Re: [SFC] Let's talk Asimov!

  • Ignacio Viglizzo
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 6, 2003
      > > > Foundation.
      > > Hm. Is that a novel? really?? ;-)

      I mean that it's more like a fix-up of short stories (which previously appeared
      in magazines). It doesn't exactly feel like a novel...

      > Part 1 of a trilogy when I first read it. Part two, Foundation and
      > Empire" is almost as good. Part three, "Second Foundation" was ok.
      >
      > But I liked the first book the best.
      >
      > :b
      >
      > Steve

      =====
      Ignacio

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • Steve Something
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 7, 2003
        Hmm, well, if we outlaw "fixups" as true novels we pretty much
        disqualify the vast majority of anything in print, including a huge
        number of prizewinning stories (geddit?). Some of those titles now in
        limbo pending a descision:

        Dune (Herbert)
        Dragonflight (McCaffery)
        Foundation (Asimov)

        Serialised stories that undergo revision prior to being published in
        single-volume format are not called "fixups" by some, but probably
        are open to the same criticism. Such stories include:

        Dying of the Light (Miller)
        Cetaganda (Bujold)
        Venus (Bova)

        I liked the episodic feel to "Foundation" and it didn't feel like a
        non-novel because of that from where I was sitting (Back seat of my
        Dad's Mini Traveller as I recall).

        Steve.

        --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, Ignacio Viglizzo
        <viglizzo@y...> wrote:
        > > > Hm. Is that a novel? really?? ;-)
        >
        > I mean that it's more like a fix-up of short stories (which
        previously appeared
        > in magazines). It doesn't exactly feel like a novel...
        >
        > > Part 1 of a trilogy when I first read it. Part two, Foundation
        and
        > > Empire" is almost as good. Part three, "Second Foundation" was ok.
        > >
        > > But I liked the first book the best.
        > >
        > > :b
        > >
        > > Steve
        >

        > =====
        > Ignacio

        > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      • Ignacio Viglizzo
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 7, 2003
          It's not the same a serial than a fix-up... the stories of Foundation could
          stand well on their own, while Dune has a more clear story arc. Anyway, I'll
          concede that Foundation is a novel, and accept it as a valid entry for

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 28, 2003