Now about this writing competition!

  • membi_99
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2003
      Which I mentined in post 7144
      I am very,very,intensely disappointed to have had no indications of
      any entries.

      Are any of you attempting to write an entry?Or have you just
      forgotten all about it? I'd like to assume the former but with go
      with the latter just in case.So to the copying and pasting.

      I want you to write an introductory chapter in the style of your
      favourite Science Fiction author and you are to include the themes of

      1)Time travel.

      2)Gender issues.

      3)War.

      Yes all three of them please!!(Sigh!!I hope I don't get 20 Heinlein
      like entries)THOUGH I WOULD RATHER THIS THAN NO ENTRIES.

      Now you can post them here if you like OR you can link to them from
      here.Unless anyone has a brighter idea of how to organise this????
      I will need to know which postings to check so maybe if you let me
      know the posting number at my email addy of membi_99@... so
      I can organise the usual poll at Mister Poll.

      I think thats all except to say that I have organised my more usual
      art type comp over at Centerville.Oh and I will be naggi...errr
      reminding you from time to time.
      What's that?
      Oh yes the closing date is 21st June 2003.OR DO YOU WANT MORE TIME?
      let me know if this is the case?

      Love Membi_99.
    • mjbphotos
      Message 2 of 8 , May 2, 2003
        Membi - although I do occasionally write some SF, I
        don't think I could attempt to write in another
        writer's style - I haven't even figured out what my
        style is!

        Mike B

        http://search.yahoo.com
      • Steve Something
        Message 3 of 8 , May 2, 2003
          --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, mjbphotos
          <mjbphotos@y...> wrote:
          > Membi - although I do occasionally write some SF, I
          > don't think I could attempt to write in another
          > writer's style - I haven't even figured out what my
          > style is!
          >
          > Mike B

          > http://search.yahoo.com

          I think the difficulty is in writing original stuff in another style
          without it becoming pastiche or parody.

          Membi: Were you actually looking for stories of the pastiche type
          when you threw down the waldo and challenged us? In other words, were
          you looking for a writer to resurrect a plot and/or characters
          already used by the chosen author and tell a new tale?

          For example, I could set a Draco Tavern story in a cider house in
          Southernmost England. This, depending on the way it was done would
          either be a parody (poking fun) of Larry Niven's stuff or a pastiche
          (homage). A Cornish Pastiche, as it were.

          Anyway, I have an idea for a new writing competition after this one
          winds down that I will share with you later. You can take the idea
          and fix it up into something workable.

          Steve.
        • membi_99
          Message 4 of 8 , May 2, 2003
            --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Something"
            <ss1400@y...> wrote:
            > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, mjbphotos
            > <mjbphotos@y...> wrote:
            > > Membi - although I do occasionally write some SF, I
            > > don't think I could attempt to write in another
            > > writer's style - I haven't even figured out what my
            > > style is!
            > >
            > > Mike B

            > > http://search.yahoo.com
            >
            > I think the difficulty is in writing original stuff in another
            style
            > without it becoming pastiche or parody.
            >
            > Membi: Were you actually looking for stories of the pastiche type
            > when you threw down the waldo and challenged us? In other words,
            were
            > you looking for a writer to resurrect a plot and/or characters
            > already used by the chosen author and tell a new tale?
            >
            > For example, I could set a Draco Tavern story in a cider house in
            > Southernmost England. This, depending on the way it was done would
            > either be a parody (poking fun) of Larry Niven's stuff or a
            pastiche
            > (homage). A Cornish Pastiche, as it were.
            >
            > Anyway, I have an idea for a new writing competition after this one
            > winds down that I will share with you later. You can take the idea
            > and fix it up into something workable.
            >
            > Steve.

            Dear Steve,
            It's just meant to be fun!Nothing more than that.If you don't want to
            do it fine BUT I will be disappointed as I'm sure many of this group
            could do as well if not better than some SF authors.I chose a writing
            comp to give those who feel Intimidated or left out of my art
            competitions a chance to JOIN IN.

            I just set the rules I did to make it easier for US to judge when the
            time comes.I also made it an intro chapter(and I did't set a limit of
            number of words so that people would be writing to number rather than
            content)as it wouldn't require too much depth of character and would
            just be setting the scene.

            If you want to do a parody fine,a pastiche again fine or a serious
            attempt that's fine also.It's entirely up to the individual. I won't
            be the only judge as I will be setting up a poll so all may cast a
            vote.
            So whomever enters the Comp try to enjoy it.It's not supposed to be
            high literature after all unless YOU want it to be.All you need is a
            love of SF and some imagination

            Love,
            Membi_99
          • Steve Something
            Message 5 of 8 , May 2, 2003
              --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "membi_99"
              <cytherean1@n...> wrote:
              > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Something"
              > <ss1400@y...> wrote:
              > > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, mjbphotos
              > > <mjbphotos@y...> wrote:
              > > > Membi - although I do occasionally write some SF, I
              > > > don't think I could attempt to write in another
              > > > writer's style - I haven't even figured out what my
              > > > style is!
              > > >
              > > > Mike B

