George Lucas: may the fee be with you

  • Pete Young
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 1, 2003
      "LucasFilm plans to unveil a movie-fan subscription Web site next week.
      "Hyperspace" at http://www.starwars.com will let subscribers watch deleted
      scenes from previous films, sign up for a Star Wars e-mail address and watch
      a Webcam on the set of the filming of "Star Wars: Episode III" in Australia,
      beginning in June. The annual fee is $19.95. "It's less than a subscription
      to a magazine. And it's a way to have a little bit of Star Wars with you all
      year," John Singh, spokesman for LucasFilm told Cnet."

      Pete
    • Al Griffith
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 1, 2003
        --- Pete Young <pete-young@...> wrote:
        > "LucasFilm plans to unveil a movie-fan subscription
        > Web site next week.
        > "Hyperspace" at http://www.starwars.com will let
        > subscribers watch deleted
        > scenes from previous films

        Great. We get to see the bits that were even dumber
        than the bits in the commercial release. Stuff so bad
        even George Lucas thought they were crap.

        Al

        http://calendar.yahoo.com
      • buxh42a
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 2, 2003
          --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, Al Griffith
          <dfordoom@y...> wrote:
          > --- Pete Young <pete-young@m...> wrote:
          > > "LucasFilm plans to unveil a movie-fan subscription
          > > Web site next week.
          > > "Hyperspace" at http://www.starwars.com will let
          > > subscribers watch deleted
          > > scenes from previous films
          >
          > Great. We get to see the bits that were even dumber
          > than the bits in the commercial release. Stuff so bad
          > even George Lucas thought they were crap.
          >
          > Al

          Lucas has definitely been seduced by the dark side of the force.
          First he doesn't release the first 3 Star Wars films on DVD yet, then
          he decides to direct all 3 prequels himself. Lucas is so egotistcal
          that he cannot let more qualified and better directors shoot his
          films for him.

          Sam
        • Al Griffith
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 2, 2003
            --- buxh42a <buxh42a@...> wrote:
            > Lucas has definitely been seduced by the dark side
            > of the force.
            > First he doesn't release the first 3 Star Wars films
            > on DVD yet, then
            > he decides to direct all 3 prequels himself. Lucas
            > is so egotistcal
            > that he cannot let more qualified and better
            > directors shoot his
            > films for him.

            The guy who sweeps the floors at Lucasfilms could
            direct movies better than George Lucas. Some of the
            more intelligent non-human primates could direct
            movies better than George Lucas.

            Al

            http://calendar.yahoo.com
          • dominic_lopez
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 2, 2003
              <dfordoom@y...> wrote:
              > The guy who sweeps the floors at Lucasfilms could
              > direct movies better than George Lucas. Some of the
              > more intelligent non-human primates could direct
              > movies better than George Lucas.

              My dog is a better director and he's dead.
            • Ignacio Viglizzo
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 2, 2003
                Mmmmm... I think you guys may be exaggerating here. I will go see the next
                George Lucas-directed film, but I don't think I would pay for seeing something
                directed by a dead dog....
                --- dominic_lopez <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, Al Griffith
                > <dfordoom@y...> wrote:
                > > The guy who sweeps the floors at Lucasfilms could
                > > direct movies better than George Lucas. Some of the
                > > more intelligent non-human primates could direct
                > > movies better than George Lucas.
                >
                > My dog is a better director and he's dead.

                =====
                Ignacio

                http://calendar.yahoo.com
              • Al Griffith
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 2, 2003
                  --- Ignacio Viglizzo <viglizzo@...> wrote:
                  > Mmmmm... I think you guys may be exaggerating here.
                  > I will go see the next
                  > George Lucas-directed film, but I don't think I
                  > would pay for seeing something
                  > directed by a dead dog....

                  Did you pay to see "The Phantom Menace"?

                  And if you did, why on earth would you consider seeing
                  another Lucas fiasco? There must be some decent SF
                  movies out there, surely?

                  Al

                  http://calendar.yahoo.com
                • Brandon Ray
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 2, 2003
                    On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, buxh42a wrote:

                    > Lucas has definitely been seduced by the dark side of the force.
                    > First he doesn't release the first 3 Star Wars films on DVD yet, then
                    > he decides to direct all 3 prequels himself. Lucas is so egotistcal
                    > that he cannot let more qualified and better directors shoot his
                    > films for him.

