Inside of every blood cell in HG Wells..

  • bonniac
    Message 1 of 4105 , Feb 1, 2002
      INFERNAL DEVICES-K.W. Jeter. Oh dear reader, the
      book I have just read flamed the mind with it's fancy
      and mystery to make the fragile bones of my pudenda
      quiver with delicate joy such that I have never felt
      afore! Goddam what a book. This is like H.G. Wells with
      the H.P. Lovecraft descriptions of darkness run thru
      the mind of Sherlock Holmes writer Doyle. Written
      like an old classic.<br><br>In England a certain Dower
      had a Sr. who built watches and infernal devices, one
      was a mechanical church that had bows and spinning
      knobs that resonated human voices from clergymen who
      offered sermons and communion. <br>Young Dower is given
      an old device of his fathers that has the perplexing
      properties of a device without use, well made....but is in
      demand as someone tries to steal it. It leads him around
      a mystery behind somes inconclusive riddles that
      spin his head (and the reader) into more conundrums.
      This mystery takes him to a borough of London where
      everyone seems to be related to a Saint Monkfish. A coin
      he is given as payment to repair the useless device
      has the patron Monkfish as resembling a carp.
      Everyone in this district looks like one too. 'Green
      Girls' seem to be the prize for the jaded elite in this
      borough and from the scandal comes "The Royal
      Anti-Society", Molly Maude's Whores, "The Godly Army" and more.
      It's about as screwy as it gets, complete
      steampunkery, with a duo who are scamming their way across the
      land thru an entirely different set of devices...
      coincidences so well constructed I couldn't set it down
      without getting an automatic headache from the id. Must
      read.
      Message 4105 of 4105 , Jun 13, 2003
        --- In sciencefictionclassics@yahoogroups.com, pfabien wrote:
        > This is a alternate history novel in which
        > everything that we know has been turned upside down. The
        > 1917 communist revolution happened in the U.S. In this
        > world Al Capone is president and dictator.

        Al Capone was the ultimate in so called free marketeering...