Re: Stainless Steel Rat Question/Humour in genre fiction

  • Steve Something
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 9, 2003
      The first three are apparently in print as a combined volume now,
      over at amazon.

      My collection includes:

      The Stainless Steel Rat
      The Return of The Stainless Steel Rat
      The Stainless Steel Rat Saves The World
      The Stainless Steel Rat For President

      Birth of a Stainless Steel Rat (? I think that was the title)

      In addition to your volume there is also "The Stainless Steel Rat
      Sings The Blues.

      "Birth" is concerned with the young slippery Jim De Griz, and the
      story is not as inspired as the first four. Of them all I like the
      first two best, (The antics involving ingenious methods of caching
      forbidden alcohol for emergencies had me in hysterics for weeks after
      reading "Return") but the quality of them all is generally good.

      I cannot say the same for the excrable Bill The Galactic Hero
      followups. I bought a couple of these on the strength of the very
      funny original story. The first was okayish, but the second (written
      with Sheckley if memory serves) was a poorly edited stream of drunken
      conciousness with nothing at all to recommend it. Indeed, this is the
      reason I stopped reading Harrison's stuff.

      If you are at all well read in the foundation stones of SF, you
      should keep your eyes and wallet peeled for a Harrison story
      entitled "Star Smashers of the Galaxy Rangers", a truly sidesplitting
      satirical parody of EE 'Doc' Smith's fictional themes and style (yes,
      he had one!) but with walk-on skewerings of many major authors and
      famous stories. If you never read any Smith, particularly the Skylark
      and Lensman books, I wouldn't blame you but you will not be able to
      taste the delicious sauce of this book, sadly. If you are completely
      familiar with the peridious treachery of Blackie DuQuesne and know
      one end of a DeLammeter from another you will either love SSOTGR or
      hate it. I loved it, once I had the sense to get past the title and
      read it. Laffoutloud Funny, and it anticipated the "Behold The Power
      Of Cheese" catchphrase by three annabit decades. Worth reading just
      for the scene in which we meet Lord Pr'see for the first time.

      Want more genre Humour? You should also check out the Barnum stories
      by Ron Goulart. And the short fiction of Randell Garret if you can
      find it. You already know about Pratchett.

      Steve.

      --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Wall"
      <bob_wall@y...> wrote:
      > How many books are in the series? I have read a couple of them in
      the
      > past, and just bought The Stainless Steel Rat Goes To Hell
      yesterday.

      > I can't say that I am a big fan, but I do enjoy a little tongue-in-
      > cheek humor in my Sci Fi occasionally.
      >
      > Just wanna know what it's gonna cost me to read the rest.
      >
      > Later All,
      > Bob (You know, that other one)
      >
      > p.s. Has anybody here read any of the Repairman Jack books? I read
      > the first couple, but they didn't do a whole helluva lot for me.
    • Bob Wall
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 9, 2003
        --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Something"
        <ss1400@y...> wrote:
        > The first three are apparently in print as a combined volume now,
        > over at amazon.
        >
        > My collection includes:
        >
        > The Stainless Steel Rat
        > The Return of The Stainless Steel Rat
        > The Stainless Steel Rat Saves The World
        > The Stainless Steel Rat For President

        Thanks Steve. I have read The Stainless Steel Rat and The Stainless
        Steel Rat Saves The World. I'm really enjoying The Stainless Steel
        Rat Goes To hell so far. I'll have to check out the others.

        > Birth of a Stainless Steel Rat (? I think that was the title)
        >
        > In addition to your volume there is also "The Stainless Steel Rat
        > Sings The Blues.
        >

        > If you are at all well read in the foundation stones of SF, you
        > should keep your eyes and wallet peeled for a Harrison story
        > entitled "Star Smashers of the Galaxy Rangers", a truly
        sidesplitting
        > satirical parody of EE 'Doc' Smith's fictional themes and style
        (yes,
        > he had one!) but with walk-on skewerings of many major authors and
        > famous stories.

        Star Smashers of the Galaxy Rangers sounds very familiar. I think I
        read that a long time ago. The old memory ain't what it used to be.
        Maybe I'll go into Borders and try to find it. I can usually tell
        fairly quickly if I have read a book.

        If you never read any Smith, particularly the Skylark
        > and Lensman books, I wouldn't blame you but you will not be able to
        > taste the delicious sauce of this book, sadly.

        I don't think I have read any of the Lensman books (damn memory stuff
        again), but I'll try to check them out too.

        If you are completely
        > familiar with the peridious treachery of Blackie DuQuesne and know
        > one end of a DeLammeter

        Nope, can't say that I am.

        from another you will either love SSOTGR or
        > hate it.

        Later,
        Bob