"What Will a Civilization a Million Years Ahead of Earth Look Like?" (Weekend Fe

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2012
      URL to an interesting spec piece from The Daily Galaxy
      _http://tinyurl.com/9xxn4gh_ (http://tinyurl.com/9xxn4gh)
      I find this speculation somehow comforting.

      First few paragraphs plus comments"
      "For one of this weekend's features, we thought it would be interesting to
      revisit _Carl Sagan's_
      (http://musicbrainz.org/artist/5d63a48c-16fc-4515-be15-c97bf0b3e396.html) question: "What does it mean for a civilization to
      be a million years old? We have had radio telescopes and spaceships for a
      few decades; our technical civilization is a few hundred years old ... an
      advanced civilization millions of years old is as much beyond us as we are
      beyond a bushbaby or a macaque."
      _Michio Kaku_ (http://mkaku.org/home/) , professor of theoretical physics
      at City University of New York believes that Sagan's question is no longer
      just a matter of idle speculation. Kaku writes that that "one day, many of
      us could gaze at the encyclopadia that contains the coordinates of perhaps
      hundreds of _Earth-like planets_
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrestrial_planet) in our sector of the galaxy. Then we will ponder with wonder, as
      Sagan did, what an intelligent civilization a millions years ahead of ours
      will look like."

