Jack McDevitt ??

  • wildfire50uk
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 30 9:47 PM
      Im in the middle of The Engines Of God
      and im likeing it well enough but ive
      notice a puzzling thing about his books.
      In Deepsix we had an archeological team
      racing against time to recover artifacts
      from a world thats about to be destroyed,
      and in Engines we have an archeological
      team racing against time to recover artifacts
      from a world thats about to be destroyed.
      does this guy only know one plot,because
      too have one book with this theme isnt a
      problem ..but two come on Jack try a bit
      harder mate ..
      Wildfire
    • membi_99
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 31 6:09 AM
        --- In sciencefictionclassics@y..., wildfire50uk <no_reply@y...>
        wrote:
        > Im in the middle of The Engines Of God
        > and im likeing it well enough but ive
        > notice a puzzling thing about his books.
        > In Deepsix we had an archeological team
        > racing against time to recover artifacts
        > from a world thats about to be destroyed,
        > and in Engines we have an archeological
        > team racing against time to recover artifacts
        > from a world thats about to be destroyed.
        > does this guy only know one plot,because
        > too have one book with this theme isnt a
        > problem ..but two come on Jack try a bit
        > harder mate ..
        > Wildfire

        I've just read his Infinity Beach which had a completely different
        plot,mainly along the lines of our planet looking for extraterrestial
        life and almost not finding it,only to find it whilst cocking every
        thing up over first contact.A very enjoyable read it was too.

        Membi_99.
      • Mark E. Hall
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2002
          Well, despite the stereotypes Hollywood gives you, in real life most
          archaeologists are workign to finish an excavation that will be
          destroyed by construction (and most construction crews and project
          financers really don't care). So I think it is a very good analogy.

          Best, Mark Hall
          (who happens to be a curator in the Archaeology Dept., Niigata
          Prefectural Museum)