                    Yeah -- he invented all the characters and the situations, believed in it
                    and worked on it when he was a nobody and scored big -- and now he thinks
                    he has the right to direct the last three movies? What was he
                    thinking????? ;)
                  • Al Griffith
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 2, 2003
                      --- Brandon Ray <publius@...> wrote:
                      > Yeah -- he invented all the characters and the
                      > situations, believed in it
                      > and worked on it when he was a nobody and scored big
                      > -- and now he thinks
                      > he has the right to direct the last three movies?
                      > What was he
                      > thinking????? ;)

                      He was thinking he had the necessary talent to direct
                      movies. "The Phantom Menace" demonstrated
                      conclusively that he was wrong.

                      Al

                      http://calendar.yahoo.com
                    • Brandon Ray
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 2, 2003
                        On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Al Griffith wrote:

                        > --- Ignacio Viglizzo <viglizzo@...> wrote:
                        > > Mmmmm... I think you guys may be exaggerating here.
                        > > I will go see the next
                        > > George Lucas-directed film, but I don't think I
                        > > would pay for seeing something
                        > > directed by a dead dog....
                        >
                        > Did you pay to see "The Phantom Menace"?

                        Yes

                        > And if you did, why on earth would you consider seeing
                        > another Lucas fiasco?

                        If Lucas ever perpetrated a fiasco, I would not wish to see it.

                        There must be some decent SF
                        > movies out there, surely?

                        Yes, and PM was one of them. Not great, and certainly not up to the level
                        of the original trilogy. And I could have done without Jar-Jar. But
                        "decent" is a pretty fair characterization.
                      • Ignacio Viglizzo
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 3, 2003
                          --- Al Griffith <dfordoom@...> wrote:
                          > Did you pay to see "The Phantom Menace"?
                          Yes.

                          > And if you did, why on earth would you consider seeing
                          > another Lucas fiasco? There must be some decent SF
                          > movies out there, surely?

                          Will I pay to see Episode III? yes. (Ep II was better than I, so there's still
                          hope!)
                          I'll also see Terminator 3, and Matrix Revolutions, and Hulk and LXG any other
                          scifi movie around. I do enjoy them, even if I long for them to be a bit
                          better. There are more coming out this year, I'd guess it's because FX are
                          getting cheaper. With the increasing quantity of "CGI blockbusters" someone
                          will eventually get it right. Mmmm... wait a second! X-men 2 was really good!
                          someone got it right already!

                          =====
                          Ignacio

                          http://calendar.yahoo.com
                        • buxh42a
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 3, 2003
                            --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, Brandon Ray
                            <publius@p...> wrote:

                            > On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, buxh42a wrote:
                            >

                            > > Lucas has definitely been seduced by the dark side of the force.
                            > > First he doesn't release the first 3 Star Wars films on DVD yet, then
                            > > he decides to direct all 3 prequels himself. Lucas is so egotistcal
                            > > that he cannot let more qualified and better directors shoot his
                            > > films for him.
                            > >

                            > Yeah -- he invented all the characters and the situations, believed
                            in it
                            > and worked on it when he was a nobody and scored big -- and now he
                            thinks
                            > he has the right to direct the last three movies? What was he
                            > thinking????? ;)

                            He was headed in the right direction with "The Empire Strikes Back",
                            working more on the character development level, but then, somehow he
                            got the 'Disney' bug and started peddling 'cute, little aliens' to the
                            audience. Please no more Ewoks and Jar Jar Binks.

                            You think with his powerful influence in Hollywood he could have his
                            pick of great directors. How come his buddy Spielberg has never
                            directed a Star Wars film? That's something I'd like to see.

                            Sam
                          • Brandon Ray
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 3, 2003
                              buxh42a wrote:

                              > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, Brandon Ray
                              > <publius@p...> wrote:
                              > >

                              > > On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, buxh42a wrote:
                              > >

                              > > > Lucas has definitely been seduced by the dark side of the force.
                              > > > First he doesn't release the first 3 Star Wars films on DVD yet, then
                              > > > he decides to direct all 3 prequels himself. Lucas is so egotistcal
                              > > > that he cannot let more qualified and better directors shoot his
                              > > > films for him.
                              > > >

                              > > Yeah -- he invented all the characters and the situations, believed
                              > in it
                              > > and worked on it when he was a nobody and scored big -- and now he
                              > thinks
                              > > he has the right to direct the last three movies? What was he
                              > > thinking????? ;)
                              >
                              > He was headed in the right direction with "The Empire Strikes Back",
                              > working more on the character development level, but then, somehow he
                              > got the 'Disney' bug and started peddling 'cute, little aliens' to the
                              > audience. Please no more Ewoks and Jar Jar Binks.