      Soon, humanity may face an existential shock as we discover Earth-sized
      twins of our planet orbiting nearby solar systems. This may usher in a new era
      in our relationship with the universe, so that we will never see the night
      sky in the same way. Realizing that scientists may eventually compile an
      encyclopedia identifying the precise coordinates of perhaps hundreds of
      Earth-like planets, gazing at the night sky, we will forever after wonder if
      someone is gazing back at us.
      Kaku takes up where some/one of the world's pioneer astronomers left off
      with a definition of civilizations in the universe that mimics the work of
      Russian astrophysicist Kardashev. Inspired at the age of five by a Moscow
      Planetariumshow about _Giordano Bruno_
      (http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=41.8955555556,12.4722222222&spn=0.01,0.01&q=41.8955555556,12.4722222222
      (Giordano%20Bruno)&t=h) , Kardashev definined three levels of advanced civilizations
      based on how they harness energy to fuel their societies.
      All three categories of civilizations, even the most advanced Type 111,
      would still be bound by the laws of physics that allow us to predict the
      behavior of the universe from the subatomic world to the _large-scale structure
      of the universe_
      (http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2012/04/weekend-feature-humans-may-be-one-of-the-first-advanced-species-in-our-universe-dimitar-sa
      sselov-of-.html) , through a staggering 43 orders of magnitude (a factor
      of 10 million billion billion billion billion).
      Type 1 civilizations would have a technological level similar to ours at
      present, as measured by total energy consumption. Carl Sagan estimated that
      Earth qualifies as a Type 0.7 civilisation._Type 11_
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_&_Koch_HK33) civilizations would be capable of harnessing
      the energy of their own star -constructing, for example, a Dyson Sphere. Type
      111 civilizations would be able to utilize energy on the scale of their
      own galaxies. Kardeschev and Kaku believe there is an extremely low
      probability of detecting Type 1 civilizations and suggests that type 11 or 111
      civilizations would make better targets.
      Kardeschev calculated that the energy consumption of these three types of
      civilizations would be separated by a factor of about 10 billion. In 1963
      Kardeschev searched for traces of the more advanced type 11 and 111 at the
      920 _MHz_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hertz) wave length creating an
      uproar of excitement thinking he had discover signals from a _Type 11_
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_&_Koch_HK33) civilization that later proved to
      be an ordinary quasar with a large red shift.
      A similar uproar occurred in 1967 when regular signals were detected by
      radio telescopes at Cambridge, England, which turned out to be the first
      discovery of neutron stars. The _Kepler telescope_ (http://kepler.nasa.gov/) ,
      launched in 2008, is able to identify terrestrial planets – rocky worlds
      rather than gas giants like Jupiter and Saturn. By the end of this year, it
      will scan as many as 100,000 Sun-like stars up to 2,000 light years away, and
      perhaps identify hundreds of Earth-like worlds by detecting the slight
      loss of light they cause as they pass in front of their mother star.
      "All this, Kaku predicts "will stimulate an active effort to discover if
      any of them harbor life, perhaps some with civilizations more advanced than
      ours. According to the laws of planetary evolution, any advanced
      civilization must grow in energy consumption faster than the frequency of
      life-threatening catastrophes, such as meteor impacts, ice ages, or supernova
      explosions. If their growth rate stays any slower, they are doomed to extinction.
      Thus, this places mathematical lower limits on the growth rates of these
      civilizations."
      Kaku believes along with Princeton physicist Freeman Dyson, that although
      human civilization has only recently begun to master planetary energies
      -fossil fuels, passive solar, wind, geothermal and nuclear fission, and may one
      day soon crack nuclear fusion-that, within a century or two, we should
      attain Type I status. In fact, growing at a modest rate of 1 per cent per
      year, Kardashev estimated that it would take only 3,200 years to reach Type II
      status, and 5,800 years to reach Type III status.
      By definition, Kaku proposes that an advanced civilization must grow faster
      than the frequency of life-threatening catastrophes. Since large meteor
      and comet impacts take place once every few thousand to million years, a
      _Type I civilization_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardashev_scale) must
      master space travel to deflect space debris within that time, which should not
      be much of a problem. Ice ages may take place on a time scale of tens of
      thousands of years, and so a Type I civilization must learn to modify the
      weather within that period.
      Artificial and internal catastrophes must also be negotiated. Global
      pollution is a mortal threat for a Type 0 civilization, but not a Type I
      civilization, which has lived for several millennia as a global force and
      necessarily achieved ecological balance with its home planet. Internal problems
      such as wars do present a serious recurring threat, but emerging civilizations
      have thousands of years in which to solve their racial, national, and
      sectarian conflicts.
      Since it would take centuries or even millennia for a Type I civilization
      to terraform nearby planets, its inhabitants will have plenty of time to
      work out their internal differences on the same planet before they finally
      leave the mother planet in any significant numbers. The only serious threat to
      a _Type II civilization_
      (http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2012/03/comment-of-the-day-the-digital-revolution-will-make-human-civilization-invisible-
      to-extraterrestrial.html) would be a nearby supernova explosion, whose
      sudden eruption could scorch their planet in a withering blast of
      life-destroying gamma-rays.
      The most potentially interesting civilization is a Type III civilization,
      "for it is truly immortal. It has exhausted the power of a single star, and
      has reached out to other star systems. No natural catastrophe known to
      science has the capacity to destroy a Type III civilization."
      Faced with an exploding supernova, a Type 111 would have several
      alternatives, for example altering the evolution of a dying red giant star which is
      about to explode, or leaving this particular star system and terraforming a
      nearby planetary system.
      However, there are roadblocks to an emerging Type III civilization.
      Eventually, Kaku posints out, it bumps into _Einstein's theory of relativity_
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_relativity) . Nothing can travel faster
      than light, which is about 300,000 kilometers a second (for a possible
      loophole, see the end of this article). Since the universe is so vast and space
      is so empty, this absolute speed limit tends to hold back a civilization's
      successful expansion.
      Dyson estimates that this roadblock may delay the transition from a Type II
      to a Type III civilization by perhaps a million years or more. So what is
      the most efficient way of exploring the hundreds of billions of stars in
      the galaxy? Kaku writes that the solution is to to send fleets of 'von
      Neumann probes' throughout the galaxy (named after _John von Neumann_
      (http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.348695,-74.592251&spn=0.01,0.01&q=40.348695,-74.59225
      1%20(John%20von%20Neumann)&t=h) , the Hungarian-born mathematician who
      defined the mathematical laws of self-replicating systems).
      A _von Neumann probe_
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-replicating_spacecraft) is a robot designed to reach distant star systems and create
      factories that will reproduce copies of themselves by the thousands. For von
      Neumann probes, a planet is a less ideal destination than a dead moon; these
      have no atmosphere and no erosion, which means the probes can easily land and
      take off and can 'live off the land', using naturally occurring deposits of
      iron, nickel and other minerals to build replicants for dispersal in
      search for other star systems.
      Arizona State University physicist Paul Davies, has even raised the
      possibility that a von Neumann probe could be resting on our own Moon, left over
      from a previous visitation in our system aeons ago -the plot foundation of
      the film, 2001: A Space Odyssey.
      Originally, apparently, Stanley Kubrick began the film with a series of
      scientists explaining how von Neumann-like probes would be the most efficient
      method of exploring space. Unfortunately, at the last minute, Kubrick cut
      the opening segment from his film, and the famous monoliths – von Neumann
      probes – became mystical entities that triggered human evolution.
      The irony of a search for a Type III civilization is that they probably
      wouldn't resemble anything we'd be able to recognize immediately.
      The image at the top of the page shows the temperature of gas in and around
      the two merging galaxy clusters, based directly on X-ray data.
      Read_ Kaku's brilliant essay_ (http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/node/1683)
      in its entirety at Cosmos Magazine.
      _Ridley Scott's 'Prometheus' --Explores Origins of Human Existence and the
      Eternal Question: "Are We Alone in the Universe?"_
      (http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2012/06/ridley-scotts-prometheus-explores-origins-of-human-exis
      tence-and-the-eternal-question-are-wew-alone-in-the-universe-r.html)
      The Daily Galaxy via Cosmosmag.com and "The Eerie Silence" by Paul Davies

