David Brin's Existence

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2012
      I've just finished David Brin's latest novel - Existence. I give it three
      thumbs up and heartily recommend it.

      The story is set some 30-50 years in the future and covers a span of
      estimated 50-70 years. Brin portrays a world that is wonderfully diverse and
      engaging. It is not the dark forbidding worlds other writers have described,
      but a world that is moving forward. Some people are rich, some are poor,
      but the future is open for many of them.

      One aspect of this world is that there are artificial intelligences
      everywhere. We get an idea of what life could be like in a completely wired
      world.

      The story starts when a orbital garbage collector pulls in a crystal ovoid
      that seems to contain almost 100 electronically embedded alien
      personalities. This ovoid is part of an effort to contact life on other planets
      orbiting other stars. It turns out that there are thousands of these on Earth
      and much of the story revolves around getting information from these
      intelligences.

      Brin is very good at posing big questions and big ideas. Why does the
      universe seem empty? He does a good job in posing different scenarios that
      could answer Fermi's Paradox. He also suggests different ways in which
      humans might contact life around other stars.

      Brin also portrays a world that is positive. It faces life destroying
      problems, but many are working to navigate thru these.

      This is worth your time to buy and read.

      Chris

      (Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change)