Martians land in Grover's Mill, N.J. (1938)

  • spider38ss
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2002
      From SciFri;

      Orson Welles' broadcast of the faux invasion terrified thousands when
      his radio verité style of reporting recorded "actual" events and
      destruction as they were happening, with no disclaimers until the
      very end of the broadcast.

      One of our local radio stations replayed this piece last night,and I
      caught bits and pieces. I
      hadn't listened to it for a long time.(I used to have an "LP" of this
      broadcast!) I wonder what it would take to re-create the controversy
      caused by this broadcast in today's information age. Its hard to
      imagine something like this happening now.
      Spider
    • dominic_lopez
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 31, 2002
        --- In sciencefictionclassics@y..., spider38ss <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > From SciFri;
        >
        > Orson Welles' broadcast of the faux invasion terrified thousands
        when
        > his radio verité style of reporting recorded "actual" events and
        > destruction as they were happening, with no disclaimers until the
        > very end of the broadcast.

        Actually, they did anounce at the begining that it was the Mercury
        Theater of the Air production of War of the Worlds, but some people
        missed the opening.