      Posted at 01:00 PM | _Permalink_
      (http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2012/09/what-will-a-civilization-a-million-years-ahead-of-earth-look-like-weekend
      -feature.html)

      (http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2012/09/what-will-a-civilization-a-million-years-ahead-of-earth-look-like-weekend-feature.html#)

      (http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2012/09/what-will-a-civilization-a-million-years-ahead-of-earth-look-like-weekend-feature.html#)
      (http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2012/09/what-will-a-civilization-a-million-years-ahea
      d-of-earth-look-like-weekend-feature.html#) _3_
      (http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2012/09/what-will-a-civilization-a-million-years-ahead-of-earth-lo
      ok-like-weekend-feature.html#)

      Comments

      Fascinating!
      Posted by: terry | _September 29, 2012 at 10:43 AM_
      (http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2012/09/what-will-a-civilization-a-million-years-ahead-of-eart
      h-look-like-weekend-feature.html?cid=6a00d8341bf7f753ef017ee3dbc0e4970d#comm
      ent-6a00d8341bf7f753ef017ee3dbc0e4970d)

      Bigger, and not necessarily better, engineering projects. Why, when by
      Feynman-Wheeler perspective humanity can more easily self-assist its evolution
      downscale to the nano-world where immense energy densities (near
      black-hole) are available and planetary populations can occupy virtual matrixes.
      Posted by: resoanz | _September 29, 2012 at 11:14 AM_
      (http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2012/09/what-will-a-civilization-a-million-years-ahead-of-ea
      rth-look-like-weekend-feature.html?cid=6a00d8341bf7f753ef017c3238485e970b#co
      mment-6a00d8341bf7f753ef017c3238485e970b)

      The implication that nano has a lower shear/fracture radius and can dilate
      using a hole is valid, and shrink can cover a greater volume than big, when
      networks of devices are considered. Maybe it's not surprising the little
      aliens are fearful of engaging in a society of pseudo gargantuan dinosaurs.
      It could also be said that a nano, asteroid impacts have a more uniform
      shape, and perhaps a more uniform machinery. The big ones would be big, but
      avoidable with a lower energy as the nano-craft could rely on energy
      breakdown being 1/4 effect relative to mass, and energy storage being 1/2 to mass.
      (shrink a cube to 1/8th size cube).
      Posted by: _Simon Jackson_
      (https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxqYWNrb2tyaW5nfGd4OjRkOTgyN2YzMTUzZjdlY2Y) |
      _September 29, 2012 at 11:48 AM_
      (http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2012/09/what-will-a-civilization-a-million-years-ahead-of-earth-look-like-weekend-feature.
      html?cid=6a00d8341bf7f753ef017d3c66a762970c#comment-6a00d8341bf7f753ef017d3c
      66a762970c)

