New Theory of Dark Matter & Energy Alters Einstein's View of Spacetime

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 2012
      URL to an interesting post from Daily Galaxy
      _http://tinyurl.com/9tvtqn6_ (http://tinyurl.com/9tvtqn6)

      A pair of mathematicians -- one from Indiana University and the other from
      _Sichuan University_
      (http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=30.63016,104.09001&spn=1.0,1.0&q=30.63016,104.09001 (Sichuan%20University)&t=h) in China -- have
      proposed a unified theory of dark matter and _dark energy_
      (http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2012/06/evolution-of-dark-matter-in-the-observable-unive
      rse-video.html) that alters _Einstein's equations_
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_field_equations) describing the fundamentals of gravity.
      "In a nutshell, we believe that new gravity theory will change our view on
      energy, gravitational interactions, and the structure and formation of our
      universe," said Shouhong Wang, a professor of mathematics at Indiana
      University.
      Wang and Tian Ma, a professor at Sichuan University, suggest the law of
      energy and _momentum conservation_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momentum) in
      spacetime is valid only when normal matter, dark matter and dark energy
      are all taken into account. For normal matter alone, energy and momentum are
      no longer conserved, they argue.
      While still employing the metric of _curved spacetime_
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_relativity) that Einstein used in his field equations,
      the researchers argue the presence of dark matter and dark energy -- which
      scientists believe accounts for at least 95 percent of the universe --
      requires a new set of gravitational field equations that take into account a new
      type of energy caused by the non-uniform distribution of matter in the
      universe. This new energy can be both positive and negative, and the total over
      spacetime is conserved, Wang said.
      It is curved spacetime, along with a new scalar potential field
      representing the new energy density, and the interactions between the two that form
      the foundation for the new gravitational field equations.
      "Many people have come up with different theories for dark energy," Wang
      said. "Unfortunately, the mystery remains, and in fact, the nature of dark
      energy is now perhaps the most profound mystery in cosmology and
      astrophysics. It is considered the most outstanding problem in theoretical physics.
      "The other great mystery concerning our universe is that it contains much
      more matter than can be accounted for in our visible stars. The missing mass
      is termed as dark matter, and despite many attempts at detecting dark
      matter, the mystery remains and even deepens."
      The researchers postulate that the _energy-momentum tensor_
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress%e2%80%93energy_tensor) of normal matter is no longer
      conserved and that new gravitational field equations follow from Einstein's
      principles of equivalence and general relativity, and the principle of _Lagrangian
      dynamics_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrangian_mechanics) , just as
      Einstein derived his field equations. Wang said the new equations were the
      unique outcome of the non-conservation of the energy-momentum tensor of normal
      matter."

      Chris

      (I reject your reality and substitute my own)