Re: [greatbiggroup] Discussion Topic #6 - Future Religion

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2012
      I think the major religions - Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Hindu, Buddhism
      - will still be around in 500 years. We might have trouble recognizing
      them if we jumped forward with our bobbles to the year 2512, but they'd still
      call themselves what they call themselves today.

      Today there is a trend among people in the US and parts of Europe to call
      themselves 'Nones' They don't adhere to any one religion, but pick and
      choose from a sort of buffet of other religions. Others consider themselves
      spiritual but don't take the trappings of any religion.

      I'm not sure if humans will ever get away from religion - there will always
      be questions that science can't answer, such as why did my gentle happy
      Mother have to die, what will happen after I die, why do bad thing happen to
      good people, why are we here?

      Chris

      In a message dated 8/2/2012 5:42:03 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      Darthmencken@... writes:

      Will every "major" (numbering at least in the millions), organized (having
      fairly well-defined and stable dogmas and clerical structure) religion
      that exists today, still be around in *recognizable* form 100, 200, 500 years
      from now? Will any new ones (whether an existing but marginal one like
      Bahai or Scientology, or something *totally* new that doesn't exist yet) attain
      majority status (comparable to Christianity and Islam right now) in that
      time?

      I know quite a few of us are . . . lukewarm or skeptical at best on the
      subject of organized religion! Keep in mind, we're pretty much in the
      minority on a global scale! Need to focus on what's *likely* to happen, given
      current trends and Human nature. Not on what we ourselves would *like* to
      happen. Truly, nothing that has proven so useful to politicians will ever go
      extinct before they do!

      Assume for this purpose that no global disasters (Yellowstone Blast, etc)
      significant enough to totally upset the playing field, occur in this time.
      Also note that many of the better known world religions have existed for
      millennia already, and have seen quite their share of disasters (natural and
      otherwise), and deliberate attempts to stamp them out (this particular
      religion or that, not religion in general, except in Communist countries).

      How will Muslims living 100, 200, or 500 years from now regard the era
      we're in now, and how they (their fellows in faith living right now) conducted
      themselves at the time: Proud, ashamed, penitent, in denial, or what?

      How will Christians centuries from now regard the time when, in one major
      country at least, they allied themselves with, and became all but
      indistinguishable from, a party concerned primarily with preserving large
      concentrations of wealth and pathologically unconcerned with the consequences of
      elective wars?

      DM