      "The irony of a search for a Type III civilization is that they probably
      wouldn't resemble anything we'd be able to recognize immediately."
      Finding a Type III civilization with our technology would be like someone
      else trying to find us by morse code transmissions.
      Posted by: _Allan W Janssen_ (http://www.blogscanada.ca/) | _September
      29, 2012 at 12:44 PM_
      (http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2012/09/what-will-a-civilization-a-million-years-ahead-of-earth-look-like-weekend-feature.html?
      cid=6a00d8341bf7f753ef017d3c66dd37970c#comment-6a00d8341bf7f753ef017d3c66dd3
      7970c)

      A better question than "what would a Type III civ look like" is to ask what
      we should be looking for.
      I think that "civilization" is a parochial concept that we only know from
      recognition. I imagine much of the universe, just like much of our own
      planet, is not "civilized" in any meaningful sense. Most of it probably harvests
      energy directly from starlight. In other words, I'd expect to see a lot
      space moss, and somewhat fewer critters that feed off that moss. Space moss
      doesn't exactly fill me with existential angst.
      I don't like the Kardashev approach of thinking about how life might plan
      on avoiding catastrophic extinction. Life on Earth has suffered through a
      good number of massive extinction events; we are going through another right
      now, and life has done virtually nothing in terms of planning every single
      time. As far as I can tell, life's only plan for dealing with extinction
      events is to be really good at growing again should conditions become
      favorable later. Moss doesn't really do anything to avoid the meteor strike; it
      just stays adaptable enough that it's offspring might have a chance after the
      apocalypse. Life doesn't plan, it simply knows how to exploit
      opportunities when they arise. The survivors look like geniuses only in retrospect.
      I suppose intelligent life is the sort that tries to plan for the future,
      although I must repeat that we are doing a shit job of it ourselves. In any
      case, if we want to find such life we are really looking for two basic
      attributes. The first is some formal mathematics that can be translated into
      our math. Mathematics is one of the primary benchmarks of human civilization,
      and I don't think we'd consider any alien life "intelligent" if it didn't
      do math. The other is stigmergy, or "technology" broadly construed:
      intelligent life manipulates its local nonbiological surroundings in some
      organized fashion in order to foster the development of more life. All life does
      this to some extent or other, but intelligent life will do it in a way that
      betrays their mathematical sophistication, like the pyramids in Egypt and
      just about every other large-scale human engineering project since.
      This tells us a few things about what we should be looking for. We don't
      need to be looking for biological signatures necessarily; instead, we should
      be looking for nonbiological systems that display a mathematical regularity
      on a grand scale, and which cannot be accounted for simply by appeal to
      more basic physical laws. To explain the structure of the pyramids you need
      to explain something about the history and social organization in Ancient
      Egypt; Newton and Einstein aren't enough.
      And that's the big, disappointing conclusion from this line of thinking,
      because Newton and Einstein do seem to be more than enough to explain the
      distribution and configuration of all the matter we see in the universe, from
      the cosmic background radiation on. All the stars and galaxies and planets
      we see in space are amazing and wonderful, and seem to be more or less
      entirely the result of plain old fundamental physics. We don't need to posit
      the existence of some sprawling intelligent intergalactic civilization that
      has modified the systems to be arranged just so; in fact, that's a big part
      of the reason we are so confident in our physics to begin with.
      But at least we know what to look for: massive engineering projects in
      space. Stigmergic infrastructure. Something that looks built, probably by
      things that know how to use a protractor. The fact that we don't see anything
      like this already suggests that if such life exists, it is either relatively
      small scale (across only a few star clusters) or so extremely far away that
      we can't detect its signatures. Neither of these possibilities gives us
      reason to think we'd detect such civilizations "soon", even if we start
      finding a lot of Earth-like planets.
      I sometimes like to pretend that dark matter is the stigmergic
      infrastructure for intergalactic civilization, that some alien race figured out how to
      organize massive clouds of energy and then cloak it to only interact weakly
      with the surrounding matter, but that if we understood the protocol we'd
      see a bustling hub of intelligent activity that overlays the rest of the
      spacetime, a kind of supergalactic internet. But again, as far as I know
      there's no reason to think that dark matter is organized in space any more
      intelligently than normal matter. Besides, how long would it reasonably take for
      life to evolve to the point where they are engineering spacetime at that
      scale? It took earth a few billion years to make us; it might just be that
      the universe is too young for all the really big engineering projects to get
      going.
      Posted by: _Daniel Estrada_
      (https://plus.google.com/u/0/117828903900236363024) | _September 29, 2012 at 01:04 PM_
      (http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2012/09/what-will-a-civilization-a-million-years-ahead-of-earth-look-like-
      weekend-feature.html?cid=6a00d8341bf7f753ef017ee3dc4c41970d#comment-6a00d834
[...]

