Lots Of Good Books

  • wildfire50uk
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2002
      this is very is avery long list sorry peeps
      =========
      Pos | Title | Type | Author/Editor |
      Score
      =========
      1 A Song of Ice and Fire S George R. Martin
      8.90 (158)
      2 Lord of the Rings J.R.R. Tolkien
      8.90 (1328
      3 Ender's Game S1 Orson Scott Card
      8.67 (1082
      4 The Vorkosigan Series S Lois M. Bujold
      8.64 (135)
      5 Krew Elfow F A. Sapkowski
      8.51 (36)
      6 Roadside Picnic A & B Strugatski
      8.46 (78)
      7 The Discworld Series S Terry Pratchett
      8.44 (150)
      8 Dune. S1 Frank Herbert
      8.41 (1108
      9 The Lions of Al-Rassan Guy G. Kay
      8.36 (120)
      10 Palindor S1 D.R. Evans
      8.35 (30)
      11 Tigana Guy G. Kay
      8.34 (283)
      ^12 The Hyperion Cantos S Dan Simmons
      8.32 (523)
      13 Armor. John Steakley
      8.32 (44)
      14 A Fire Upon the Deep Vernor Vinge
      8.31 (337)
      ^15 The Dragon Never Sleeps Glen Cook
      8.27 (22)
      16 The Deed of Paksennarion S Elizabeth Moon
      8.27 (61)
      17 The Stars my Destination Alfred Bester
      8.27 (285)
      18 Tales of the Continuing Time S Daniel Keys Moran
      8.24 (75)
      19 Flowers for Algernon Daniel Keyes
      8.24 (231)
      20 Replay. Ken Grimwood
      8.23 (62)
      ^21 The Nine Billion Names of God C Arthur C. Clarke
      8.22 (34)
      22 The Moon is a Harsh Mistress Robert A. Heinlein
      8.22 (502)
      ^23 Bridge of Birds S1 Barry Hughart
      8.21 (91)
      24 The Hobbit J.R.R. Tolkien
      8.21 (813)
      25 The Annals of the Black Company S Glen Cook
      8.20 (141)
      ^26 The Once and Future King T.H. White
      8.20 (117)
      27 Lord of Light Roger Zelazny
      8.19 (292)
      ^28 The Coldfire Trilogy S C.S. Friedman
      8.19 (53)
      29 The Princess Bride William Goldman
      8.18 (129)
      30 By the Sword Mercedes Lackey
      8.18 (33)
      ^31 Deathbird Stories C Harlan Ellison
      8.18 (20)
      32 Doors of his Face, Lamps of his Mouth C Roger Zelazny
      8.17 (46)
      33 The Best of Cordwainer Smith C Cordwainer Smith
      8.17 (35)
      34 Watership Down Richard Adams
      8.16 (165)
      ^35 Hard to be a God A & B Strugatski
      8.15 (33)
      36 Persistence of Vision C John Varley
      8.15 (57)
      ^37 Beetle in the Anthill A & B Strugatski
      8.14 (20)
      38 The Blue Sword Robin McKinley
      8.14 (45)
      39 Stone of Tears S2 Terry Goodkind
      8.14 (109)
      40 Memory, Sorrow and Thorn S Tad Williams
      8.13 (237)
      ^41 The First Chronicles of Amber S Roger Zelazny
      8.13 (437)
      42 True Names Vernor Vinge
      8.13 (76)
      ^43 Snow Crash Neal Stephenson
      8.13 (343)
      44 The Demolished Man Alfred Bester
      8.13 (251)
      45 Fiasco Stanislaw Lem
      8.13 (22)
      46 1984 George Orwell
      8.12 (460)
      ^47 The Hero and the Crown Robin McKinley
      8.12 (34)
      48 Quarantine Greg Egan
      8.12 (43)
      49 Norstrilia Cordwainer Smith
      8.10 (64)
      50 The Cyberiad Stanislaw Lem
      8.09 (95)
      ^51 The Invincible Stanislaw Lem
      8.09 (29)
      52 A Clockwork Orange Anthony Burgess
      8.08 (127)
      53 Vlad the Assassin Series S Steven Brust
      8.08 (125)
      54 The Last Unicorn Peter Beagle
      8.08 (62)
      55 The Anubis Gates Tim Powers
      8.07 (176)
      ^56 The Island of Doctor Death and ... C Gene Wolfe
      8.07 (16)
      ^57 Soldier of the Mist S1 Gene Wolfe
      8.07 (23)
      58 Player of Games Iain M. Banks
      8.07 (174)
      59 Green Hills of Earth C Robert A. Heinlein
      8.07 (73)
      60 Startide Rising David Brin
      8.06 (441)
      61 The Foundation Trilogy S Isaac Asimov
      8.06 (792)
      62 The Book of the New Sun S Gene Wolfe
      8.06 (232)
      63 The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe S1 C.S. Lewis
      8.05 (296)
      ^64 Tea with the Black Dragon R.A. MacAvoy
      8.04 (57)
      65 Alice in Wonderland Lewis Carroll
      8.04 (143)
      66 Something Wicked this Way Comes Ray Bradbury
      8.04 (117)
      ^67 Raising the Stones Sheri S. Tepper
      8.04 (29)
      ^68 God Stalk S1 P.C. Hodgell
      8.04 (21)
      69 The Dark Elf Trilogy S R.A. Salvatore
      8.04 (55)
      70 A Wizard of Earthsea S1 Ursula Le Guin
      8.04 (397)
      71 Crystal Express C Bruce Sterling
      8.03 (20)
      72 Dying Inside Robert Silverberg
      8.02 (75)
      ^73 On Stranger Tides Tim Powers
      8.02 (45)
      ^74 Ubik Philip K. Dick
      8.02 (160)
      75 The Crystal Cave S1 Mary Stewart
      8.02 (43)
      76 Magic's Pawn S1 Mercedes Lackey
      8.02 (74)
      77 Way Station Clifford Simak
      8.01 (195)
      78 The Fionavar Tapestry S Guy G. Kay
      8.01 (173)
      ^79 The Tactics of Mistake S2 Gordon Dickson
      8.01 (39)
      80 A Canticle for Leibowitz Walter M. Miller
      8.01 (352)
      ^81 Legend. S1 David Gemmell
      8.01 (41)
      82 Harpist in the Wind S3 Patricia McKillip
      8.00 (72)
      83 Futurological Congress Stanislaw Lem
      8.00 (61)
      84 Arrow's Fall S3 Mercedes Lackey
      8.00 (32)
      85 Against a Dark Background Iain M. Banks
      8.00 (54)
      ^86 A Song for Arbonne Guy G. Kay
      8.00 (143)
      87 Cat's Cradle Kurt Vonnegut
      8.00 (124)
      88 The Shadow Rising S4 Robert Jordan
      8.00 (514)
      ^89 Neutron Star C Larry Niven
      8.00 (153)
      ^90 The Middle Kingdom S1 David Wingrove
      8.00 (23)
      91 Voice of the Whirlwind Walter J. Williams
      8.00 (37)
      92 More than Human Theodore Sturgeon
      7.99 (126)
      93 The Madness Season C.S. Friedman
      7.99 (20)
      ^94 Assassin's Apprentice S1 Robin Hobb
      7.99 (56)
      95 A Night in the Lonesome October Roger Zelazny
      7.99 (43)
      96 The Door into Summer Robert A. Heinlein
      7.99 (212)
      97 The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy S1 Douglas Adams
      7.98 (655)
      ^98 The Chrysalids John Wyndham
      7.97 (98)
      ^99 Expanded Universe C Robert A. Heinlein
      7.97 (47)
      100 Brightness Reef S1 David Brin
      7.97 (63)
      =========

