Is Our 21st-Century Technology Too Primitive to Detect Advanced Extraterrestrial

  • derhexerus
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11, 2013
      URL to an interesting post from The Daily Galaxy
      http://tinyurl.com/mrem4tq

      I've long suspected that advanced aliens civilizations are using
      communication systems we can't detect yet

      Chris

      (Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change)

      "
      Some of the world's leading astronomers -- including Great Britain's
      astronomer royal, _Sir Martin Rees_
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Rees,_Baron_Rees_of_Ludlow) -- believe aliens, rather than using different radio
      waves or visible light to signal, may be using an entirely different
      communication medium such as ghostly neutrinos or with gravitational waves
      (ripples in the fabric of space-time) or using communication mechanisms we cannot
      begin to fathom.
      “The fact that we have not yet found the slightest evidence for life --
      much less intelligence -- beyond this Earth," said Arthur C. Clarke, "does
      not surprise or disappoint me in the least. Our technology must still be
      laughably primitive, we may be like jungle savages listening for the throbbing
      of tom-toms while the ether around them carries more words per second than
      they could utter in a lifetime."
      Lord Rees, a leading cosmologist and astrophysicist who is the president of
      Britain’s Royal Society and astronomer to the Queen of England believes
      the existence of extraterrestrial life may be beyond human understanding.
      “They could be staring us in the face and we just don’t recognize them.
      The problem is that we’re looking for something very much like us, assuming
      that they at least have something like the same mathematics and technology."
      “I suspect there could be life and intelligence out there in forms we can’
      t conceive. Just as a chimpanzee can’t understand quantum theory, it could
      be there as aspects of reality that are beyond the capacity of our brains.”
      _Frank Drake_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Drake) , the founder of
      SETI and _Drake's Equation_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation) ,
      believes that satellite TV and the “digital revolution” is making humanity
      invisible to aliens by cutting the transmission of TV and radio signals
      into space. The earth is currently surrounded by a 50 light year-wide “shell”
      of radiation from analogue TV, radio and radar transmissions. According to
      Drake, digital TV signals would look like white noise to a race of
      observing aliens.
      Although the signals have spread far enough to reach many nearby star
      systems, they are rapidly vanishing in the wake of digital technology, said
      Drake. In the 1960s, Drake spearheaded the conversion of the _Arecibo
      Observatory_
      (http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=18.3441666667,-66.7527777778&spn=0.01,0.01&q=18.3441666667,-66.7527777778 (Arecibo%20Observatory)&t=h) to a radio
      astronomy center. As a researcher, Drake was involved in the early work on
      pulsars. Drake also designed the _Pioneer plaque_
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_plaque) with Carl Sagan in 1972, the first physical message
      sent into space. The plaque was designed to be understandable by
      extraterrestrials should they encounter it.
      Milan Cirkovic of the Astronomical Observatory in Belgrade, points out that
      the median age of terrestrial planets in the Milky Way is about 1.8
      gigayears (one billion years) greater than the age of the Earth and the Solar
      System, which means that the median age of technological civilizations should
      be greater than the age of human civilization by the same amount. The
      vastness of this interval indicates that one or more processes must suppress
      observability of extraterrestrial communities.
      Since at this point, there is no direct and/or widely apparent evidence
      that extraterrestrial life exists, it likely means one of the following:
      We are (A) the first intelligent beings ever to become capable of making
      our presence known, and leaving our planet. At this point, there are no other
      life forms out there as advanced as us. Or perhaps extraterrestrial life
      does exists, but for some reason extraterrestrial life is so very rare and
      so very far away we’ll never make contact anyway -- making extraterrestrial
      life nonexistent in a practical sense at least.
      Or is it (B) that many advanced civilizations have existed before us, but
      without exception, they have for some unknown reason, existed and/or
      expanded in such a way that they are completely undetectable by our instruments.
      Or is it (C) There have been others, but they have all run into some sort
      of “cosmic roadblock” that eventually destroys them, or at least prevents
      their expansion beyond a small area.