              > > > The New Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo.
              > > > http://search.yahoo.com
              > >
              > > I think the difficulty is in writing original stuff in another
              > style
              > > without it becoming pastiche or parody.
              > >
              > > Membi: Were you actually looking for stories of the pastiche type
              > > when you threw down the waldo and challenged us? In other words,
              > were
              > > you looking for a writer to resurrect a plot and/or characters
              > > already used by the chosen author and tell a new tale?
              > >
              > > For example, I could set a Draco Tavern story in a cider house in
              > > Southernmost England. This, depending on the way it was done
              would
              > > either be a parody (poking fun) of Larry Niven's stuff or a
              > pastiche
              > > (homage). A Cornish Pastiche, as it were.
              > >
              > > Anyway, I have an idea for a new writing competition after this
              one
              > > winds down that I will share with you later. You can take the
              idea
              > > and fix it up into something workable.
              > >
              > > Steve.
              >
              > Dear Steve,
              > It's just meant to be fun!Nothing more than that.If you don't want
              > do it fine BUT I will be disappointed as I'm sure many of this
              group
              > could do as well if not better than some SF authors.I chose a
              writing
              > comp to give those who feel Intimidated or left out of my art
              > competitions a chance to JOIN IN.
              >
              > I just set the rules I did to make it easier for US to judge when
              the
              > time comes.I also made it an intro chapter(and I did't set a limit
              of
              > number of words so that people would be writing to number rather
              than
              > content)as it wouldn't require too much depth of character and
              would
              > just be setting the scene.
              >
              > If you want to do a parody fine,a pastiche again fine or a serious
              > attempt that's fine also.It's entirely up to the individual. I
              won't
              > be the only judge as I will be setting up a poll so all may cast a
              > vote.
              > So whomever enters the Comp try to enjoy it.It's not supposed to be
              > high literature after all unless YOU want it to be.All you need is
              > love of SF and some imagination
              >
              > Love,
              > Membi_99

              Where on Sapn did you get the idea I didn't want to get involved? I
              just wanted to make sure I was clear on the concept you had in mind
              when you set the challenge. I am interested enough to have an idea to
              run by you on a follow-up competition, as I said.

              My first cut at this has had to be abandoned due to unforseen
              circumstances. In our sister club I submitted a lighthearted entry to
              the art contest, and began a bantering exchange with the unwitting
              but far from witless viglizzo. Briefly the idea was to tell the tale
              of the artwork being carelessly damaged by a moderator who was only
              too aware of the real value of the work in question to the point it
              couldn't be recognized, replacing the digital picture with a
              representative one at each stage and culminating with the
              transformation of the artwork into something entirely more acceptable
              to the judging panel. The postings between Viglizzo and T.G. Le Steve
              (the artiste responsible) would then have been taken and subjected to
              the cut-and-fold process used by William Burroughs (The Wild Boys,
              The Naked Lunch, The Ticket That Exploded et al) in order to arrive
              at a story that fitted the parameters of the challenge.

              As I say I was not up to the greater challenge of keeping this
              project - which I now recognise was overly amitious - on track, so I
              am now planning a different approach. Still wedded to the same
              experimental era of SF though.

              "Clarke or Asimov" indeed! *smiles*

              Steve.
            • membi_99
              Message 6 of 8 , May 2, 2003
                <ss1400@y...> wrote:
> [...]
                > too aware of the real value of the work in question to the point it
                > couldn't be recognized, replacing the digital picture with a
                > representative one at each stage and culminating with the
                > transformation of the artwork into something entirely more
                acceptable
                > to the judging panel. The postings between Viglizzo and T.G. Le
                Steve
                > (the artiste responsible) would then have been taken and subjected
                > the cut-and-fold process used by William Burroughs (The Wild Boys,
                > The Naked Lunch, The Ticket That Exploded et al) in order to arrive
                > at a story that fitted the parameters of the challenge.
                >
                > As I say I was not up to the greater challenge of keeping this
                > project - which I now recognise was overly amitious - on track, so
                > am now planning a different approach. Still wedded to the same

                Sorry Steve if you got the impression that I was aiming the 'if you
                don't want to do it' at you.I was actually talking in general about
                everyone in the group and aiming the info at everyone.Sorry if you
                got upset.:-(

                Membi_99.
              • Steve Something
                Message 7 of 8 , May 2, 2003
                  <cytherean1@n...> wrote:
> [...]
                  subjected
                  > > the cut-and-fold process used by William Burroughs (The Wild
                  Boys,
                  > > The Naked Lunch, The Ticket That Exploded et al) in order to
                  arrive
                  > > at a story that fitted the parameters of the challenge.
                  > >
                  > > As I say I was not up to the greater challenge of keeping this
                  > > project - which I now recognise was overly amitious - on track,
                  so
                  > > am now planning a different approach. Still wedded to the same
                  > > experimental era of SF though.
                  > >
                  > > "Clarke or Asimov" indeed! *smiles*
                  > >
                  > > Steve.
                  >
                  > Sorry Steve if you got the impression that I was aiming the 'if you
                  > don't want to do it' at you.I was actually talking in general about
                  > everyone in the group and aiming the info at everyone.Sorry if you

                  Not upset at all. Tone not carrying well in print, obviously. Will
                  have to watch that in my new novel, soon to be previewed here-ish.

                  I now have to go help set up for a "princess party". What a mixed
                  blessing it is to have a very creative child at birthday time.

                  Have a good weekend everyone. I will see you all when its over.

                  Steve.
                • Ignacio Viglizzo
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 4, 2003
                    Now we need to see the photos, Daddy! :-D

                    --- Steve Something <ss1400@...> wrote:
                    > I now have to go help set up for a "princess party". What a mixed
                    > blessing it is to have a very creative child at birthday time.
                    >
                    > Have a good weekend everyone. I will see you all when its over.
                    >
                    > Steve.

                    =====
                    Ignacio

                    http://search.yahoo.com