      {S1} indicates that the book is the 1'st book in a series.
      {C} indicates a collection of short stories.
      {A} indicates an anthology.
      {F} indicates that the book is not available in English.
      * indicates that the book was not on the chart last week.
      ^ indicates that the book has risen from last week's position.

      {SA1} and {SB1} distinguish the first books from different series.
      -

      NOTE 1 : When voting for series, _The Book of the New Sun_ will refer
      to the first four books. _The Urth Cycle_ includes _The Urth of the
      New Sun_. Also _The Chronicles of Amber_ refers to all ten books. You
      are also allowed to vote for each book in the series individually.

      NOTE 2 : The series below are listed in order of publication rather
      than
      internal chronology.

      A Song of Ice and Fire
      ----------------------
      A Game of Thrones S1 8.90 (158)
      A Clash of Kings S2 8.40 (79)
      A Storm of Swords S3 8.29 (44)

      The Hyperion Cantos
      -------------------
      Hyperion S1 8.32 (523)
      Fall of Hyperion S2 7.95 (332)
      Endymion S3 8.27 (146)
      Rise of Endymion S4 8.18 (90)

      The Deed of Paksennarion
      ------------------------
      The Sheepfarmer's Daughter S1 8.20 (61)
      Divided Allegiance S2 7.97 (51)
      Oath of Gold S3 8.27 (55)

      The Annals of the Black Company
      -------------------------------
      The Black Company S1 7.96 (141)
      Shadows Linger S2 7.94 (92)
      The White Rose S3 8.20 (92)
      The Silver Spike S4 7.89 (72)
      Shadow Games S5 8.13 (78)
      Dreams of Steel S6 8.00 (72)

      The Coldfire Trilogy
      --------------------
      Black Sun Rising S1 8.07 (53)
      When True Night Falls S2 8.19 (48)
      Crown of Shadows S3 7.89 (39)

      Memory, Sorrow and Thorn
      ------------------------
      The Dragonbone Chair S1 7.84 (237)
      The Stone of Farewell S2 8.13 (188)
      To Green Angel Tower S3 8.05 (190)