                              I agree that there were problems with cuteness
                              starting with "Return of the Jedi", and that "The
                              Phantom Menace" was worse in that regard. I
                              notice that Jar-Jar's presence was scaled way way
                              back in the most recent film, and I hope that
                              means Lucas was responding to complaints from the
                              fans. I even thought there was a certain
                              poignance that it was Jar-Jar who proposed giving
                              Palpatine dictatorial powers -- basically, the
                              poor guy meant well, but he was manipulated and
                              duped, and it's hard not to feel sorry for someone
                              in that situation. So I'm cautiously optimistic
                              about the next SW film.

                              > You think with his powerful influence in Hollywood he could have his
                              > pick of great directors. How come his buddy Spielberg has never
                              > directed a Star Wars film? That's something I'd like to see.

                              When I first read this paragraph, my knee jerked
                              against the idea. But having taken a second to
                              think about it .... those two did pretty well when
                              they more-or-less collaborated on the first Indy
                              film. It's possible that they are able to bolster
                              each other's weaknesses, and that's what made the
                              result so good. Of course, it's been 20 years, so
                              whether that would work again is anybody's guess.
                            • Steve Something
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 3, 2003
                                Other than a rather insulting resemblance to a Jamaican Ratafarian, I
                                for one can't understand wht the "Jar Jar Binks" controvesy started
                                anyway. That one character from such a stinker of a movie could
                                generate that much interest is mind-boggling.

                                It's not as though the series could be somehow saved by excising that
                                one character anyway. I mean, was anyone in doubt of who the Emperor
                                was by the end of the Phantom Menace? Given that they telegraphed
                                that, and made the Anakin Story so ridiculous I almost lost my right
                                eye when my disbelief snapped out of suspension, what is the
                                motivation for watching the wretched movies now?

                                It should have been the ride. We all know how it ends. The character
                                surprises are now only going to be of the "I never suspected the guy
                                he introduced on the last page of the script" sort. So the scenery is
                                the payoff. But that seems to have been envisaged as a series of set
                                pieces designed on the basis of their wholesale portability into the
                                after market game industry, resulting in yet more ludicrous and
                                (worse still) boring footage.

                                Then we have the unintended descent into high comedy. My 10 year old
                                daughter's enjoyment of episode II was colored by the observation
                                that it didn't make sense for Yoda to limp along with a cane, then
                                bounce all over the cave floor, walls and ceiling like she does after
                                sugary soda and cake at her aunt's house. My take on it was that I
                                didn't know which was less believable, that a glove puppet with gout
                                was suddenly a gymnastic superbeing or that Christopher Lee ("Count
                                Doofus") was.

                                But watch American Graffiti and *then* tell me Lucas can't make a
                                good movie.

                                What is missing is the editorial process. We can come closer to home
                                and see the same decision produce the same disasterous effects if we
                                force ourselves to read the unexpurgated version of "The Stand", That
                                goshawful thing by a peeved Piers Anthony (title escapes me right
                                now, book contained marginalia explaining how he was right and his
                                editors were wrong and didn't I end up hating them all and never
                                buying one of his books again?) or indeed the vast majority of
                                fiction put out on author owned websites, the ultimate vanity press.

                                What this suggests strongly is that no matter how talented a creative
                                person may be, they only achieve greatness through the process of
                                peer review. Even the great names from the Golden Age believed they
                                grew better at what they did because of the rejection slips, not
                                despite them.

                                And now I'm going home for my tea.

                                Steve.

                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 3, 2003
                                  --- Ignacio Viglizzo <viglizzo@...> wrote:
                                  > Will I pay to see Episode III? yes. (Ep II was
                                  > better than I, so there's still
                                  > hope!)
                                  > I'll also see Terminator 3, and Matrix Revolutions,
                                  > and Hulk and LXG any other
                                  > scifi movie around.

                                  I might watch some of those when they reach cable TV.
                                  But I probably won't.

                                  > I do enjoy them, even if I long
                                  > for them to be a bit
                                  > better. There are more coming out this year, I'd
                                  > guess it's because FX are
                                  > getting cheaper. With the increasing quantity of
                                  > "CGI blockbusters" someone
                                  > will eventually get it right.

                                  Is that like the theory that if you give enough
                                  monkeys word processors one of them will eventually
                                  produce "Hamlet". The only trouble is, monkeys are
                                  smarter than Hollywood movie people!

                                  Al

                                  http://calendar.yahoo.com