RE Art Comp.

  • membi_99 <notanotheralias@lycos.co.uk>
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 10, 2002
      I have just got the horrid thought that some of you may trying to
      produce a worst bookcover.I was actually hoping that everyone was
      going to try and do better than some of the entries for the worst
      bookcover comp and even better than the SIASL bookcover website
      Ignacio found and posted here.After some of the comments about how
      bad they were I was hoping you were going to show us how it should be
      done.
      Please try to do your best.

      Membi_99.
    • Steve <druss921@yahoo.co.uk>
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 10, 2002
        --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "membi_99
        <notanotheralias@l...>" <notanotheralias@l...> wrote:
        > I have just got the horrid thought that some of you may trying to
        > produce a worst bookcover.I was actually hoping that everyone was
        > going to try and do better than some of the entries for the worst
        > bookcover comp and even better than the SIASL bookcover website
        > Ignacio found and posted here.After some of the comments about how
        > bad they were I was hoping you were going to show us how it should
        be
        > done.
        > Please try to do your best.
        >
        > Membi_99.

        I wasn't trying to do a worst book cover, that's just how it came out.

        I thought it was just a bit of fun.

        Steve
      • Steve <druss921@yahoo.co.uk>
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 11, 2002
          --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "Steve
          <druss921@y...>" <druss921@y...> wrote:
          > --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, "membi_99
          > <notanotheralias@l...>" <notanotheralias@l...> wrote:
          > > I have just got the horrid thought that some of you may trying to
          > > produce a worst bookcover.I was actually hoping that everyone was
          > > going to try and do better than some of the entries for the worst
          > > bookcover comp and even better than the SIASL bookcover website
          > > Ignacio found and posted here.After some of the comments about
          how
          > > bad they were I was hoping you were going to show us how it
          should
          > be
          > > done.
          > > Please try to do your best.
          > >
          > > Membi_99.

          I can see why you may think that from the comment on my pic. That was
          self deprecating, tho' I know now what people think of my efforts, ;-)

          Steve
        • tony
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 14, 2002
            Well here goes,I am taking this competition as a signal to come out of
            lurking,briefly I might add,as it coincides with recent portrait which I
            include in my cover!
            I live in france,away from book shops and libraries,so have to get books
            from friends or by the internet,I find this group a great source of books
            to read,so thanks.
            Recently I have found Neal Asher's' The Skinner',his second book, full of
            exciting ideas,also 'Spares' by Michael Marshall Smith which I found
            disturbing,but not to unlikely when I look at the Chinese penal system!
            Peter Hamilton's'Night's Dawn Trilogy' is,in my opinion, too short,but I
            suppose he could not keep up that pace for ever!
            regards,Tony.
          • jennifermacaire <jjsasmacaire@wanadoo.fr>
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 14, 2002
              > I live in france,away from book shops and libraries,so have to get
              books
              > from friends

              Hi! I live in France too! It is a pain getting books here -
              everything costs too much.
              I get a lot of e-books - it's easier on my budget and they don't take
              up any space!

              Jennifer
            • tony
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 15, 2002
                At 18:06 14/12/02 -0000, you wrote:

                >Hi! I live in France too! It is a pain getting books here -
                >everything costs too much.
                >I get a lot of e-books - it's easier on my budget and they don't take
                >up any space!

                Hello Jennifer,which part of the happy hexagon do you live in?I am in the
                Charente,where it is unusually wet!
                Fortunately not like down south!
                regards,Tony
              • Pete Young
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 15, 2002
                  on 14/12/2002 05:47 pm, tony wrote:

                  > Recently I have found Neal Asher's' The Skinner',his second book, full of
                  > exciting ideas,

                  FYI, Neal Asher has several earlier books...

                  From his self-penned profile at Infinity Plus (written in 2001):
                  (http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/misc/na.htm) "As to larger works: my most
                  notable success has been the publication of my novellas 'Mindgames: Fool's
                  Mate' by Gordon McGregor's Club 199 [small press, 1992], and 'The Parasite'
                  [1996, illustrated] and 'The Engineer' by Tanjen. I have also had my SF
                  novella 'Africa Zero' serialized in 'Threads', and a short story collection
                  called 'Runcible Tales' published by Piper's Ash.

                  I have just completed a sequel to 'Africa Zero' called 'The Army of God',
                  have completed the first book of another fantasy trilogy, 'Creatures of the
                  Staff', first book of The Infinite Willows, and am looking for a publisher
                  of my contemporary novel 'Frog Wine'. In one deviation from my usual writing
                  practice, I have written a script for a three-part TV series called Trines,
                  which is an amalgam of the strange and the contemporary, and a one hour
                  drama called The Executioner's Lie. Other than these, I am still churning
                  out stories both long and short. But the best news to date is that Pan
                  Macmillan have published 'Gridlinked', (available in all good book shops),
                  are to publish 'The Skinner' next year, and 'The Line of Polity' the year
                  after that. Watch this space."