      The First Chronicles of Amber
      -----------------------------
      Nine Princes in Amber S1 7.93 (437)
      The Guns of Avalon S2 8.13 (323)
      Sign of the Unicorn S3 8.08 (308)
      The Hand of Oberon S4 8.05 (312)
      The Courts of Chaos S5 8.08 (311)

      Vlad the Assassin Series
      ------------------------
      Jhereg S1 7.61 (125)
      Yendi S2 8.03 (76)
      Teckla S3 7.50 (63)
      Taltos. S4 8.08 (66)
      Phoenix. S5 7.66 (56)
      Athyra S6 7.38 (52)
      Orca. S7 7.40 (40)
      Dragon. S8 6.55 (6)

      Foundation Series
      -----------------
      Foundation S1 8.06 (792)
      Foundation and Empire S2 7.99 (642)
      Second Foundation S3 8.02 (654)
      Foundation's Edge S4 6.99 (237)
      Foundation and Earth S5 6.81 (219)
      Prelude to Foundation S6 6.84 (200)
      Forward the Foundation S7 6.90 (177)

      The Book of the New Sun / The Urth Cycle
      The Shadow of the Torturer S1 7.97 (232)
      The Claw of the Conciliator S2 7.92 (204)
      The Sword of the Lictor S3 8.05 (182)
      The Citadel of the Autarch S4 8.06 (181)
      The Urth of the New Sun S5 7.39 (71)

      The Dark Elf Trilogy
      --------------------
      Homeland S1 7.59 (55)
      Exile S2 8.04 (52)
      Sojourn S3 7.99 (41)

      The Fionavar Tapestry
      ---------------------
      The Summer Tree S1 7.83 (190)
      The Wandering Fire S2 7.98 (175)
      The Darkest Road S3 8.01 (173)

      It is not necessary to read the following series in order, since they
      are more or less separate novels set in the same universe. Because of
      this,
      could you please vote for each of the books comprising the series
      individually (instead of having one vote for the entire series).

      The Vorkosigan Series
      ---------------------
      Shards of Honor 8.22 (121)
      Barrayar 8.15 (135)
      The Warrior's Apprentice 8.16 (131)
      Borders of Infinity 8.06 (85)
      The Vor Game 7.80 (109)
      Ethan of Athos 7.28 (73)
      Falling Free 7.32 (76)
      Brothers in Arms 7.98 (83)
      Mirror Dance 8.58 (124)
      Cetaganda 7.26 (65)
      Memory. 8.64 (61)
      Komarr 7.52 (38)
      A Civil Campaign 7.71 (22)

      Tales of the Continuing Time
      ----------------------------
      Emerald Eyes 8.24 (31)
      The Armageddon Blues 7.37 (18)
      The Long Run 8.22 (75)
      The Last Dancer 8.22 (62)

      The Discworld Series
      --------------------
      The Colour of Magic 7.52 (150)
      The Light Fantastic 7.65 (117)
      Equal Rites 7.51 (103)
      Mort. 7.79 (141)
      Sourcery 7.60 (89)
      Wyrd Sisters 7.81 (94)
      Pyramids 7.38 (99)
      Guards! Guards! 8.05 (112)
      Eric. 7.52 (81)
      Moving Pictures 7.63 (75)
      Reaper Man 8.26 (96)
      Witches Abroad 7.96 (81)
      Small Gods 8.03 (107)
      Lords and Ladies 7.72 (81)
      Men at Arms 8.27 (91)
      Soul Music 8.01 (66)
      Interesting Times 8.44 (56)
      Maskerade 7.76 (43)
      Feet of Clay 7.66 (42)
      Hogfather 6.67 (26)
      Jingo 6.74 (22)
      The Last Continent 5.54 (13)
      Carpe Jugulum 5.84 (12)
      The Fifth Elephant 6.07 (11)
      The Truth 5.64 (7)

      wildfire(malcolm)
    • Ignacio Viglizzo
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3, 2002
        That's quite a strange list, with Martin above Tolkin and the not so well known
        Strugadski brothers in the 6th place... where did you get it??
        I never heard of Sapkowski or Evans... Someone wants to dispell my ignorance?

        --- wildfire50uk <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
        > =========
        > Pos | Title | Type | Author/Editor |
        > Score
        > 1 A Song of Ice and Fire S George R. Martin
        > 8.90 (158)
        > 2 Lord of the Rings J.R.R. Tolkien
        > 8.90 (1328
        > 3 Ender's Game S1 Orson Scott Card
        > 8.67 (1082
        > 4 The Vorkosigan Series S Lois M. Bujold
        > 8.64 (135)
        > 5 Krew Elfow F A. Sapkowski
        > 8.51 (36)
        > 6 Roadside Picnic A & B Strugatski
        > 8.46 (78)
        > 7 The Discworld Series S Terry Pratchett
        > 8.44 (150)
        > 8 Dune. S1 Frank Herbert
        > 8.41 (1108
        > 9 The Lions of Al-Rassan Guy G. Kay