[SFC] Re: THE FAR SIDE OF THE SKY

  • dominic_lopez
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 28, 2003
      --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, Ignacio Viglizzo
      <viglizzo@y...> wrote:
      > I banned _that_ e-mail address from the group, but you know how
      easy is to get
      > an e-mail address. These people joins, spams and then dissapear. The
      > alternative would be to restrict the membership to the group. That
      way, one
      > would have to apply and wait for one of the moderator's approval.
      But still
      > there would be no easy way to tell when an applicant is a spammer :P

      I had this problem in my Doc Savage group and restricted membership
      to deal with it. It seems to have worked pretty well. In my case you
      could tell the spammers because the accounts were yahoo, no profile
      info at all, and the username was clearly just random letters. I also
      put an explanation and warning in the club description saying that
      without some minimum info in your profile you won't be approved.