ANGELA CARTER!@!!@!!! Incredible////INFERNAL DESIRE MACHINES OF dR. HOFFMAN

  • bonniac
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2002
      It seems some editor thought War of Dreams is a better title for the
      Americas than The
      INFERNAL DESIRE MACHINES OF DOCTOR HOFFMAN which is the UK
      title...stupid editor!! My copy says "WAR OF DREAMS" but I am
      choosing to ignore it. bleaaa..

      I can't say enough about this great book. I could fill up a book
      bubbling over this thing, but I will pull my horses to make these
      simple hopefully coherent snorts.
      It's such a treat each sentance and every word. I rolled it over in
      my brain before digesting it. Let's say Shelly, Vance, Lautremont and
      Doyle wrote the Holy Mountain movie scriptryptich to that effect
      might come near where this book is.
      Dr. Hoffman (like Albert Hoffman, who discovered LSD ?) has been
      altering shadows and later full blown reality with his war on 'the
      City'. He has turned what we know upsidown with his bizarre
      subconscious manifestations of rape and death. Reality police take
      people into custody to check if they pass for real. If it burns it's
      real!! The orgasm releases erotic energy that can stop clocks.
      Everyone is employing the subconscious to realize warped versions of
      reality with the help of Dr. Hoffman's science.
      I dont really get a sense of a time period until a radio is mentioned
      or later on, helicopters. The science is not developed in here except
      in a strange passing intresting creation, reminding me of Poe or
      Shelly, but the characters are the main menu on this wonderful book.
      Protagonist Desiderio goes from hunting Dr. Hoffman with his boss the
      important 'Minister' via clues, this madness must be stopped by any
      means. Later he is just trying to stay alive and out of jail with a
      mish mash of the wierd: The River People who paint their faces and
      have dead fish as dolls with their primordial verbal history. The
      Erotic Traveler who perverts the flesh using nature as an inspiration
      at his side; the syphillic faced Lafluer. The Acrobats of Desire who
      juggle their own limbs. Greek god centaurs whose well explained
      developed religion involves bowel movement (everyone can make the
      sign of god). Animal, root and meat faced prostitutes. It goes on.
      Angela Carter had a direct tap on the English language and her
      creative squirmbrain (unfortunately she's dead now) with this morsel
      and she really went nuts with it. It rallies the thoughts in
      directions I never thought possible with the endless aquisitions of
      more and more dementia as plot/anti-reality developement.
      This hidden gem of a book deep in dead trees I had never heard of. A
      friend picked it up
      randomly, read it, and then she threatened me with jagged eye slicing
      fish gills over my nose, and abstract geometric curse words until I
      read it. Glad I was easily threatened like this!!! I really owe my
      gill assassin some homage. Thank you Sharkface!
      A great follow up to my Jeter read "INFERNAL DEVICES". This one
      really is a masterpiece in a 101 word orgasms.

      PSCRIPT: I am attempting to post some pictures on this club of the
      first onshore oil drilling rig as entertainment 'band'. There are
      only cranes, scummers and 'kirbycoins' peopling/working on
      this 'rig'. It is a fright to hear and see. This is from a show in
      Chicago and Detroit. Under the title SCUMMERAI. Hope you enjoy the
      pics.
    • dfordoom
      Message 2 of 3 , May 3, 2002
        --- In sciencefictionclassics@y..., bonniac <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > It seems some editor thought War of Dreams is a better title for
        the
        > Americas than The
        > INFERNAL DESIRE MACHINES OF DOCTOR HOFFMAN which is the UK
        > title...stupid editor!! My copy says "WAR OF DREAMS" but I am
        > choosing to ignore it. bleaaa..
        >
        > I can't say enough about this great book. I could fill up a book

        Angela Carter was one of the finest writers of the 20th century. Her
        stuff defies classification - there's elements of SF, fantasy,
        horror, fairy tale and myth, sometimes all at the same time. THE
        INFERNAL DESIRE MACHINES OF DOCTOR HOFFMAN is my all-time favourite
        novel, in any genre.

        If you haven't read any of her other books you're in for a succession
        of treats. THE PASSION OF NEW EVE is probably her most neglected
        novel, and probably the closest in feel to INFERNAL DESIRE MACHINES.
        In THE BLOODY CHAMBER (highly recommended) she gives some rather
        nasty twists to fairy tales. THE MAGIC TOYSHOP is more of a
        mainstream novel, and a very very good one.

        Al
      • Pete Young
        Message 3 of 3 , May 4, 2002
          on 4/5/2002 04:28 am, dfordoom wrote:

          > --- In sciencefictionclassics@y..., bonniac <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          >> It seems some editor thought War of Dreams is a better title for
          > the
          >> Americas than The
          >> INFERNAL DESIRE MACHINES OF DOCTOR HOFFMAN which is the UK
          >> title...stupid editor!! My copy says "WAR OF DREAMS" but I am
          >> choosing to ignore it. bleaaa..
          >>
          >> I can't say enough about this great book. I could fill up a book
          >
          > Angela Carter was one of the finest writers of the 20th century. Her
          > stuff defies classification - there's elements of SF, fantasy,
          > horror, fairy tale and myth, sometimes all at the same time. THE
          > INFERNAL DESIRE MACHINES OF DOCTOR HOFFMAN is my all-time favourite
          > novel, in any genre.
          >
          > If you haven't read any of her other books you're in for a succession
          > of treats. THE PASSION OF NEW EVE is probably her most neglected
          > novel, and probably the closest in feel to INFERNAL DESIRE MACHINES.
          > In THE BLOODY CHAMBER (highly recommended) she gives some rather
          > nasty twists to fairy tales. THE MAGIC TOYSHOP is more of a
          > mainstream novel, and a very very good one.

          'LOVE' is excellent, and pretty disturbing.

          Pete