Re: Earth Abides

  • buxh42a
    Message 1 of 5 , May 9, 2003
      --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, banmeac
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > I agree, I had to read that in school, such a bad example of good
      sf.

      Why do you say it is such a bad example? Earth Abides is an
      excellent novel. I think people who find it un-exciting have been
      watching too many Star Wars films, looking for battles and
      explosions. You probably don't like "More Than Human" by Sturgeon as
      well, which doesn't have any of the kind. Earth Abides is more of a
      cerebral book which follows the traditional post-apocalyptic formula,
      a common science fiction theme. It is about a man trying to rebuild
      civilization. Stewart's hero seeks desperately to save humanity's
      past, but will ultimately only be able to provide the survivors the
      tools for bare survival. Ish Williams is the last member of a dying
      breed, one who is very uneasy about the absolute power his
      deification by other survivors has brought him. I don't understand
      how this man's failure to restore civilization doesn't move you in
      some way. How he can see the great library, representing all of
      man's knowledge and accomplishments, literally crumble and become
      forgotten, paralleling the degradation of an industrial society into
      medievalism.

      Science fiction doesn't always have to occur in outer space or some
      alien world to be good science fiction.

      Sam
    • Steve Something
      Message 2 of 5 , May 9, 2003
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > I agree, I had to read that in school, such a bad example of good
        sf.

        Ah, a critic of the Clive James school!

        As he once said: "I'm really looking forward to how you'll be looking
        backwards when I'm walking with you sideways throught the night."

        :)

        Steve.