Re: Introducing myself

  • wildfire50uk
    Message 1 of 35 , Feb 1, 2003
      Hi DerHexer welcome its a bit slow in the group at the moment so if
      you want jump in and tell us your favourite books or what your
      reading at the moment or maybe recommend something (im always looking
      out for new authors and books) ...any hoo welcome ...
      Wildfire(malcolm)
      -
      --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, DerHexer@a... wrote:
      > Hello, I just joined. Sounds like an exciting group.
      >
      > I just realized that I've been reading science fiction for 50
      years. I can
      > date that accurately because it was 50 years ago, when I was 7,
      that we moved
      > to a house two doors down from the town library. I walked down and
      picked up
      > a copy of Chad Oliver's Mists of Dawn.
      >
      > Since then, I've read a huge amount of SF - Hamilton, Heinlein,
      Asimov,
      > Campbell, Blish, Sturgeon, Clarke, Brown, Sheckley, Wells, Doyle,
      > Verne....... Give me a list of hard SF authors, and I could
      probably say
      > I've read at least one of their works.
      >
      > I prefer hard SF as opposed to fantasy. I like good characters,
      good plots,
      > suspense, and plausible science and settings. The characters have
      to have a
      > problem to solve or a struggle to win.

    • Stephen Goldin
      Message 35 of 35 , Sep 21, 2009
        The world of publishing is collapsing in on itself. More and more it's
        following the route of business in general in the US--only bet on sure
        things. One of the ugliest phrases in business is "bottom line."
        Long-term investment is six-months...a year at most. Congress can't
        think beyond the next election

        Polly! cover <http://parsina.com/polly.html>I'll use my latest book,
        Polly! <http://parsina.com/polly,html>, as an example. Nobody wanted it.
        (I hear the cynics saying, "Well gee, maybe it's a bad book." I scoff at
        such ludicrous suggestions. Scoff, do you hear! Spider Robinson enjoyed
        it and gave me a nice blurb.) It's short, technically a novella by
        Nebula Award standards. But so was Jerzy Kozinsky's /Being There/ of
        several decades ago, and that was published as a book. It's a satirical
        fantasy that doesn't fit into any standard marketing niche. I had one
        editor tell me frankly that she didn't know how she'd market it. My
        agent at the time didn't want to handle it because he said no publisher
        would be interested in something that didn't fit into a clear category.
        Other agents told me the same thing--and publishers these days don't
        want to bother with unagented mss, even from established writers.

        (I think I'm a competent writer. 30+ published titles should be some
        indication, even if I've never had a bestseller. My accumulated
        experience tells me /Polly!/ is a good book.)

        I finally found a small press, Midnight Showcase Fiction, who has
        confidence in it. They also reprinted the other titles I mentioned;
        "real" publishers don't want to bother with old midlist titles by
        non-bestselling authors. "Bottom line" again. But MSF is a shoestring
        operation that has absolutely zero budget for promotion. So if I want
        anyone to read the book (and I sorta do), I have to flog it myself.

        Frankly, I think the best use of a writer's time is to write. I've
        restarted work on a new Jade Darcy book, and I'd rather be working on
        that. But I believe in /Polly!,/ too, and I'd like people to meet her.
        So...here I am. I hope you'll give her a try.

        </diatribe>

        --

        Stephen Goldin <http://stephengoldin.com/>

        Have you met Polly! <http://www.parsina.com/polly.html> yet?