Re: ATTN: Serious sci/fi fans!!!

  • ss1400
    Message 1 of 4105 , Feb 5, 2002
      Serious discussion? OK I'm up for
      it.<br><br>Please give us an example of Hamiltons nano-tech and
      let's see if it could really work. Most nano-tech in
      the SF world is unfeasable as it is described, but I
      am not familiar with Hamilton's work. P.J. Farmer
      would probably do a good job on this, but as far as I
      know he has kept clear of this subject.<br><br>Let's
      discuss his vision of AI and see if it is "realistic", or
      just a McGuffin to get stories in motion. The subject
      of AI is one that fascinates me. The biggest
      question I have being "Why bother"? Asimov had a great
      idea when he decided to make his AI stories about how
      the things could malfunction under strictly
      controlled conditions. Since then, I haven't really seen a
      good AI theme apart from "2001 A Space Odessy". I'm up
      for a discussion of any new take on that
      front.<br><br>Let's discuss the Science in Hamiton's Science Fiction.
      But let's not let that discussion bog down in
      wannabe-physics like the space station discussion did,
      eh?<br><br>OR: Let's discuss the fiction and what it is trying
      to achieve in its own right. For many authors such
      as Bradbury, Gibson and Bujold to name but three,
      the science (hard OR soft) is secondary, or in some
      cases, entirely superfluous. Let's see if we think
      Hamilton is merely using an SF backdrop to sell stories
      that couldn't be sold in any other genre.<br><br>If
      you feel the club is in some way failing to meet its
      stated objectives M46YrsYung, you share the
      responsibility with the rest of the membership to do something
      about it.<br><br>As for the other stuff, you don't have
      to participate if you don't want to.<br><br>"Serious
      sci/fi fans" indeed! I can only hope that the subject
      title was /intended/ to be ironic, otherwise you just
      scored a palpable hit on your own foot.<br><br>Steve.
      Message 4105 of 4105 , Jun 13, 2003
        --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, pfabien wrote:
        > This is a alternate history novel in which
        > everything that we know has been turned upside down. The
        > 1917 communist revolution happened in the U.S. In this
        > world Al Capone is president and dictator.

        Al Capone was the ultimate in so called free marketeering...