Does Our Solar System Exist in a Region of the Universe that's Just Right for Li

  • derhexerus
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 28, 2013
      URL to in interesting article from the dailu Ga;laxy
      http://tinyurl.com/q5uhv5m

      "Many of our greatest scientists have been asking why does the universe
      appear to fe "fine-tuned" for life? The logic behind this question, sometimes
      known as the anthropic principle, says that's why we are here today, able
      to study the universe and learn about its laws. But if any of these
      constants were slightly different, we could never have come in to exist in the
      first place.
      Analysis of the light from distant quasars in 2011 from data from the
      _Very Large Telescope_
      (http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-24.6272222222,-70.4041666667&spn=0.01,0.01&q=-24.6272222222,-70.4041666667
      (Very%20Large%20Telescope)&t=h) (VLT) in Chile showed that one of the constants of nature appears
      to be different in different parts of the cosmos, supporting the theory that
      our solar system is an area of the Universe that is "just right" for life,
      which negates _Einstein's equivalence principle_
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equivalence_principle) , which states that the laws of physics are the
      same everywhere.
      "This finding was a real surprise to everyone," said John Webb of the
      _University of New South Wales_
      (http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-33.9177777778,151.231111111&spn=0.01,0.01&q=-33.9177777778,151.231111111
      (University%20of%20New%20South%20Wales)&t=h) in Sydney, Australia.
      The change in the constant appears to have an orientation, creating a
      "preferred direction", or axis, across the cosmos, an idea that was dismissed
      more than 100 years ago with the creation of _Einstein's special theory of
      relativity_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_relativity) .
      The report describes how the "magic number" known as the fine-structure
      constant –- dubbed alpha for short –- appears to vary throughout the
      Universe, says the team from the University of New South Wales, _Swinburne
      University of Technology_
      (http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-37.8211111111,145.038333333&spn=0.01,0.01&q=-37.8211111111,145.038333333
      (Swinburne%20University%20of%20Technology)&t=h) and the University of Cambridge. The work is
      currently under peer review.
      “After measuring alpha in around 300 distant galaxies, a consistency
      emerged: this magic number, which tells us the strength of electromagnetism, is
      not the same everywhere as it is here on Earth, and seems to vary
      continuously along a preferred axis through the Universe,” said Webb.
      “The implications for our current understanding of science are profound.
      If the laws of physics turn out to be merely “local by-laws”, it might be
      that whilst our observable part of the Universe favors the existence of life
      and human beings, other far more distant regions may exist where different
      laws preclude the formation of life, at least as we know it.
      “If our results are correct, clearly we shall need new physical theories
      to satisfactorily describe them.”
      The researchers' conclusions are based on new measurements taken with the
      Very Large Telescope (VLT) in Chile, along with their previous measurements
      from the world’s largest optical telescopes at the Keck Observatory, in
      Hawaii.
      The core finding of the new study is the fine structure constant (alpha).
      This number determines the strength of interactions between light and
      matter. A decade ago, Webb used observations from the Keck telescope in Hawaii
      to analyze the light from distant galaxies called quasars. The data suggested
      that the value of alpha was very slightly smaller when the quasar light
      was emitted 12 billion years ago than it appears in laboratories on Earth
      today.
      Webb's colleague Julian King, also of the University of New South Wales,
      has analyzed data from the Very Large Telescope (VLT) in Chile, which looks
      at a different region of the sky. The VLT data suggests that the value of
      alpha elsewhere in the Universe is very slightly bigger than on Earth.
      The difference in both cases is around a millionth of the value alpha has
      in our region of space, and suggests that alpha varies in space rather than
      time. "I'd quietly hoped we'd simply find the same thing that Keck found,"
      King says. "This was a real shock."
      King says that after combining the two sets of measurements, the new
      result "struck" them: "The _Keck telescopes_
      (http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=19.82636,-155.47501&spn=0.01,0.01&q=19.82636,-155.47501
      (W.%20M.%20Keck%20Observatory)&t=h) and the VLT are in different hemispheres; they look in
      different directions through the Universe. Looking to the north with Keck we see,
      on average, a smaller alpha in distant galaxies, but when looking south
      with the VLT we see a larger alpha".

      Chris Rohrs CBCP

      (Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change)