      (https://plus.google.com/u/0/117828903900236363024) | _September 29, 2012 at 01:05 PM_
      (http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2012/09/what-will-a-civilization-a-million-years-ahead-of-earth-look-like-
      weekend-feature.html?cid=6a00d8341bf7f753ef017ee3dc4c49970d#comment-6a00d834
      1bf7f753ef017ee3dc4c49970d)

      A type 3 civilization would likely be able to create it's own gravitational
      fields. Or would have at least found a way to manipulate the universes own
      natural gravity for propulsion. Once you can create and or even just
      control gravity on a massive scale. Traveling the universe becomes child's play
      vs trying to reach the speed of light. You can simply bend space to you're
      needs, traveling vast distances instantaneously without worrying about the
      cosmic speed limit. Once a civilization has mastered the control or
      creation of gravity, the entire universe becomes it's play ground.
      Posted by: Matthew | _September 29, 2012 at 03:10 PM_
      (http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2012/09/what-will-a-civilization-a-million-years-ahead-of-ea
      rth-look-like-weekend-feature.html?cid=6a00d8341bf7f753ef017d3c67557f970c#co
      mment-6a00d8341bf7f753ef017d3c67557f970c)

      Speed of the light is limit only in our way of using it.
      here my order of civilisations divided by their technological advance :
      #1 : protocivilisation - non organised, non sentence based inventings.
      #2 : primodal civilisation - basic sentence based inventings.
      #3 : pre-electical civilisation - civilisation close to inventing
      electricity.
      #4 : base computing civilisation - civilisation utilising electronic
      devices based on mathematical-electic logic.
      #5 : base space civilisation - civilisation explored all planets within
      theis solar system.
      #6 : advanced space civilisation - civilisation teraformed all capable
      planets within their solar system, and fully utilising them, capable of
      preventing all natural planetarian disasters, and most space treats.
      cold fusion alike synthesis is a normal energy producer.
      #7 : close neighboards solar system civilisation - civilisation
      estabilished bases on a planets beyound their host solar system within distance of 20
      light years.
      #8 : non biological production dependent civilisation - a civilisation
      capable of producing their nutritions from a raw elements, with result quality
      suprerior than the natural production.
      #9 : advanced solar system civilisatio - civilisation teraformed and fully
      utilised planets within 20 light years from the host solar system, and
      spreading up to 100 light years.
      #10 : planet building civilisation - ( post close neighboard teraforming
      era ) - a civilisation capable of building planets from scratch arround
      stars.
      #11 : stars controlling civilisation - civilisation capable to control the
      life and energy production / consumption of a star, and utilise the star
      plasma directly as a raw material. Capable of preventing all space disasters.
      #12 : space bending civilisation - civilisation capable of bending space
      without creating disasters, and traveling this way within 5000 light years in
      their species normal life time.
      #13 : non-super novae treated civilisation - civilisation capable of
      shielding their bases fo super novae dead rays for a period enought to leave
      without serious damage the danger zone, and estabilish on a new one.
      #14 : galaxy exploring civilisation - civilisation capable of traveling
      across the galaxy using space bending within their normal species life time.
      #15 : galactic civilisation - civilisation spreaded trough their own
      galaxy.
      #16 : close galaxy exploring civilisation - civilisation which is exploring
      neighbord galaxy and estabilish bases there.
      #17 : basic time bending civilisation - civilisation capable of bending
      space and time for their own needs.
      #18 : multy galactic civilisation - civilisation with colonies in more than
      1 galaxy.
      #19 : cluster exploring civilisation - civilisation capable of exploring
      all galaxys in the host cluster within the normal species life time span.
      #20 : universe based civilisation - civilisation estabilished bases on most
      galaxies. Probably non biological form of civilisation.
      #21 : trans-universe exploring civilisation - civilisation capable to send
      and receive energy and information trough the dimensions. Sending trough
      the dimisions their base life creating code, copying their whole knowledge
      and creating their own species trough dimensions.
      #22 : trans-universe civilisation - civilisation estabilished bases in more
      than 1 universe ( dimensional civilisation ). their life forms can shift
      trough dimensions.
      #23 : universe building civilisation - a civilisation capable of giving
      birth to universes.
      Posted by: Yordan | _September 29, 2012 at 04:44 PM_
      (http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2012/09/what-will-a-civilization-a-million-years-ahead-of-ear
      th-look-like-weekend-feature.html?cid=6a00d8341bf7f753ef017ee3dcfd39970d#com
      ment-6a00d8341bf7f753ef017ee3dcfd39970d)

