Fwd: The Daily Galaxy: News from Planet Earth & Beyond

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 11, 2012
      Post from the Daily Galaxy

      ____________________________________
      From: vlandi@...
      To: derhexer@...
      Sent: 12/11/2012 6:37:16 P.M. Eastern Standard Time
      Subj: The Daily Galaxy: News from Planet Earth & Beyond

      _The Daily Galaxy: News from Planet Earth & Beyond_
      (http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/)

      (http://fusion.google.com/add?source=atgs&feedurl=http://feeds.feedburner.com/TheDailyGalaxyNewsFromPlanetEarthBeyond)

      ____________________________________
      _"We May be Living in a Massive Computer-Generated Universe" --Physicists
      Say Its Reality Can Now Be Tested_
      (http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/TheDailyGalaxyNewsFromPlanetEarthBeyond/~3/hyJtYf-7Ask/the-idea-that-we-may-be-living-
      in-a-computer-generated-universe-that-has-been-debated-by-the-greats-of-phil
      osphy-fromplatoto.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email)

      (http://www.dailygalaxy.com/.a/6a00d8341bf7f753ef017d3eb123fd970c-pi)
      The idea that we may be living in a computer generated universe that has
      been debated by the greats of philosphy, from _Plato_
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plato) to _Descartes_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/René_Descartes)
      , who speculated that the world we see around us could be generated by an
      'evil demon'. Plato wrote that reality may be no more than shadows in a cave
      but the human species, having never left the cave, may not be aware of
      it.More recently, the concept that current humanity could possibly be living
      in a computer simulation comes from a 2003 paper published in Philosophical
      Quarterly by _Nick Bostrom_ (http://www.nickbostrom.com/) , a philosophy
      professor at the _University of Oxford_
      (http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.7611,-1.2534&spn=0.01,0.01&q=51.7611,-1.2534 (University%20of%20Oxford)&t=h) .
      In the paper, he argued that at least one of three possibilities is true:
      (1) The human species is likely to go extinct before reaching a “posthuman”
      stage; (2) Any posthuman civilization is very unlikely to run a
      significant number of simulations of its evolutionary history. We are almost
      certainly living in a computer simulation; (3) “the belief that there is a
      significant chance that we will one day become posthumans who run ancestor
      simulations is false, unless we are currently living in a simulation.”
      The conical (red) surface shows the relationship between energy and
      momentum in special relativity, a fundamental theory concerning space and time
      developed by Albert Einstein, and is the expected result if our universe is
      not a simulation. The flat (blue) surface illustrates the relationship
      between energy and momentum that would be expected if the universe is a
      simulation with an underlying cubic lattice.
      (http://www.dailygalaxy.com/.a/6a00d8341bf7f753ef017c34820db3970b-pi)
      With current limitations and trends in computing, it will be decades
      before researchers will be able to run even primitive simulations of the
      universe. But now a team of physicists at the University of Washington has come up
      with a potential test to see if the idea holds water. The team has
      suggested tests that can be performed now, or in the near future, that are
      sensitive to constraints imposed on future simulations by limited resources.
      Currently, supercomputers using a technique called lattice quantum
      chromodynamics and starting from the fundamental physical laws that govern the
      universe can simulate only a very small portion of the universe, on the scale
      of one 100-trillionth of a meter, a little larger than the nucleus of an
      atom, said _Martin Savage_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Savage) , a UW
      physics professor.
      Eventually, more powerful simulations will be able to model on the scale
      of a molecule, then a cell and even a human being. But it will take many
      generations of growth in computing power to be able to simulate a large enough
      chunk of the universe to understand the constraints on physical processes
      that would indicate we are living in a computer model.
      However, Savage said, there are signatures of resource constraints in
      present-day simulations that are likely to exist as well in simulations in the
      distant future, including the imprint of an underlying lattice if one is
      used to model the _space-time continuum_
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacetime) .
      The supercomputers performing lattice quantum chromodynamics calculations
      essentially divide space-time into a four-dimensional grid. That allows
      researchers to examine what is called the strong force, one of the four
      fundamental forces of nature and the one that binds subatomic particles called
      quarks and gluons together into neutrons and protons at the core of atoms.
      “If you make the simulations big enough, something like our universe
      should emerge,” Savage said. Then it would be a matter of looking for a “
