Baxter's Time Ships/ bookcover for Stranger in a Strange Land competition.

  • Ignacio Viglizzo
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
      Membi: thanks again for organizing this, and to the rest: put some spirit to
      it!
      I'm not the artist type of person, but will try something in a different
      direction, maybe...
      On the other hand, most of us here have shown to be (harsh) critics, so we
      could try to have fun posting _reviews_ about some of the covers (I mean the
      _real covers_ for the book, let's try to avoid hurting other member's
      feelings!) or we can talk about the book... do you grok?
      (or should I say do you grok it?)

      I'be been busy :P I should at lest tell you that whenever I read it'a a couple
      of pages of Stephen Baxter's "The Time Ships", a sequel to the Time Machine.
      Great book, IMHO... it deals with time paradoxes (as wells didn't) and... oh,
      well don't want to spoil anything.

      --- membi_99 <notanotheralias@...> wrote:
      > Hurray!!! a result!!! Well done you two.Now I just have to work out
      > which Steve reveres the lash and work from there.
      >
      > Membi_99.
      >

      > --- In sciencefictionclassics@y..., tamburix <tamburix@h...> wrote:
      > > Steve wrote :
      > >
      > > > Just to let you know, so you don't think you are talking to
      > yourself,
      > > > I am giving it a try.
      > >
      > > I would give a try also.
      > > Just finished reading Photoshop Bible, so this would be perfect time
      > > to see what I've learned ... :)
      > >

      > > --
      > >
      > > 'Zakrpljeni Dobos' je ugledna neugledna krcma.Njeni gosti su
      > uzivali neku vrstu sirovog postovanja - caskom su se mogli poubijati,
      > kao ravnopravni, ali to nisu radili iz osvete. Dete bi moglo sa
      > svrati na casu limunade i da bude sigurno da mu se nece desiti nista
      > gore od cuske iza uveta kada mu majka cuje obogaceni recnik.
      > >
      > > ..::aleksandar::..:: www.cocek.cjb.net ::..
      >

      > To unsubscribe:
      >
      > To see the group page:

      =====
      . Ignacio

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • Ignacio Viglizzo
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 10, 2002
        Here's the url for the current entries in this competition... C'mon people,
        have fun! you don't need to be an artist, don't be afraid of make a fool of
        yourself. You may have the winner idea! ;-)
        --- membi_99 <notanotheralias@...> wrote:
        > Now I know there will be those saying to themselves well that lets me
        > off the hook because I can't draw.Well as an art teacher of 28 years
        > I say that EVERYONE can do something.The ability to draw is not as
        > important as you might think.
        >
        > So this competition is open to everyone and I EXPECT the stalwerts of
        > this site to have a go.

        =====
        . Ignacio

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • Pete Young
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 10, 2002
          on 10/12/2002 02:48 pm, Ignacio Viglizzo wrote:

          > Here's the url for the current entries in this competition... C'mon people,
          > have fun! you don't need to be an artist, don't be afraid of make a fool of
          > yourself. You may have the winner idea! ;-)

          At last, after about the tenth attempt to upload my cover to the photos
          section, it's finally there (my computer has difficulty interacting with all
          Yahoo sites these days). I thought I'd go for the graphic approach, and I
          dearly wish I had the time to sit down and draw or paint something as I used
          to do.

          Incidentally, one of my favourite book covers is Tim White's cover for the
          New English Library's edition of 'Stranger In A Strange Land'. And another
          is, again, Tim White's cover for Heinlein's 'Glory Road', a book I now
          regret throwing out all those years ago just because of the beautiful
          cover... one day I hope to stumble upon a copy in perfect condition. Very
          unlikely to read it again though... ;-)

          Pete
        • Ignacio Viglizzo
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 10, 2002
            Awsome, pete! when I get my publishing house going, I'll have you in mind for
            the covers ;-)

            Membi: I'm sorry if my entry lead people to think it was all about getting the
            worst possible one... :(

            Now.. does anybody here remember what the martians in the book looked like? I
            thought they were like ostriches, but I could be confusing them with the
            matioans in "A martian odyssey"??

            --- Pete Young <pete-young@...> wrote:
            > At last, after about the tenth attempt to upload my cover to the photos
            > section, it's finally there (my computer has difficulty interacting with all
            > Yahoo sites these days). I thought I'd go for the graphic approach, and I
            > dearly wish I had the time to sit down and draw or paint something as I used
            > to do.

            =====
            . Ignacio

            http://mailplus.yahoo.com
          • membi_99 <notanotheralias@lycos.co.uk>
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 14, 2002
              Just to bring to your attention the closing date is TOMORROW so have
              your entries posted by midnight GMT.(though I will probably miss some
              late entries due to me being in bed and not knowing it's a late
              entry)hint,hint.

              *Just don't push it as my time during this season is finite and I
              will probably find myself filling in for staff who can't cope with
              the last week of the term due to anticipation of seasonal frivolity
              on behalf of the more brain dead students.I so hate the last day of
              term before Christmas myself as it is ALWAYS a complete waste of
              time.*
              So I will post the poll as and when I can find the time to do it and
              HOPEFULLY in the next two/three days.

              5.The judging will be by poll and everyone will have a vote.

              6.The winner/s will get a certificate as this club(and I) are
              strapped for cash.

              Membi_99