Ancient SF

  • bell_raymond
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2 6:04 AM
      has anyone any tips on "Ancient" SF? By that I mean SF type stories
      published before 1800.

      Here's a few off the top of my head. The first one is the best part
      of 2000 years old.

      Lucian - True Histories (or Trips to the Moon)
      Rousseau
      Swift - Gulliver's Travels
      Voltaire - Micromegas
    • Wildfire
      Message 2 of 3 , May 3 4:07 AM
        Ahhh Lucian of Samosata ...but what of Menippus
        Heres a few "ancient" tales but dont blame me if their not strictly
        SF im just not getting into THAT arguement :(
        Lucian satire.....utopian
        Utopia(1516) by Thomas Moore and Peter Giles
        The City Of The Sun(1623) by Tommaso Campanella
        The New Atlantis(1627) by Francis Bacon
        Somnium(1634) by Johannes Kepler
        and of course
        Other Worlds(1657-1662) by Cyrano De Bergerac
        Wildfire

        --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "bell_raymond"
        <bell_raymond@y...> wrote:
        > has anyone any tips on "Ancient" SF? By that I mean SF type stories
        > published before 1800.
        >
        > Here's a few off the top of my head. The first one is the best part
        > of 2000 years old.
        >
        > Lucian - True Histories (or Trips to the Moon)
        > Rousseau
        > Swift - Gulliver's Travels
        > Voltaire - Micromegas
      • bell_raymond
        Message 3 of 3 , May 3 9:05 AM
          --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "Wildfire"
          <wildfire160@h...> wrote:
          > Ahhh Lucian of Samosata ...but what of Menippus
          > Heres a few "ancient" tales but dont blame me if their not strictly
          > SF im just not getting into THAT arguement :(
          > Lucian satire.....utopian
          > Utopia(1516) by Thomas Moore and Peter Giles
          > The City Of The Sun(1623) by Tommaso Campanella
          > The New Atlantis(1627) by Francis Bacon
          > Somnium(1634) by Johannes Kepler
          > and of course
          > Other Worlds(1657-1662) by Cyrano De Bergerac
          > Wildfire

          Nah, these are fine. There's obviously a lot of fantasy tales, but I
          would say that Utopia, and Bergerac definitely come close to SF -- if
          nothing else, I doubt many people would disagree that Gulliver &
          Butler's islands are now other planets e.g. Boulle's Planet of the
          Apes.

          If you're going to talk about gods, I think Stapledon features God
          in "Starmaker", although I haven't read it.