      signature” in our universe that has an analog in the current small-scale
      simulations.
      Savage and colleagues Silas Beane of the _University of New Hampshire_
      (http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=43.13556,-70.93333&spn=1.0,1.0&q=43.13556,-70.933
      33 (University%20of%20New%20Hampshire)&t=h) , who collaborated while at
      the UW’s Institute for Nuclear Theory, and Zohreh Davoudi, a UW physics
      graduate student, suggest that the signature could show up as a limitation in
      the energy of cosmic rays.
      In a paper they have posted on _arXiv_ (http://arxiv.org/) , an online
      archive for preprints of scientific papers in a number of fields, including
      physics, they say that the highest-energy cosmic rays would not travel along
      the edges of the lattice in the model but would travel diagonally, and they
      would not interact equally in all directions as they otherwise would be
      expected to do.*“This is the first testable signature of such an idea,”
      Savage said.
      If such a concept turned out to be reality, it would raise other
      possibilities as well. For example, Davoudi suggests that if our universe is a
      simulation, then those running it could be running other simulations as well,
      essentially creating other universes parallel to our own.
      “Then the question is, ‘Can you communicate with those other universes if
      they are running on the same platform?’” she said.
      Elsewhere this fall, Professor Silas Beane, a theoretical physicist at the
      _University of Bonn_
      (http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=50.7338888889,7.10222222222&spn=0.01,0.01&q=50.7338888889,7.10222222222
      (University%20of%20Bonn)&t=h) in Germany said that his group of scientists have developed a way to
      test the 'simulation hypothesis'. If the cosmos is a numerical simulation,
      there ought to be clues in the spectrum of high energy cosmic rays. Now
      more than two thousand years since Plato suggested that our senses provide
      only a weak reflection of objective reality, experts believe they have solved
      the riddle using mathetical models known as the _lattice QCD_
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lattice_QCD) approach in an attempt to recreate - on a
      theoretical level - a simulated reality. Lattice QCD is a complex approach that
      that looks at how particles known as quarks and gluons relate in three
      dimensions.
      "We consider ourselves on some level universe simulators because we
      calculate the interactions of particles by basically replacing space and time by
      a grid and putting it in a box," said Beane. "In doing that we face lots of
      problems for instance the box and the grid size breaks _Einstein's special
      theory of relativity_
      (http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2012/10/new-math-allows-for-travel-beyond-speed-of-light.html) so we know how to fix this
      in order to get physical predictions that are meaningful."
      "We thought that if we make the assumption that the so-called simulators
      face some of the same problems that we do in terms of finite resources and
      so on then, if they are doing a simulation and even though their box size of
      course is enormous and the grid size can be very small, as long as the
      resources are finite then the box size will be finite, the grid size will be
      finite," Beane added. "And therefore at some level for instance there would
      be violations of Einstein's special theory of relativity."
      According to _MIT's Technology Review,_
      (http://www.technologyreview.com/view/429561/the-measurement-that-would-reveal-the-universe-as-a-computer-simula
      tion/) "using the world's most powerful supercomputers, physicists have
      only managed to simulate tiny corners of the cosmos just a few femtometers
      across (A femtometer is 10^-15 meters.) That may not sound like much but the
      significant point is that the simulation is essentially indistinguishable
      from the real thing (at least as far as we understand it)."
      As _Carl Sagan_
      (http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2012/09/what-will-a-civilization-a-million-years-ahead-of-earth-look-like-weekend-feature.html)
      said, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.The image at the
      top of the page image shows a smoothed reconstruction of the total (mostly
      dark) matter distribution in the COSMOS field, created from data taken by
      the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope and ground-based telescopes. It was
      inferred from the weak gravitational lensing distortions that are imprinted
      onto the shapes of background galaxies. The colour coding indicates the
      distance of the foreground mass concentrations as gathered from the weak lensing
      effect. Structures shown in white, cyan, and green are typically closer to
      us than those indicated in orange and red. To improve the resolution of
      the map, data from galaxies both with and without redshift information were
      used.
      The Daily Galaxy via _http://www.washington.edu/news_
      (http://www.washington.edu/news) , _New Scientist_ (mip://0f4c67f0/www.newscientist.com) and
      _http://www.technologyreview.com_ (http://www.technologyreview.com/)
      Related articles

