New Physics vs Standard Model --"Capable of Describing Only 35% of the Universe

  • derhexerus
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2013
      URL to an interesting post in The Daily Galaxy

      Chris

      Warning! Things in the rear-view mirror are weirder than they seem.

      "

      No one knows for sure, but it is not at all unlikely that the universe is constructed in a very different way than the theories and models of today predict. The most widely used model today cannot explain everything in the universe, and therefore there is a need to explore the parts of nature which the model cannot explain. This research field is called "New Physics," and it turns our understanding of the universe upside down.

      "New physics is about searching for unknown physical phenomena not known from the current perception of the universe. Such phenomena are inherently very difficult to detect,” explains PhD student Matin Mojaza from Europe's CP3-Origins. The Standard Model needs to be extended so that it can explain the Higgs particle, dark matter and gravity. One possibility in this regard is to examine the so-called technicolor theory, and another is the theory of supersymmetry.

      According to the supersymmetry theory, each particle has a partner somewhere in the universe - these have not yet been found though. According to the technicolor theory there is a special techni-force that binds so-called techni-quarks, which can form other particles - perhaps this is how the Higgs particle is formed. This could explain the problems with the current model of the Higgs particle.

      Together with colleagues Stanley J. Brodsky from Stanford University in the U.S. and Xing-Gang Wu from Chongqing University in China, Mojaza has now succeeding in creating a new method that can make it easier to search for new physics in the universe. The method is a so called scale-setting procedure, and it fills out some empty, but very important, holes in the theories, models and simulations, which form the basis for all particle physics today. "With this method we can eliminate much of the uncertainty in theories and models of today," says Matin Mojaza.

      Many theories and models in particle physics today has the problem that they, together with their predictions, provide some parameters that scientists do not know how to set.

      "Physicists do not know what values ​​they should give these parameters. For example, when we study the Standard Model and see these unknown parameters, we cannot know whether they should be interpreted as conditions that support or oppose to the Standard Model – this makes it quite difficult to study the Standard Model accurately enough to investigate its value", explains Matin Mojaza.

      With the new approach researchers can now completely clean their models for the unknown parameters and thus become better at assessing whether a theory or a model holds water.

      The standard model has for the last 50 years been the prevailing theory of how the universe is constructed. According to this theory, 16 (17 if we include the Higgs particle) subatomic particles form the basis for everything in the universe. But the Standard Model is starting to fall short, so it is now necessary to look for new physics in the universe. One of the Standard Model's major problems is that it cannot explain gravity, and another is that it cannot explain the existence of dark matter, believed to make up app. 25 percent of all matter in the universe. In addition, the properties of the newly discovered Higgs particle, as described in the standard model, is incompatible with a stable universe."

    • surprisemove
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5, 2013

         This actually comes at the right time for me because my question, which I have been asking for a while as a user of the Traveller RPG game system is, how valid are classic sci-fi canon in the light of new scientific discoveries?

        I.e. when I read what is termed Classic Traveller material now that had been written in the late 70s and early 80s, I am incredulous as to the validity of statements in what is supposed to be 'hard' science fiction.

        Should the 'classics' be rewritten to align them with our increasingly better knowledge on the many aspects of their 'science'. while still retaining the fiction part of the story-telling?

        Greg