"If We Ever Encounter Extraterrestrial Intelligence it is Overwhelmingly Likely

  • derhexerus
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 7, 2013
      URL to an interesting article fro The Daily Galaxy
      http://tinyurl.com/mvuugkj

      During an epoch of dramatic climate change 200,000 years ago, Homo sapiens
      (modern humans) evolved in Africa. Several leading scientists are asking:
      Is the human species entering a new evolutionary, post-biological inflection
      point? _Paul Davies_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Davies) , a
      British-born theoretical physicist, cosmologist, astrobiologist and Director of
      the Beyond Center for Fundamental Concepts in Science and Co-Director of the
      Cosmology Initiative at _Arizona State University_
      (http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.4211111111,-111.931666667&spn=0.01,0.01&q=33.4211111111,-111.93166
      6667 (Arizona%20State%20University)&t=h) , says that any aliens exploring
      the universe will be _AI_
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_intelligence) -empowered machines. Not only are machines better able to endure
      extended exposure to the conditions of space, but they have the potential to
      develop intelligence far beyond the capacity of the human brain.
      "I think it very likely – in fact inevitable – that biological
      intelligence is only a transitory phenomenon, a fleeting phase in the evolution of
      the universe," Davies writes in _The Eerie Silence_
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eerie_Silence) . "If we ever encounter extraterrestrial
      intelligence, I believe it is overwhelmingly likely to be post-biological in nature."
      In the current search for advanced extraterrestrial life _SETI_
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_for_extraterrestrial_intelligence) experts say
      the odds favor detecting alien AI rather than biological life because the
      time between aliens developing radio technology and artificial intelligence
      would be brief."

      Chris

      (I reject your reality and substitute my own)

    • Greg Chalik
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 8, 2013
        Not everyone in the Universe, or even on Earth, think like Paul Davies. Some human beings are proud to be biological and have no intention of being replaced, and this may in fact include the vast majority of other sapient life-forms in the Universe.

        As for superiority of artificial 'life' over biological, which is also 'artificial' if one does accept Creation, this is still a theory. Can a product become better than the tool used to create it?
        And, if mechanical beings would be superior, why didn't God just create robots to start with?

        By the way, Paul Davies somehow failed to understand the proof for Gor from the Bible, so his intellectual credentials are not as 'awesome' as Wikipedia makes them seem.

        Greg