"Gravity Doesn't Exist" --Is this Fundamental Phenomenon of the Universe an Illu

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29, 2012
      URL to an interesting article in The Daily Galaxy
      _http://tinyurl.com/cdl8ydp_ (http://tinyurl.com/cdl8ydp)

      Chris

      (I reject your reality and substitute my own)

      "
      Could both gravity and the Big Bang be an illusion? In January 2010, _Erik
      Verlinde_ (http://staff.science.uva.nl/~erikv/) , professor of _Theoretical
      Physics_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theoretical_physics) and
      world-renowned _string theorist_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_theory) , caused
      a worldwide stir with the publication of On the Origin of Gravity and the
      Laws of Newton, in which he challenged commonly held perceptions on gravity,
      going so far as to state ‘for me gravity doesn’t exist’. If he is proved
      correct, the consequences for our understanding of the universe and its
      origins in a Big Bang will be far-reaching.
      "Everyone who is working on theoretical physics is trying to improve on
      _Einstein_ (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/albert_einstein) ," says
      _Robbert Dijkgraaf_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbert_Dijkgraaf) , UvA
      University Professor and current director of the _Institute for Advanced
      Study_
      (http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.3316666667,-74.6677777778&spn=0.01,0.01&q=40.3316666667,-74.6677777778 (Institute%20for%20Advanced%20Study)&t=h)
      in Princeton (where scientists including Turing, Oppenheimer and Einstein
      have worked) In my opinion, Erik Verlinde has found an important key for the
      next step forward."
      Verlinde, who received the _Spinoza prize_
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinoza_Prize) (the Dutch Nobel Prize) from the Netherlands Organisation for
      Science, is famous for developing this new theory, or idea, on gravity in
      which he says that gravity is an illusion. "Gravity is not an illusion in
      the sense that we know that things fall," says Verline." Most people,
      certainly in physics, think we can describe gravity perfectly adequately using
      _Einstein’s General Relativity_
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_relativity) . But it now seems that we can also start from a microscopic
      formulation where there is no gravity to begin with, but you can derive it. This is
      called ‘emergence’."
      "We have other phenomena in Physics like this," Verlinde continued. "Take a
      concept like ‘temperature’, for instance. We experience it every day. We
      can feel temperature. But, if you really think about the microscopic
      molecules, there’s no notion of temperature there. It’s something that has to do
      with the property of all molecules together; it’s like the average energy
      per molecule."
      To Verlinde, gravity is similar. It’s something that only appears when you
      put many things together at a microscopic scale and then you suddenly see
      that certain equations arise. "As scientists," he observes, "we first want
      to understand nature and our universe. In doing so, we have observed things
      that are deeply puzzling, such as phenomena related to dark matter. We see
      things happening that we don’t understand. There must be more matter out
      there that we don’t see. There’s also something called ‘dark energy’. And
      then there’s the whole puzzle of the beginning of the universe. We now have
      what is called the ‘Big Bang’ theory.
      Verline belives his ideas will shed new light on the concept of ‘dark matter
      ’ and ‘dark energy’ and why they’re important in relation to gravity.
      "We think we understand gravity in most situations," he says "but when we
      look at galaxies and, on much larger scales, at galaxy clusters, we see
      things happening that we don’t understand using our familiar equations, like
      Newton’s equation of gravity or even Einstein’s gravity. So we have to
      assume there’s this mysterious form of matter, which we call dark matter, which
      we cannot see. Now dark energy is even weirder, in the sense that we don’t
      even know what it consists of. It’s something we can put in our equations
      to make things work, but there’s really a big puzzle to be solved in terms
      of why it’s there and what it’s made of. At present, we have not really
      found the right equations to describe it. There’s clearly progress to be made
      in terms of finding a better _theory of gravity_
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitation) , and understanding what’s happening in our universe."