                  Pete
                • magellia branti
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 15, 2002
                    I cant find this guys stuff anywhere in the usa. I'm
                    screwed.

                    --- Pete Young <pete-young@...> wrote:
                    > on 14/12/2002 05:47 pm, tony wrote:
                    >
                    > > Recently I have found Neal Asher's' The
                    > Skinner',his second book, full of
                    > > exciting ideas,
                    >
                    > FYI, Neal Asher has several earlier books...
                    >
                    > From his self-penned profile at Infinity Plus
                    > (written in 2001):
                    > (http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/misc/na.htm) "As to
                    > larger works: my most
                    > notable success has been the publication of my
                    > novellas 'Mindgames: Fool's
                    > Mate' by Gordon McGregor's Club 199 [small press,
                    > 1992], and 'The Parasite'
                    > [1996, illustrated] and 'The Engineer' by Tanjen. I
                    > have also had my SF
                    > novella 'Africa Zero' serialized in 'Threads', and a
                    > short story collection
                    > called 'Runcible Tales' published by Piper's Ash.
                    >
                    > I have just completed a sequel to 'Africa Zero'
                    > called 'The Army of God',
                    > have completed the first book of another fantasy
                    > trilogy, 'Creatures of the
                    > Staff', first book of The Infinite Willows, and am
                    > looking for a publisher
                    > of my contemporary novel 'Frog Wine'. In one
                    > deviation from my usual writing
                    > practice, I have written a script for a three-part
                    > TV series called Trines,
                    > which is an amalgam of the strange and the
                    > contemporary, and a one hour
                    > drama called The Executioner's Lie. Other than
                    > these, I am still churning
                    > out stories both long and short. But the best news
                    > to date is that Pan
                    > Macmillan have published 'Gridlinked', (available in
                    > all good book shops),
                    > are to publish 'The Skinner' next year, and 'The
                    > Line of Polity' the year
                    > after that. Watch this space."
                    >
                    > Pete

                    =====
                    http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                  • Ignacio Viglizzo
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 15, 2002
                      Oh. Pete you posted this _everywhere but here? TSK!
                      Thanks!

                      > Pete Young wrote:
                      > > Check this out... it's pretty funny.
                      > >
                      > > http://gning.org/skiffy.html

                      =====
                      . Ignacio

                      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                    • Pete Young
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 15, 2002
                        on 15/12/2002 08:16 pm, Ignacio Viglizzo wrote:

                        > Oh. Pete you posted this _everywhere but here? TSK!
                        > Thanks!

                        I honestly didn't think it would be so popular! It's at
                        http://gning.org/skiffy.html, and I'd better now post it to several other
                        lists so everyone else can join in before more moderators get the hump and
                        boot me off their lists. ;-)

                        I've also just discovered an even funnier (off-topic) questionnaire at
                        http://www.whitehouse.org/initiatives/patriot/index.asp.

                        Pete (aka. H.G. Wells)
                      • tony
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 16, 2002
                          Hello,if you go to - www.abebooks.com- and do search for neal asher
                          you will find several US dealers with his books,
                          hope this helps,Tony

                        • Thradar <neal@ulen.com>
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 16, 2002
                            I'm Hal Clement. Funny...I've never read anything by him. Maybe I
                            should. ;)
                            --
                            Neal

                            --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, Pete Young <pete-

                          • Bob Wall <bob_wall@yahoo.com>
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 16, 2002
                              I am:

                              (Drum roll please)

                              H.G. Wells
                              The first major literary talent to make himself at home in the
                              science fiction field, greatly expanding its popularity.

                              Wonder how *he* would have felt about RAH.

                              I would love to see how this quiz determines the answers. Not the
                              code, that wouldn't do me any good. Just a matrix would be cool.

                              Later All,
                              Bob (AKA: Mr. Wells) Wall
                              Well, at least the last name is close.

                              --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, Ignacio Viglizzo

                            • Bill Alleman <billalleman@yahoo.com>
                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 16, 2002
                                Thanks Pete,

                                Both sites are great. The whitehouse one is a real hoot, but
                                there is so much there to see, had to bookmark it.
                                As for the sci fi writer site, I came out as Frank Herbert, my
                                alltime favorite, can't wait to see what SciFi channel does with
                                "Children of Dune" Not sure how they do it, but it is great.

                                Thanks again,
                                Bill