Blues.
      >

      > If you are at all well read in the foundation stones of SF, you
      > should keep your eyes and wallet peeled for a Harrison story
      > entitled "Star Smashers of the Galaxy Rangers", a truly
      sidesplitting
      > satirical parody of EE 'Doc' Smith's fictional themes and style
      (yes,
      > he had one!) but with walk-on skewerings of many major authors and
      > famous stories.

      Star Smashers of the Galaxy Rangers sounds very familiar. I think I
      read that a long time ago. The old memory ain't what it used to be.
      Maybe I'll go into Borders and try to find it. I can usually tell
      fairly quickly if I have read a book.

      If you never read any Smith, particularly the Skylark
      > and Lensman books, I wouldn't blame you but you will not be able to
      > taste the delicious sauce of this book, sadly.

      I don't think I have read any of the Lensman books (damn memory stuff
      again), but I'll try to check them out too.

      If you are completely
      > familiar with the peridious treachery of Blackie DuQuesne and know
      > one end of a DeLammeter

      Nope, can't say that I am.

      from another you will either love SSOTGR or
      > hate it.

      Later,
      Bob