Re: [SFC] Introducing myself

  • Pete Young
    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 31, 2003
      on 31/1/2003 17:41, DerHexer@... wrote:

      > I just realized that I've been reading science fiction for 50 years. I can
      > date that accurately because it was 50 years ago, when I was 7, that we moved
      > to a house two doors down from the town library. I walked down and picked up
      > a copy of Chad Oliver's Mists of Dawn.

      Hi DerHexer, and welcome to the list! Now, Chad Oliver: there's a name from
      the past. Just last week I found a Ballantine first edition of his 1960 book
      'Unearthly Neighbors' and read it in one sitting. I was rather impressed and
      I'd like to look out for more of his work, but he seems to have been sadly
      forgotten, if his entry in the Nicholls/Clute 'Encyclopedia of SF' is
      anything to go by.

      > I prefer hard SF as opposed to fantasy. I like good characters, good plots,
      > suspense, and plausible science and settings. The characters have to have a
      > problem to solve or a struggle to win.

      probably find a comfortable niche there as a well-read list member!

      Pete
    • Stephen Goldin
      Message 35 of 35 , Sep 21, 2009
        The world of publishing is collapsing in on itself. More and more it's
        following the route of business in general in the US--only bet on sure
        things. One of the ugliest phrases in business is "bottom line."
        Long-term investment is six-months...a year at most. Congress can't
        think beyond the next election

        Polly! cover <http://parsina.com/polly.html>I'll use my latest book,
        Polly! <http://parsina.com/polly,html>, as an example. Nobody wanted it.
        (I hear the cynics saying, "Well gee, maybe it's a bad book." I scoff at
        such ludicrous suggestions. Scoff, do you hear! Spider Robinson enjoyed
        it and gave me a nice blurb.) It's short, technically a novella by
        Nebula Award standards. But so was Jerzy Kozinsky's /Being There/ of
        several decades ago, and that was published as a book. It's a satirical
        fantasy that doesn't fit into any standard marketing niche. I had one
        editor tell me frankly that she didn't know how she'd market it. My
        agent at the time didn't want to handle it because he said no publisher
        would be interested in something that didn't fit into a clear category.
        Other agents told me the same thing--and publishers these days don't
        want to bother with unagented mss, even from established writers.

        (I think I'm a competent writer. 30+ published titles should be some
        indication, even if I've never had a bestseller. My accumulated
        experience tells me /Polly!/ is a good book.)

        I finally found a small press, Midnight Showcase Fiction, who has
        confidence in it. They also reprinted the other titles I mentioned;
        "real" publishers don't want to bother with old midlist titles by
        non-bestselling authors. "Bottom line" again. But MSF is a shoestring
        operation that has absolutely zero budget for promotion. So if I want
        anyone to read the book (and I sorta do), I have to flog it myself.

        Frankly, I think the best use of a writer's time is to write. I've
        restarted work on a new Jade Darcy book, and I'd rather be working on
        that. But I believe in /Polly!,/ too, and I'd like people to meet her.
        So...here I am. I hope you'll give her a try.

        </diatribe>

        --

        Stephen Goldin <http://stephengoldin.com/>

        Have you met Polly! <http://www.parsina.com/polly.html> yet?