      civilisation of class #1 to #6 is goin to look like their original
      biological form.
      civilisation of class #7 to #9 probably goin to be more cybernatic body
      enchansed, plus notable differences within the seme species on different
      colones.
      civilisation of class #10 to #12 probably goin to be mostly cybernatic look
      alike.
      civilisation of class #12 to #15 probably goin to be returned to their
      biological roots plus self enachansed their DNA within a very short period of
      time in order to face fast different environments.
      civilisation of class #16 to #20 probably goin to be form shifting, DNS
      shifting multy-brain species.
      civilisation of class #21 and above probably goin to be electrical or/and
      bioplasma based form of life.
      Posted by: Yordan | _September 30, 2012 at 04:16 AM_
      (http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2012/09/what-will-a-civilization-a-million-years-ahead-of-ear
      th-look-like-weekend-feature.html?cid=6a00d8341bf7f753ef017d3c69ffb4970c#com
      ment-6a00d8341bf7f753ef017d3c69ffb4970c)

      Very interesting article. Editor's note: C.J., Thanks for the heads up.
      Edits have been made. With thanks.
      Posted by: C.J. | _September 30, 2012 at 11:16 AM_
      (http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2012/09/what-will-a-civilization-a-million-years-ahead-of-earth
      -look-like-weekend-feature.html?cid=6a00d8341bf7f753ef017d3c6b8f22970c#comme
      nt-6a00d8341bf7f753ef017d3c6b8f22970c)

      I wonder if there are actually any loopholes in the universal speed
      limit... if not, then we may never witness advanced civilizations in other
      galaxies. With that pessimistic view the best we could hope is to send probes out
      as far into the Milky Way as possible, that is if we can't find anything
      just with observation from within our own solar system.
      Then again I do view everything as information so I'm not counting out
      travelling much greater distances. But then you run into the problem of why
      everything isn't already saturated with life. The speed limit so far seems
      like the simplest explanation to me.
      Posted by: _PK_ (http://kingdeluxe.ca/) | _September 30, 2012 at 11:55 AM_
      (http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2012/09/what-will-a-civilization-a-mil
      lion-years-ahead-of-earth-look-like-weekend-feature.html?cid=6a00d8341bf7f75
      3ef017d3c6bb00d970c#comment-6a00d8341bf7f753ef017d3c6bb00d970c) "

      Chris

      (Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change)