Frederik Pohl has passed away

  • derhexerus
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2013
      This came across on one of my news feeds. Frederik Pohl died over the
      weekend. He was born in 1919 and had a career that spanned from the pulpy 1930s
      to the present day. As an editor he brought and helped my great writers
      get started.

      I just finished rereading his two classics - The Space Merchants and
      Gladiator At Law - great collabs with C. M. Kornbuth.

      Pohl was a member of the Futurians, which included such great authors as
      Isaac Asimov, James Blish, Damon Knight, Cyril Kornbluth, Robert A. W.
      Lowndes, Judith Merril and Donald A. Wollheim.

      Who has read Pohl and what did you think of him?

      he will be missed.

      Chris

      (Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change)

    • Stephen Goldin
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2013
        Fred Pohl bought my first story, and several other works of mine as
        well. He was a fantastic (in several senses of the word) writer and a
        terrific editor.

        Above all, he was a wonderful guy, and I'm honored to have known him.

        Poor Betty.
        --
        Stephen Goldin <http://stephengoldin.com>

        Visit Parsina Press <http://parsina.com>, my online bookstore

      • Amy Harlib
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2013
          aharlib@...
          Pohl was one of the all-time greats.

          I loved his Gateway series so much!

          What a loss!

          Amy in NYC - life long lover of all things SF & F

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 3, 2013
            Another great author gone..RIP