Clarke Laments Space Progress

  • spider38ss
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2002
      From SciFi Wire and Space.com

      Legendary SF author Arthur C. Clarke lamented the lack of progress in
      planetary exploration in a telephone address from his Sri Lanka home
      to an audience at Rice University in Houston, the Associated Press
      reported. Clarke's remarks were part of a 40th-anniversary
      commemoration of the speech in which President John F. Kennedy set
      forth his goal of landing on the moon, the AP reported. "We're lucky
      to get to Mars in 2020," he said.

      Clarke added, "The end of the Cold War removed one of the main
      motivations for the space race. We've reached the stage where not one
      nation, not even the United States, can do it alone. [Space
      exploration] should be a global enterprise."

      http://www.space.com/news/ap_clarke_020925.html

      Spider