      (http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2012/10/massive-cloud-set-for-close-encounter-with-milky-ways-central-black-hole-1.html) _Massive "G2" Cloud
      Sucked Into Close Encounter with Milky Way's Central Black Hole_

      (http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2012/11/monster-quasar-discovered-with-power-outflow-100-times-milky-way-galaxy.html) _Monster Quasar Discovered
      with Power Outflow 100 Times Milky Way Galaxy_
      (http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2012/11/monster-quasar-discovered-with-power-outflow-100-times-mil
      ky-way-galaxy.html)

      (http://feeds.feedburner.com/~ff/TheDailyGalaxyNewsFromPlanetEarthBeyond?a=hyJtYf-7Ask:beveDtcb4gs:yIl2AUoC8zA)

      _Sulfate-Feeding Microbes Active in Earth's Oceans 2.7 Billion Years Ago_
      (http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/TheDailyGalaxyNewsFromPlanetEarthBeyond/~3/W5
      0hFXeSLEE/-sulfate-feeding-microbes-active-in-earths-oceans-27-billion-years
      -ago.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email)

      (http://www.dailygalaxy.com/.a/6a00d8341bf7f753ef017d3eadea51970c-pi)
      Scientists probing _sulfide ore_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfide)
      deposits from one of the world's richest base-metal mines confirmed that
      oxygen levels were extremely low on Earth 2.7 billion years ago, but also shows
      that microbes were actively feeding on sulfate in the ocean and
      influencing seawater chemistry during that geological time period. The research,
      reported by a team of Canadian and U.S. scientists in _Nature Geoscience_
      (http://www.nature.com/ngeo/) , provides new insight into how ancient metal-ore
      deposits can be used to better understand the chemistry of the ancient
      oceans – and the early evolution of life._Sulfate_
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfate) is the second most abundant dissolved ion in the oceans today.
      It comes from the "rusting" of rocks by atmospheric oxygen, which creates
      sulfate through chemical reactions with pyrite, the iron sulfide material
      known as "fool's gold."
      The researchers, led by PhD student _John Jamieson_
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Jamieson) of the University of Ottawa and Prof. Boswell Wing
      of McGill, measured the "weight" of sulfur in samples of massive sulfide ore
      from the _Kidd Creek_
      (http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=48.6869444444,-81.3711111111&spn=0.01,0.01&q=48.6869444444,-81.3711111111 (Kidd%20Mine)&t=h)
      copper-zinc mine in Timmins, Ontario, using a highly sensitive instrument
      known as a mass spectrometer.
      The weight is determined by the different amounts of isotopes of sulfur in
      a sample, and the abundance of different isotopes indicates how much
      seawater sulfate was incorporated into the massive sulfide ore that formed at
      the bottom of ancient oceans. That ancient ore is now found on the Earth's
      surface, and is particularly common in the Canadian shield.
      The scientists found that much less sulfate was incorporated into the 2.7
      billion-year-old ore at Kidd Creek than is incorporated into similar ore
      forming at the bottom of oceans today. From these measurements, the
      researchers were able to model how much sulfate must have been present in the
      ancient seawater. Their conclusion: sulfate levels were about 350 times lower
      than in today's ocean. Though they were extremely low, sulfate levels in the
      ancient ocean still supported an active global population of microbes that
      use sulfate to gain energy from organic carbon.
      "The sulfide ore deposits that we looked at are widespread on Earth, with
      Canada and Quebec holding the majority of them," says Wing, an associate
      professor in McGill's Department of Earth and Planetary Science. "We now have
      a tool for probing when and where these microbes actually came into global
      prominence."
      "Deep within a copper-zinc mine in northern Ontario that was once a
      volcanically active ancient seafloor may not be the most intuitive place one
      would think to look for clues into the conditions in which the earliest
      microbes thrived over 2.7 billion years ago," Jamieson adds. "However, our
      increasing understanding of these ancient environments and our abilities to
      analyze samples to a very high precision has opened the door to further our
      understanding of the conditions under which life evolved."
      For more information:
      www.nature.com/ngeo/journal/vaop/ncurrent/abs/ngeo1647.html Journal reference: Nature Geoscience *
      Image below shows ne of the sulfide ore samples analyzed for the study.
      The bright area in the lower left, a "sulfide nodule," preserves isotopic
      evidence of the presence of microbes that fed on sulfate in the ancient ocean.
      (http://www.dailygalaxy.com/.a/6a00d8341bf7f753ef017c347edbd8970b-pi)
      The Daily Galaxy via _McGill University_
      (http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=45.5041666667,-73.5747222222&spn=0.01,0.01&q=45.5041666667,-73.5747222222
      (McGill%20University)&t=h) Image credit: Mark. D. Hannington Related articles

      (http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2012/10/first-analysis-of-14-million-year-old-antarctica-lake-fails-to-yield-microbes.html) _First Analysis of

      (http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2012/11/ancient-microbial-life-found-thriving-in-permanent-darkness-60-feet-beneath-antarctica-ice.html)
      _Ancient Microbial Life Found Thriving in Permanent Darkness 60 Feet Beneath
      Antarctica Ice_
      (http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2012/11/ancient-microbial-life-found-thriving-in-permanent-darkness-60-feet-beneath-antarctica-ice.html)

      (http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2012-12/mu-mao121012.php) _Mining
      ancient ores for clues to early life_
      (http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2012-12/mu-mao121012.php)

      (http://feeds.feedburner.com/~ff/TheDailyGalaxyNewsFromPlanetEarthBeyond?a=W50hFXeSLEE:nuMYmqurwfc:yIl2AUoC8zA)

      You are subscribed to email updates from _The Daily Galaxy --Great
      Discoveries Channel: Sci, Space, Tech_ (http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/)
      To stop receiving these emails, you may _unsubscribe now_
      (http://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailunsubscribe?k=qNOGQr9YyF7arJHv_ARJ6hQQcWM) . Email
      delivery powered by Google Google Inc., 20 West Kinzie, Chicago IL USA
      60610

    • derhexerus
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 11, 2014
        Three interesting posts on The Daily Galaxy blog.

        Chris

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 13, 2014
          A series of interesting posts from The Daily Galaxy blog.

          Chris

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 18, 2014
            3 interesting posts from The Daily Galaxy blog.

            Chris

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 19, 2014
              Some interesting posts from the Daily Galaxy blog.

              Chris