Emergence of the Human 'SuperBrain' 75,000 Years Ago --"The Neurologic Internet'

  • derhexerus
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 21, 2013
      URL to an interesting post from The Daily galaxy
      http://tinyurl.com/n24ssnk

      There is archaeological evidence for the evolution of a human "super-brain"
      no later than 75,000 years ago that spurred a modern capacity for novelty
      and invention, according to _John Hoffecker_
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_H._Hoffecker) , an archaeologist at the _University of Colorado_
      (http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.0066666667,-105.267222222&spn=0.01,0.01&q=40.006
      6666667,-105.267222222 (University%20of%20Colorado%20at%20Boulder)&t=h) .
      Scientists seeking to understand the origin of the human mind may want to
      look to honeybees -- not ancestral apes -- for at least some of the answers,
      according to a Hoffecker.
      Hoffecker says there is abundant fossil and archaeological evidence for
      the evolution of the human mind, including its unique power to create a
      potentially infinite variety of thoughts expressed in the form of sentences, art
      and technologies. He attributes the evolving power of the mind to the
      formation of what he calls the "super-brain," or collective mind, an event that
      took place in Africa no later than 75,000 years ago.
      An internationally known archaeologist who has worked at sites in Europe
      and the Arctic, Hoffecker said the formation of the super-brain was a
      consequence of a rare ability to share complex thoughts among individual brains.
      Among other creatures on Earth, the honeybee may be the best example of an
      organism that has mastered the trick of communicating complex information --
      including maps of food locations and information on potential nest sites
      from one brain to another -- using their intricate "waggle dance."
      "Humans obviously evolved a much wider range of communication tools to
      express their thoughts, the most important being language," said Hoffecker, a
      fellow at CU's Institute of Arctic and Alpine Research. "Individual human
      brains within social groups became integrated into a neurologic Internet of
      sorts, giving birth to the mind."
      The image below illustrates the neocortex (Tamily Weissman, Jeff Lichtman,
      and Joshua Sanes).The neocortex, Latin for "new bark," is our third, newly
      human brain in terms of evolution. It is what makes possible our judgments
      and our knowledge of good and evil. It is also the site from which our
      creativity emerges and home to our sense of self.
      The Neocortex says _Carl Sagan_
      (http://musicbrainz.org/artist/5d63a48c-16fc-4515-be15-c97bf0b3e396.html) in his iconic Cosmos, is where "matter is
      transformed into consciousness." It comprises more than two-thirds of our
      brain mass. The realm of intuition and critical analysis,--it is the
      Neocortex where we have our ideas and inspirations, where we read and write, where
      we compose music or do mathematics. "It is the distinction of our species,"
      writes Sagan,"the seat of our humanity. Civilization is the product of the
      cerebral cortex."
      Each cubic millimeter of tissue in the neocortex, reports Michael Chorost
      in World Wide Mind, contains between 860 million and 1.3 billion synapses.
      Estimates of the total number of synapses in the neocortex range from 164
      trillion to 200 trillion. The total number of synapses in the brain as a
      whole is much higher than that. The neocorex has the same number of neurons as
      a galaxy has stars: 100 billion.