Re: Let's Talk Asimov

  • Peta Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2003

      >--- Steve Something <ss1400@...> wrote:
      >
      >Favourite short story ...
      >
      > the one about the long-chain
      > > molecule that relieves its internal structural stresses by moving
      > > segments of itself a few microjiffies into the future, written as a
      > > technical report and citing some of the unforseen problems caused by
      > > it in writing reports.
      >
      >That was the good doctor first published fiction, and they asked him about it
      >during his (chemistry) doctoral defense... or so the legend goes.

      "The Endochronic Properties of Resublimated Thiotimoline" appears in The
      Early Asimov Volume 3 and Asimov himself says that after being grilled for
      an hour and 20 minutes for his PhD, one of the examining professors asked
      him a question about Thiotimoline.
      I have always thoroughly enjoyed the commentaries that authors like Asimov
      include before and after short stories to explain where, when and why they
      wrote the story and what happened after it was completed.

      Peta