"Our Universe a Result of a Collision of Two 3-D Worlds"

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 13, 2012
      URL to an article from The Daily Galaxy
      _http://tinyurl.com/95n22lb_ (http://tinyurl.com/95n22lb)

      First few paragraphs

      "_Paul Steinhardt_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Steinhardt) of
      _Princeton University_
      (http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.34873,-74.65931&spn=0.01,0.01&q=40.34873,-74.65931 (Princeton%20University)&t=h) has proposed a
      "_Ekpyrotic Model_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ekpyrotic_universe) " of the
      Universe that describes our current universe as arising from a collision of
      two three-dimensional worlds (branes) in a space with an extra (fourth)
      _spatial dimension_
      (http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2012/06/the-greatdark-energy-debate-does-the-mysterious-anti-gravitaional-force-driving-the-unive
      rse-apart-e.html) . The proposal is interesting in and of itself, but also
      because it is the precursor to a more powerful and explanatory theory, the
      _Cyclic Model_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclic_model) .
      The term ekpyrotic derives from``ekpyrosis" meaning ``conflagration" in
      Greek, and refers to an ancient Stoic _cosmological model_
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_cosmology) . According to the model, the universe is
      created in a sudden burst of fire, not unlike the collision between
      three-dimensional worlds in our model. The current universe evolves from the
      initial fire.* In the public mind, the _Big Bang model_
      (http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2012/07/some-black-holes-existed-prior-to-the-big-bang-were-assim
      ilated-into-newly-formed-universe-todays-mo.html) means that the universe
      began from a single point, underwent an explosion, and has been flying
      apart ever since. However, the big bang is not an explosion at all, rather the
      big bang is the expansion or stretching of space with all things are moving
      away from each other.The beginning of the big bang picture was the _cosmic
      singularity_
      (http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2012/07/new-singularity-in-space-time-found.html) , when the universe has nearly infinite density
      and temperature.
      There are some skeptics, Steinhardt notes, who have written "the Big Bang
      never happened", by which they mean that the universe is not expanding today
      and it never has been. They say this despite overwhelming evidence in
      favor of expansion and cooling today and for the last 15 billion years.
      The Ekpyrotic model does amends the earliest moments of the Big Bang story.
      "Instead of beginning with nearly infinite temperature and density,"
      Steinhardt writes, "the universe began in a very different state - cold and
      nearly vacuous. The hot expanding universe we know came as a result of
      collision that brought the universe up to a large but finite temperature and
      density. The rest of the story is as the Big Bang model would have it, but the
      beginning is different."
      The Big bang model, with no amendments, he emphazies, "would tend to
      produce a universe that is highly inhomogeneous, with a warped and curved space,
      and no natural mechanism for making stars, galaxies and larger scale
      structures in the universe. Cosmologists have been trying to correct these
      deficiencies by amending the early history of the universe - within the first
      billionth billionth billionths of s second or less. One proposal is the
      "_inflationary theory_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflation_(cosmology)) " of
      the universe, which proposes that the universe began hot and dense, and
      underwent a period of hyperexpansion. The ekpyrotic model is a new alternative,
      which is, in many ways, a more radical departure from the Big Bang
      concept."

      Chris

      The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some great ideas!