Re: MY Favourite authors and their books

  • grape2061
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 7, 2002
      --- In sciencefictionclassics@y..., "membi_99"
      <theonlyincognitas@n...> wrote:

      I felt bad that Heinlein wasn't on the top ten,
      > because I do read a fair amount of his work, but
      they're not my
      > favorites. If there was an "eleven" that would push
      on to
      > the list,
      > it would probably be his, "The Moon is a Harsh
      Mistress".
      > Spider

      Traitor!!!
      Membi_99.

      Gee, this place feels like home again. :)) Hi Malcolm!

      Grovetta
    • spider38ss
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 7, 2002
        --- In sciencefictionclassics@y..., grape2061 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > --- In sciencefictionclassics@y..., "membi_99"
        > <theonlyincognitas@n...> wrote:
        >

        > I felt bad that Heinlein wasn't on the top ten,
        > > because I do read a fair amount of his work, but
        > they're not my
        > > favorites. If there was an "eleven" that would
        push
        > on to
        > > the list,
        > > it would probably be his, "The Moon is a Harsh
        > Mistress".
        > > Spider
        >
        > Traitor!!!
        > Membi_99.
        >
        > Gee, this place feels like home again. :)) Hi Malcolm!

        > Grovetta

        Well if it feels like home Grovetta, then make yourself comfortable
        and stick around for a while! :)
        Spider
      • Ignacio Viglizzo
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 9, 2002
          I don't have a top ten list for books or authors...
          From the top of my mind,

          Dick,
          Clarke
          Butler,
          Card
          LeGuin
          Egan
          Baxter

          That's 7... close enough.

          A book by each of them?
          Martian Timeslip
          Rendezvous with Rama
          Wild Seed
          Songmaster
          The tombs of Atuan
          Permutation City
          Manifold:time

          ..and then I start asking myself: where's Snow Crash, Timescape? Connie
          Willis... that's why I don't try to do the list. I'd be never satisfied.

          There are some books you mentioned I'll have to read:
          > From: wildfire50uk
          > Subject: MY Favourite authors and their books
          > no6...Poul Anderson..A Knight Of Ghosts And Shadows
          > no7...EE(DOC)Smith...The Skylark Of Space....
          > no10..Robert A Heinlein..Double Star.
          > From: Al <agri4042@...>
          > Bruce Sterling, SCHISMATRIX
          > Iain M. Banks, THE PLAYER OF GAMES
          > Michael Moorcock, A NOMAD OF THE TIME STREAM
          > Haruki Murakami, HARDBOILED WONDERLAND AND THE END OF THE WORLD
          > Philip K. Dick, TIME OUT OF JOINT
          > From: spider38ss
          > 1. The Warlord of the Air---Michael Moorcock
          > 4. 1984�Eric Blair (hee-hee)
          > 6. Downbelow Station�C J Cherryh
          > 8. Sirius�Olaf Stapledon
          http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
        • Ignacio Viglizzo
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 9, 2002
            More:
            > There are some books you mentioned I'll have to read:
            From Mike B.
            Robert Heinlein - Time Enough for Love
            Philip Jose Farmer - World of Tiers
            Roger Zelazny - Amber series (original one)
            Piers Anthony - Mute
            Anne McCaffery - the original Dragonrider series
            Samuel Delaney - Dahlgren
            -------------------
            I haven't read any of these! But I already own the Amber series and the
            Heinlein one...

            =====
            Ignacio

            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 9, 2002
              Too bad we had to play the Heinlein card again... (sigh)

              Has anyone here read "The probability Broach"? Reputedly the best Heinlein
              novel not written by Heinlein. I know someone who thinks it's the best sf
              novel... of course, he's a libertarian ;-)

              --- grape2061 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
              > > it would probably be his, "The Moon is a Harsh
              > Mistress".
              > > Spider
              >
              > Traitor!!!
              > Membi_99.
              >
              > Gee, this place feels like home again. :)) Hi Malcolm!
              >
              > Grovetta

              =====
              Ignacio

              http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
            • wildfire50uk
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 9, 2002
                --- In sciencefictionclassics@y..., Ignacio Viglizzo <viglizzo@y...>
                wrote:
                > Too bad we had to play the Heinlein card again... (sigh)
                >
                > Has anyone here read "The probability Broach"? Reputedly the best
                Heinlein
                > novel not written by Heinlein. I know someone who thinks it's the
                best sf
                > novel... of course, he's a libertarian ;-)
                -
                Thats writen by L.Neil smith right has a sequel
                called *The Venus Belt*,,their very good books lots
                of fun.
                really liked Featherstone-Haugh head of the
                Confederacy....400 pound gorilla...:)

                anyway being British Libertarianism isnt
                something ive come across though i do understand
                the concept.
                *The Probabilty Broach* is definately in the same
                arena as a lot of Heinleins books..but is writen
                with a lot of humour
                Basically a cop from an alternate world similar
                to ours but in a worse way is transported to an
                alternate one where the revolution against taxes
                was a true one...they didnt want to pay no tolls
                (sorry Convoy just went through my head...lol)
                and well has adventures...:)
                there was also another bookthat followed called
                *Tom Paine Maru* ok but not as good
                Wildfire(malcolm)
              • mjbphotos
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 9, 2002
                  From: Ignacio Viglizzo
                  Subject: Re: Re: MY Favourite authors and their books

                  More:
                  > There are some books you mentioned I'll have to read:
                  From Mike B.