Re: Quiz..../The Doctor

  • dominic_lopez
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 3, 2003
      --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "buxh42a
      <buxh42a@y...>" <buxh42a@y...> wrote:
      Someone else said Dr. Who went downhill after Hartnell left.
      > To me it went downhill after Davidson left.

      It usually goes downhill after whichever Doctor you started with
      leaves.
    • buxh42a <buxh42a@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 3, 2003
        --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, dominic_lopez
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "buxh42a
        > <buxh42a@y...>" <buxh42a@y...> wrote:
        > Someone else said Dr. Who went downhill after Hartnell left.
        > > To me it went downhill after Davidson left.
        >
        > It usually goes downhill after whichever Doctor you started with
        > leaves.

        Like many in the US, I started watching the Tom Baker episodes and
        during his last season or two the quality was slipping, but Peter
        Davidson injected some new vigor into the series. I do like alot of
        the episodes prior to the Tom Baker years. Each Doctor had great
        episodes, including Colin Baker and Sylvestor McCoy, but generally
        the quality of the McCoy years left me wanting. "Happiness Patrol"
        and "Paradise Towers" were outright silly and "Ghost Light" was very
        confusing. However, the chemistry between Ace character and McCoy
        was very good.

        Sam
      • dominic_lopez
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 3, 2003
          --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "buxh42a <
          Each Doctor had great
          > episodes, including Colin Baker and Sylvestor McCoy, but
          generally
          > the quality of the McCoy years left me wanting. "Happiness
          Patrol"
          > and "Paradise Towers" were outright silly and "Ghost Light"
          was very
          > confusing. However, the chemistry between Ace character and
          McCoy
          > was very good.
          >
          > Sam

          The first time I saw Mccoy I thought the producer's had lost their
          minds. But eventually I grew to like him. I think he and Ace may
          be the best Doctor / companion pair. as an American, Baker was
          my first too and ultimately my favorite but I don't think his
          relationship with any of his companions was quite as close as
          Mccoy and Ace.

          Have you heard any of the new audio adventures with Paul
          McGann?
        • buxh42a <buxh42a@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 4, 2003
            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "buxh42a <
            > The first time I saw Mccoy I thought the producer's had lost their
            > minds. But eventually I grew to like him. I think he and Ace may
            > be the best Doctor / companion pair. as an American, Baker was
            > my first too and ultimately my favorite but I don't think his
            > relationship with any of his companions was quite as close as
            > Mccoy and Ace.
            >
            > Have you heard any of the new audio adventures with Paul
            > McGann?

            True, his best companion was his first, Sarah. Later when they
            matched him up with Romana it did elicit a few laughs because the
            Doctor finally had a companion just as smart as he was and could
            easily tell when the Doctor was telling a few white-lies. I didn't
            like the Adric companion for the same reason I never like Wesley on
            STNG. Nobody likes a smart-ass little kid who goes around fixing
            things and making everyone look dumb.

            No, I haven't heard or read any of the new Dr. Who adventures. I've
            read maybe 2 or 3 Dr. Who books in all. I try to limit my sci-fi
            reading of books based on TV series or movies to a minimum because I
            feel that I'll have many preconceptions before reading them. And
            usually in the Start Trek/Star Wars type serial books there's not
            much depth to them. There's lots of weightier, classic sci-fi I
            haven't read yet because they are either still on my 'to-read' pile
            or are hard to find because they are out of print.

            Sam
          • dominic_lopez
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 4, 2003
              --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "buxh42a <
              > No, I haven't heard or read any of the new Dr. Who adventures.
              I've
              > read maybe 2 or 3 Dr. Who books in all. I try to limit my sci-fi
              > reading of books based on TV series or movies to a minimum
              because I
              > feel that I'll have many preconceptions before reading them.

              I've read a few novels. I don't think they are really worth the time.
              The audio adventures, however, are a different situation. They
              are basicly new episodes without the pictures. They use lots of
              the original actors including four of the five living doctors (Tom B.
              doesn't seem to be interested.) And they are really great for
              those who feel that Paul McGann didn't get a propper chance. I
              highly recomend them. They are produced by a outfit called Big
              Finish.
            • Thea_UK
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 6, 2003
                Basically he's had more actors playing him than he is supposed to
                have lives! :-)
              • Steve Something
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 6, 2003
                  --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, wildfire50uk
                  <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                  > > PS Lawsuits? What? When? Where? This *must* have summat to do
                  with
                  > > the similarity betwixt VOTSB and "Alien" but I was not aware it
                  had
                  > > ever come to legal blows.
                  > >
                  > > Brain afire with this news. Answer soonest.
                  > >
                  > > Steve.
                  > -
                  > OMG steve where do i start Van Vogt successfuly
                  > sued the for first time the makers of a film about
                  > the crew of a spaceship that has to fight off
                  > an alien that climbs aboard when they land on mars
                  > the name escapes me at the moment,Star Trek and Aliens
                  > followed over the years plus many others, personally
                  > some of them had very little in common with the
                  > original story but the courts seemed to agree with him
                  > and he`s made a hell of a lot of money off the lawsuits
                  > Wildfire

                  Really? I always assumed this was one of those "internet legends".
                  Can you point me to sources for these reports of legal actions? It
                  raises the question that if it is so easy to gain satisfaction in the
                  courts over such general "plagiarism" of ideas, why hasn't the estate
                  of the late Roger Zelazny sued Broderbrund, Cyan and the Miller
                  brothers over the clear infringement of key ideas expounded in <I>The
                  Amber Chronicles</i> (yes , I know that isn't the original title)
                  posed by the whole <i>Myst</i> ouvre? I am even more interested in
                  getting to the bottom of this now, for a variety of reasons not
                  germane here. I would be grateful for any info you have. We can do
                  this off-list if you think that would be better.

                  May your budding be painless and uncursed by the traditional
                  celebratory Atonal Nose-Bagpiping currently in vogue with the
                  fundamentalist back-to-Sapnic-roots crowd, my brotherling.

                  Setve
                • Ignacio Viglizzo
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 9, 2003
                    It's the first time anyone calls me smart anything!! THANKS!
                    (Yay, I'm smart AND funny! ;-)
                    --- wildfire50uk <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                    > Oh and for Iggers Pop Steve Strange
                    > bloody nothing for being smartasses